Impossible to gain VA residency while in school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zephyr36

Impossible to gain VA residency while in school?

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Is there anyway to gain residency in VA during 1L in order to gain in-state tuition for 2L? If I register to vote, register my car, and get a VA driver's license, is there a way I could get classified as a resident for next year?

Knock

Re: Impossible to gain VA residency while in school?

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:03 pm

zephyr36 wrote:Is there anyway to gain residency in VA during 1L in order to gain in-state tuition for 2L? If I register to vote, register my car, and get a VA driver's license, is there a way I could get classified as a resident for next year?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html:

VIRGINIA: To be considered as a Virginia resident, you must live ("domicile" as they put it, meaning either you or your spouse owns property or has their name on the lease of a property in Virginia) within the State of Virginia for 12 months prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which you'd like to be getting in-state tuition. You must also demonstrate your intent to remain in Virginia by doing the usual things: Paying state income taxes in VA, getting a VA driver's license, etc. Being a Virginia resident also slightly boosts the likelihood of getting into University of Virginia, as 40% of admitted students must be Virginia residents. Those very focused on attending UVA may consider spending one year in D.C. and living in nearby Arlington, VA. William & Mary is also an excellent public law school in Virginia.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”