Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby HyeMart » Sat May 07, 2011 12:04 pm

looking at employment states on law school transparency, GW is definitely above the other t30's. They have 70-80% reporting ( i forgot the exact number), and the 25% salary was 160k. Only other non-14 I looked at that matched it was USC (I did not look at Fordham or Boston U/C). Emory, WUSTL, and alot of others did noticeably worse, and I don't imagine rutgers camden would be better off.

The question i think is how much you like your current job. Graduating from camden, i'm assuming you could continue the job you have now. You should be comparing here how much your current job stacks up against GW

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:17 pm

HyeMart wrote:looking at employment states on law school transparency, GW is definitely above the other t30's. They have 70-80% reporting ( i forgot the exact number), and the 25% salary was 160k. Only other non-14 I looked at that matched it was USC (I did not look at Fordham or Boston U/C). Emory, WUSTL, and alot of others did noticeably worse, and I don't imagine rutgers camden would be better off.

The question i think is how much you like your current job. Graduating from camden, i'm assuming you could continue the job you have now. You should be comparing here how much your current job stacks up against GW

Few things to point out. The 25% income on LST is 160k but that only represents 51% of the class. Which would mean 38% of the class is making that much. Emory and WUSTL are both place people in secondary markets where the top firms pay less than 160k because of COL. For instance, in St. Louis a market job is 110k because that goes about as far, if not farther, than 160k in DC or NYC. Which means that looking at the stats GW, WUSTL, and Emory did roughly similar according to LST. Lastly, none of them are doing near that well now.


To address OP's question, i'm confused to why you have a company paying for tuition but you have no chance of working there after graduation? This whole thing doesn't really add up and, if you are telling the truth, it's one of the worst run companies i've ever heard of. But with your choices, GW is certainly not worth 220k in debt.

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby HyeMart » Sat May 07, 2011 12:26 pm

GW, 25% was 160k with 75% of the private sector employment responding.

I wouldn't consider Atlanta, a secondary market. their 25% is 75k with 89 percent of private responding.

WUSTL is 110k at 25% with 70% or private reporting. I dont know where WU feeds most, but im guessing its chicago, and ithats not a secondary market.

[url]//www.lawschooltransparency.com/2011/04/class-of-2009-u-s-news-data/[/url]

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:39 pm

HyeMart wrote:GW was 75% of the private sector employment responding.

I wouldn't consider Atlanta, a secondary market. their 25% is 75k with 89 percent of private responding.

WUSTL is 110k at 25% with 70% or private reporting. I dont know where WU feeds most, but im guessing its chicago, and ithats not a secondary market.

[url]://www.lawschooltransparency.com/2011/04/class-of-2009-u-s-news-data/[/url]

CHECK YO READING COMPREHENSION AND STRAWMAN

The 25th, median, and 75th percentiles only reference those employed in PRIVATE PRACTICE. 70% of those reporting reported private practice. Since 100% of the class didn't report and of those that reported only 75% reported salaries, the salary quartile range represents 51% of the class. Both WUSTL and Emory had more people responding in terms of salary range than GW did. Seriously, the data isn't hard to interpret.

And it's fine that you don't consider Atlanta a secondary market, but it is. And the firms pay less than 160k. So does almost every other firm in the midwest. WUSTL places people across the country which means that the 160k is represented by those who went to NYC, DC, LA, and the Bay Area. But anyone who worked at a similar firm in St. Louis, Indy, Columbus, Minneanapolis, Atlanta, Miami etc. made less than that despite it being a similar firm. In fact, a lot of the biglaw firms in Chicago pay 145k not 160k. Using 160k as the key to what school is places better then the next is misleading, at best. Since 110k is biglaw in several of the midwest cities than it stands to reason, looking at the LST facts, that they all placed similarly.

And again, to reiterate, none of those three schools are placing that well now.

ardvark666
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby ardvark666 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Ok, I think this thread has served its purpose for me. As I said, I will stick to RU Camden and Penn :o . Sorry for providing doubt, I agree that my employer should at least attempt to harvest their own but I can't say who it is. Believe what you want, it is a very large corporation and they do not encourage us to move up. The education is simply a benefit, not really a tool that they use for their gain. Plus I don't want to look at the logo every day for another 20+ years.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:07 pm

ardvark666 wrote:Ok, I think this thread has served its purpose for me. As I said, I will stick to RU Camden and Penn :o . Sorry for providing doubt, I agree that my employer should at least attempt to harvest their own but I can't say who it is. Believe what you want, it is a very large corporation and they do not encourage us to move up. The education is simply a benefit, not really a tool that they use for their gain. Plus I don't want to look at the logo every day for another 20+ years.

Very odd, i've never heard of that before. Anyways, take the free ride or go into debt for a school much better than GW. Good luck.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby keg411 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:12 pm

ardvark666 wrote:Oh and I am a Yankees/Giants fan in the Philly market so I have to agree with being tired of the Phillies gear. When I moved out here only old people and frat boys wore Phillies stuff. Now everybody has jumped on the bandwagon for the worlds losingest team. I would hate it if I were a Phillies fan only because frontrunners suck. They drive up prices right until the team sucks again and poof, they are gone. Take it from a RU season tix holder. 18 to 50$ in one season. Boooo.
Honestly, I hope everyone on here does well in law. I hope the economy allows for better job prospects. And I really hope that the T14 or bust people get smacked with the reality that their pretentiousness will get them nowhere in life. It ain't all about the surface, sometimes you actually need to perform.


If you end up at Rutgers, you will likely see a 2L around next year decked out in Yankees stuff occasionally if it makes you feel better :D. I have to admit, I do find the Phillies/Eagles Sunday morning Wegman's crowd absolutely fascinating, though.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby 20160810 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:45 am

Not sure how Drexel got into this thread, but I highly doubt it's going to be ranked north of Rutgers. Rutgers might not be Harvard, but it's a solid enough T2 school. If money's equal, it always makes more sense to go with the known quantity.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby 83947368 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:08 am

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ardvark666
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Is it worth it to pay for GW over Rutgers Camden free?

Postby ardvark666 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:01 am

I am a tad shocked at the disbelief on here. Not that I need to defend it but essentially, I have a contract that covers tuition for undergrad and grad degrees. The grad degrees need to be approved (it was a pain in the ass for confirmation) but cover almost everything. Its a union contract, mgmt does not have anything covered past ug degrees. Again, as long as it is from an accredited institution they pay. I have to pay for books and my computer. What is alarming to me is the fact that less than 2% of the workforce uses the program for college. More use it for vocational classes (cdl, welding, a++, etc.) than anything else. According to my plan admin I am the first to inquire about a j.d.

This is also not that rare in large global corporations. Well the undergrad part anyway.

Anyway, I will look for the Yankees gear on campus. I am prob going to switch to the ru forum once (if) I get my acceptance letter. Thanks everybody




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CHyde and 6 guests