UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia v. Penn Levy

Columbia with $75K
19
26%
Levy at Penn ($150K)
53
74%
 
Total votes: 72

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby Veyron » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:17 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Nah, I think its because apps are down this year. I see people with my numbers getting a good deal more money than I did.

Yeah probably that too. But I know or have seen on TLS a good 5 or 6 levy people that turned it down this cycle :\


I think thats par for the course. The Levy is our "please don't go to Harvard/Yale" scholarship. I'm actually a bit surprised this dude got it, financial aid must have miscalculated.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby Unemployed » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:17 pm

You would be crazy not to go to Penn, ESPECIALLY if your goal is biglaw.

-Columbia 2L.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:59 pm

How about turning it down in June so they can give it to me after my retake? :mrgreen:

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:17 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Image

n

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:26 pm

I voted Penn. The difference in career prospects is not worth 75K. Penn is still a great school and you'll graduate with relatively little debt.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby swc65 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
Undecided123 wrote:Wow. I'm surprised that the vote has been unanimously for Penn so far. I thought it would be closer.

Again: my primary consideration is getting biglaw.
It's undeniable that CLS places a higher percentage of its students in biglaw.
Does having the Levy on my app provide THAT much of a boost?

I got the Levy but there's no guarantee that I'll be near the top third. I can go to CLS and have a relatively lower class rank but still get biglaw.

I'm honestly 50/50 here. I just feel like I'm missing something because I certainly did not expect unanimous Penn.


Does CLS place better than Penn into biglaw? Probably, but only marginally so. Anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of grads at Penn/CLS aren't getting biglaw. Because the difference between these two schools is so small, it makes no sense to take out 150k in loans for CLS versus taking out half of that for Penn. If you miss out on biglaw, and it is definitely possible out of both schools, you will be much safer at Penn. Plus, even if you hit biglaw, you will be better off out at Penn.

CLS's marginally better placement is not worth paying double the money that you would at Penn.


Seconded- CLS had, what, two percent better BL placement last year? and four the year before. I, personally would take the extra 75K plus diff. in COL.
Last edited by swc65 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justhoping
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby justhoping » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:How about turning it down in June so they can give it to me after my retake? :mrgreen:


really? they'd increase your scholly just because you retake and do better on a test? or are you thinking of reapply?

btw I vote Penn. As much as I love Columbia, I don't think it's worth 75k more than Penn.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:38 pm

justhoping wrote:
r6_philly wrote:How about turning it down in June so they can give it to me after my retake? :mrgreen:


really? they'd increase your scholly just because you retake and do better on a test? or are you thinking of reapply?

btw I vote Penn. As much as I love Columbia, I don't think it's worth 75k more than Penn.


It's a joke, hence the smiley

But I'd reapply if I score a lot better.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:44 pm

op's just being a lay prestige whore. :roll:

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby Veyron » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:46 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:op's just being a lay prestige whore. :roll:


CLS has lay prestige? Maybe in NYC.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:op's just being a lay prestige whore. :roll:


CLS has lay prestige? Maybe in NYC.


More than Penn, even you have to concede to that. Penn State Penn is right around there with Michigan and Virginia. Maybe Penn has a little bit more because it's an Ivy.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby IHaveLawyers » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 pm

--ImageRemoved--

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby rose711 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Are you seriously considering turning down a named scholarship (at an excellent school in a region you are happy with) with all that comes with it to go to a school that places marginally better in biglaw? Going any place but Penn is a huge and costly mistake. Why do you need other people to tell you this?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Free is good.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Free is good.


OP is


--ImageRemoved--

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Free is good.


OP is


--ImageRemoved--


LOL

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby irie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:04 pm

I think that Penn is the right answer here... but in case you're wondering these are the stats for Columbia current 2L class (SA numbers from fall 2010 OCI)

312 students accepted an offer from a v100 during 2L EIP last year, ~50% of these were in "v20" firms, over 80% were in "v60" firms. This doesn't account for those who got biglaw jobs in secondary markets and at smaller firms in primary markets post-EIP.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby Veyron » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:13 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Veyron wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:op's just being a lay prestige whore. :roll:


CLS has lay prestige? Maybe in NYC.


More than Penn, even you have to concede to that. Penn State Penn is right around there with Michigan and Virginia. Maybe Penn has a little bit more because it's an Ivy.


They are the same in that department. Few people know Columbia outside of NYC, few people know Penn outside of Philly. If you want lay prestige, go to H,Y, GULC :wink: .

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Veyron wrote:They are the same in that department. Few people know Columbia outside of NYC, few people know Penn outside of Philly. If you want lay prestige, go to H,Y, GULC Cornell :wink: .

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Veyron wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Veyron wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:op's just being a lay prestige whore. :roll:


CLS has lay prestige? Maybe in NYC.


More than Penn, even you have to concede to that. Penn State Penn is right around there with Michigan and Virginia. Maybe Penn has a little bit more because it's an Ivy.


They are the same in that department. Few people know Columbia outside of NYC, few people know Penn outside of Philly. If you want lay prestige, go to H,Y, GULC :wink: .


Except people actually know where NYC is.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Except people actually know where NYC is.


But people don't know that Columbia is in NYC. When I hear Columbia, I think of Columbia Tristar.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Veyron wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:op's just being a lay prestige whore. :roll:


CLS has lay prestige? Maybe in NYC.


More than Penn, even you have to concede to that. Penn State Penn is right around there with Michigan and Virginia. Maybe Penn has a little bit more because it's an Ivy.


They are the same in that department. Few people know Columbia outside of NYC, few people know Penn outside of Philly. If you want lay prestige, go to H,Y,?GULC :wink: .


Egregious anti- Stanford trolling?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Except people actually know where NYC is.


But people don't know that Columbia is in NYC. When I hear Columbia, I think of Columbia Tristar.


But when people hear UPENN they think Penn State. That's undoubtedly worse than Columbia Tristar.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UPenn Levy ($150K) vs. Columbia ($75K)

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
But when people hear UPENN they think Penn State. That's undoubtedly worse than Columbia Tristar.


My point is if you say Columbia, it doesn't even sound like a school. It's either the country, or the lady with the torch.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests