UConn vs. American U

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 pm

red_alertz wrote:if u have to go, American is a better law school


please stop posting nonsense

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:16 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
red_alertz wrote:if u have to go, American is a better law school


please stop posting nonsense


how is American not a better school than Uconn? American is at least a T1(though bottom of T1 this year)

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm

red_alertz wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
red_alertz wrote:if u have to go, American is a better law school


please stop posting nonsense


how is American not a better school than Uconn? American is at least a T1(though bottom of T1 this year)


well it is a better ranked school. but it is not worth an extra 100k. and to say otherwise is pure and simple egregious trolling.

Lotus24
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby Lotus24 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:19 pm

gwuorbust, what's your ish with american? just curious! saw you alluding to your dislike of the school on other posts as well.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Lotus24 wrote:gwuorbust, what's your ish with american? just curious! saw you alluding to your dislike of the school on other posts as well.


the fact that they give out little scholarship $. GW & Tulane are expensive but they give out a lot of scholarship money. I would highly advocate American IF they gave out schlys. But at sticker American is way to expensive (as are similar schools like GMU(out of state), Tulane, Cardozo, etc.).

but the fact that they don't give out money indicates to me that American = one gigantic money grab.

Lotus24
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby Lotus24 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

fair point.

as a related note, even before this thread I wasn't a fan of their tone in discussing financial aid. Example from their website: "It is expected that you and your family will make a reasonable effort to contribute to your education". I mean, my parents will help me out where they can, but I'm lucky. I think that's an unacceptable and unfair assumption for a lot, if not most people.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
red_alertz wrote:NOT TRUE, even T3 and T4 grads will earn 40k-70k after graduation, just look it up the median for these schools, american being a T1 and UCONN defacto T1 will certainly do better, i don't recall the data, but i'd think the medican would be around 100k?

Shut up. Seriously. You have no idea what you are talking about, and it is borderline unethical for you to continue to propagate this mindless drivel. When it comes to choosing a law school, people's livelihoods are on the line. Stop encouraging people to restrict (or in many cases, destroy) their financial and career opportunities.


+1

But I really think red_alertz is a rather complex permaflame though. Fairly brilliant, but obnoxious and potentially harmful.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Lotus24 wrote:fair point.

as a related note, even before this thread I wasn't a fan of their tone in discussing financial aid. Example from their website: "It is expected that you and your family will make a reasonable effort to contribute to your education". I mean, my parents will help me out where they can, but I'm lucky. I think that's an unacceptable and unfair assumption for a lot, if not most people.


That is exactly what I am talking about. they are profiteering off hapless students overeager to break into DC.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
red_alertz wrote:NOT TRUE, even T3 and T4 grads will earn 40k-70k after graduation, just look it up the median for these schools, american being a T1 and UCONN defacto T1 will certainly do better, i don't recall the data, but i'd think the medican would be around 100k?

Shut up. Seriously. You have no idea what you are talking about, and it is borderline unethical for you to continue to propagate this mindless drivel. When it comes to choosing a law school, people's livelihoods are on the line. Stop encouraging people to restrict (or in many cases, destroy) their financial and career opportunities.


+1

But I really think red_alertz is a rather complex permaflame though. Fairly brilliant, but obnoxious and potentially harmful.

I don't think so. He was stubborn early on, but he seems to be making a more concerted effort to take stuff in and he seems more receptive to the notion that J.D. doesn't equal just dollaz. I think it just took him a while to realize that the conventional wisdom re: law school is way off and that TLS's pessimism is pretty well-grounded in reality.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby ran12 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Even at even money American is not the better school. American is at the bottom of the totem pole behind at least a handful of schools for DC. UConn on the other hand has a good grasp on the CT market. Plus, American is not that well respected in DC. Doesn't matter what you read about ranking or things like that. Anyone who's been in DC for a while will tell you the same thing.

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby voltage88 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:17 am

If you have to go next year, please do yourself a favor and choose UConn. Don't listen to anyone who says "American is ranked higher, therefore it's the better choice." That's a bunch of crap advice. American is ranked higher this year, yes. But a 2-3 years ago UConn was ranked higher. So what? The rankings change year in and year out and it makes zero difference with regards to the quality of the law school relative to other comparable schools.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby paratactical » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:43 am

bk1 wrote:
Lotus24 wrote:I know the consensus on this thread is to reapply, and as you can see, I might possibly consider once I have all the information on the table. But given my current situation, would reaching out to Fordham be advisable or is all hope lost? This thread has pretty much helped me rule out American, thanks!


My same advice holds from the last time you asked that question:

bk1 wrote:No because at this point you would be paying sticker and sticker at Fordham is pretty awful.

+1

If you wait and reapply next year to Fordamn ED, you won't be getting any money either. This is just a bad idea.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:I don't think so. He was stubborn early on, but he seems to be making a more concerted effort to take stuff in and he seems more receptive to the notion that J.D. doesn't equal just dollaz. I think it just took him a while to realize that the conventional wisdom re: law school is way off and that TLS's pessimism is pretty well-grounded in reality.


thanks to u sir, i am abt to be banned if I uphold my view, freedom of speech

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UConn vs. American U

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:I don't think so. He was stubborn early on, but he seems to be making a more concerted effort to take stuff in and he seems more receptive to the notion that J.D. doesn't equal just dollaz. I think it just took him a while to realize that the conventional wisdom re: law school is way off and that TLS's pessimism is pretty well-grounded in reality.

It's because I warned him the hammer is coming.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alive97, Exabot [Bot], jjcorvino, trebekismyhero, vm223, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests