Page 1 of 1

BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:06 pm
by desespere
I got in at BU with 25k a year and free housing (though I have to be an RA), so total CoA ~76k . I think I want to do government work, probably criminal law, and want to live in either Boston or NYC after graduating. I have a 3.79 (though that'll probably drop a bit after this semester) and a 167 LSAT. I notice a lot of ominous mutterings on TLS about job prospects outside the T14, and I am something of a prestige whore by inclination, but am I just being dumb in thinking about re-taking the LSAT and trying again next cycle? I'd be in grad school on a fellowship for that year. Thanks in advance everyone.

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm
by bk1
I'd take BU at 75k CoA for NYC/Boston pretty much every time over the T14 unless the T14 was 125k CoA or less.

It would probably take a 168 at bare minimum to have a shot at the T14, though more likely you'd need a 170+. I'm thinking that only a 172+ would actually be worth it because in my opinion you would need a large scholarship to counter the BU offer.

How do you feel about getting a 172+? How do you feel about waiting a year? How likely would you be to get a similar offer from BU next year if you didn't improve?

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 pm
by romothesavior
If you can get a 170+, then retake. But BU with 75k is a fine option. BU is one of the best non-T14s for biglaw placement, if that's what you're shooting for.

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:12 pm
by scammedhard
I'd say go to BU. You got a pretty a sweet deal and you should be very proud. Congrats.

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:16 pm
by CanadianWolf
Boston University unless you really want Cornell.

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:19 pm
by dakatz
BU is one of the very bed non-T14 schools out there. Unless you are sure you would hit 170 or above, then def go with BU

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm
by Perch
CanadianWolf wrote:Boston University unless you really want Cornell.


Or GULC? why C in particular?

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:39 pm
by whymeohgodno
Surprised you didn't get Cornell.

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:38 pm
by desespere
I'd have no qualms about waiting a year because I actually really like the grad school program I was accepted into. As for the LSAT, breaking 172 would be possible (I PT'd there a couple of times) but would take a ton of studying and some luck. Hmm, food for thought. Thanks.

Cornell is holding my application, but I seriously doubt they'll admit me, let alone give me enough money to make it a legitimate option.

Re: BU $$$ vs. Re-apply

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm
by tea_drinker
desespere wrote:I'd have no qualms about waiting a year because I actually really like the grad school program I was accepted into. As for the LSAT, breaking 172 would be possible (I PT'd there a couple of times) but would take a ton of studying and some luck. Hmm, food for thought. Thanks.

Cornell is holding my application, but I seriously doubt they'll admit me, let alone give me enough money to make it a legitimate option.



Reiterate what everyone has said. You don't sound too confident on the prospect of getting 172+. Also, not all T14 degrees may help you crack the boston market.