UConn vs. American U Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
red_alertz

Bronze

Re: UConn vs. American U

Post by red_alertz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:43 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
bk187 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:I am, on the other hand, sometimes your info is so outrageously elitists it's hard to bare
It really isn't elitist. People on TLS don't tell you to go to the better school simply because it is prestigious but rather because the better school offers materially better job prospects. The legal field and legal hiring is very driven by prestige so it forces prospective students to care about prestige as well.

TLS doesn't say that people will fail to find a decent job coming out of a TTT or TTTT school because they want to see people fail but because the majority of kids coming out of these schools end up unemployed, employed part time, or employed in a job that doesn't require a JD and none of those jobs can help to pay off the $100,000 or more in loans that the average law school grad racks up.
don't feed the troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Lotus24 wrote:thanks for everyone's thoughts...

ummm....just to bring it back to my original question for a sec, I have a question about not having heard from Fordham yet. Should I take it as likely that it's a no or a waitlist given I still have nothing from them? I applied late in the cycle (submitted Feb 11). I saw their first deadline was April 15th, so it is safe to assume anything??

Thanks for all the valuable advice so far. Most of this has been helpful :)
To get this back on track I will echo what other people have said:

1. Only go to UConn if you want to work in CT. Also, this probably means a small firm in CT.

2. International human rights is mythical and practically nonexistent.

3. If you want to work in NYC/DC you should retake/reapply as American is really an awful school to pay a lot of money for considering how competitive DC is. DC has very few jobs compared to NYC and coming from American you have to compete with the T14 and other strong regional schools that all place better than American. If you want NYC/DC I would recommend either a T14 at sticker or a large scholarship to a school like Fordham/GW/BU/BC. If you really can't get one of those and still want NYC/DC then take a large scholarship to a school in that area that has minimal stipulations on maintaining the scholly.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:48 pm

bk187 wrote:
Lotus24 wrote:thanks for everyone's thoughts...

ummm....just to bring it back to my original question for a sec, I have a question about not having heard from Fordham yet. Should I take it as likely that it's a no or a waitlist given I still have nothing from them? I applied late in the cycle (submitted Feb 11). I saw their first deadline was April 15th, so it is safe to assume anything??

Thanks for all the valuable advice so far. Most of this has been helpful :)
To get this back on track I will echo what other people have said:

1. Only go to UConn if you want to work in CT. Also, this probably means a small firm in CT.

2. International human rights is mythical and practically nonexistent.

3. If you want to work in NYC/DC you should retake/reapply as American is really an awful school to pay a lot of money for considering how competitive DC is. DC has very few jobs compared to NYC and coming from American you have to compete with the T14 and other strong regional schools that all place better than American. If you want NYC/DC I would recommend either a T14 at sticker or a large scholarship to a school like Fordham/GW/BU/BC. If you really can't get one of those and still want NYC/DC then take a large scholarship to a school in that area that has minimal stipulations on maintaining the scholly.
why probably means a small firm in CT?
if what american claim to be their strength is really non-existent, are they making things up? what happen to american graduate then?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm

red_alertz wrote:why probably means a small firm in CT?
Because the majority of grads at every school work in small firms. This is even more prevalent at lower ranked schools where fewer kids get biglaw. The majority of UConn grads probably work in small firms in CT so OP should be okay with doing that if OP attends UConn.
red_alertz wrote:if what american claim to be their strength is really non-existent, are they making things up? what happen to american graduate then?
All schools claim they offer excellent course offerings in practice area X. The thing is, these things don't translate into actual jobs for graduates because prestige is a huge factor in legal hiring. Also of note is that these practice areas (environmental law, international law, etc) are often very very small and thus have very few jobs available. Since they are also heavily desired these sorts of jobs usually go to the top grads of top schools who have the connections/skills for the given field. American and other middling schools do not provide the necessary attributes to break into these things even if they market themselves as such.

Turtledove

New

Post by Turtledove » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 pm

bk187 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:why probably means a small firm in CT?
Because the majority of grads at every school work in small firms. This is even more prevalent at lower ranked schools where fewer kids get biglaw. The majority of UConn grads probably work in small firms in CT so OP should be okay with doing that if OP attends UConn.
red_alertz wrote:if what american claim to be their strength is really non-existent, are they making things up? what happen to american graduate then?
All schools claim they offer excellent course offerings in practice area X. The thing is, these things don't translate into actual jobs for graduates because prestige is a huge factor in legal hiring. Also of note is that these practice areas (environmental law, international law, etc) are often very very small and thus have very few jobs available. Since they are also heavily desired these sorts of jobs usually go to the top grads of top schools who have the connections/skills for the given field. American and other middling schools do not provide the necessary attributes to break into these things even if they market themselves as such.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnhF1QAEZjU

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm still not convinced of that, but I have decided to refrain from engaging with him. However his last set of questions were actually material to the decision OP is making.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:20 pm

red_alertz wrote:I am, on the other hand, sometimes your info is so outrageously elitists it's hard to bare
How the hell can information be "elitist"? :?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Telling people the truth is not elitist. HTH

BTW, here is a great article for you to read on how law schools manipulate employment data. (LinkRemoved)

If you still think I'm being "elitist," then... wow. Just keep those blinders on, duder.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:33 pm

mettasutta wrote:
How the hell can information be "elitist"? :?
Great question. Apparently NALP is so elitist to come out with all those cold hard facts on legal employment. Those bastards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lotus24

New

Post by Lotus24 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Does anyone think I can/should do anything about Fordham? I.e., write a letter stating my preference for the school, along with the other offers I've gotten and say I'd put down my deposit tomorrow if they admit me?

They haven't made a decision on my file yet. Do people do stuff like this pre-waitlist?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Lotus24 wrote:Thanks for all the comments so far.

Does anyone think I can/should do anything about Fordham? I.e., write a letter stating my preference for the school, along with the other offers I've gotten and say I'd put down my deposit tomorrow if they admit me?

They haven't made a decision on my file yet. Do people do stuff like this pre-waitlist?
Have you answered the question about whether or not you can wait and reapply next year? (Sorry if you have and I missed it) You will really be better off applying earlier. It will dramatically change your admissions, the amount of money offered to you and the situation under which you will be attending school.

Lotus24

New

Post by Lotus24 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:32 pm

I don't think I can wait another year. I really don't have any way of knowing if I'll do better on the LSAT or not given my inconsistent record with standardized tests. And my LSAT score will expire soon (I took it in October of 2007) so not even sure I could apply the next cycle. Even if it doesn't expire, I'm emotionally/mentally invested in starting law school in the fall.

Assuming I decide to try and go with this cycle, does it make sense to reach out to Fordham pre-decision? Is it likely I haven't been admitted if I still haven't heard?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Just because you don't want to do something doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.

As a reapplicant myself I completely understand the desire to go to school now and the indecision that comes with retaking the LSAT. But you have 2 realistic shots at retaking (Oct/Dec) so if your first one doesn't go well you can still take again. Don't let your impatience shortchange you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Lotus24 wrote:Thanks for all the comments so far.

do you really want to take on over 100k+ of debt because you HAVE to go to law school right now? don't you think it would be freeing to have a law degree and be debt free?

Lotus24

New

Post by Lotus24 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:39 pm

If I go, I'll most likely go to UConn and not have much debt. Do you think it's worth reaching out to Fordham?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Lotus24 wrote:If I go, I'll most likely go to UConn and not have much debt. Do you think it's worth reaching out to Fordham?
No because at this point you would be paying sticker and sticker at Fordham is pretty awful.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
red_alertz wrote:NOT TRUE, even T3 and T4 grads will earn 40k-70k after graduation, just look it up the median for these schools, american being a T1 and UCONN defacto T1 will certainly do better, i don't recall the data, but i'd think the medican would be around 100k?
Shut up. Seriously. You have no idea what you are talking about, and it is borderline unethical for you to continue to propagate this mindless drivel. When it comes to choosing a law school, people's livelihoods are on the line. Stop encouraging people to restrict (or in many cases, destroy) their financial and career opportunities.
I'm surprised that red_alertz has made it this far without being banned, nevertheless, if someone is foolish enough to take his or her advice at face value and decides to flush $225K for NYLS, it's their own damn fault that they didn't research their options before making a huge life decision.

In my own experience, I personally know a handful of very casual acquaintances who are attending or plan to attend terrible schools (including a UMich UG co-worker of mine who plans to attend Cooley and try to transfer to UMich Law--no joke), but because I don't want to seem like an a-hole I just nod and say "good luck with that". Because of the lack of a close relationship with said people, I don't feel like it's my place to unleash a lengthy screed against attending such schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:55 pm

mettasutta wrote: I'm surprised that red_alertz has made it this far without being banned, nevertheless, if someone is foolish enough to take his or her advice at face value and decides to flush $225K for NYLS, it's their own damn fault that they didn't research their options before making a huge life decision.

In my own experience, I personally know a handful of very casual acquaintances who are attending or plan to attend terrible schools (including a UMich UG co-worker of mine who plans to attend Cooley and try to transfer to UMich Law--no joke), but because I don't want to seem like an a-hole I just nod and say "good luck with that". Because of the lack of a close relationship with said people, I don't feel like it's my place to unleash a lengthy screed against attending such schools.
I usually point that kind of people towards TLS. you can't force people to do research.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
mettasutta wrote: I'm surprised that red_alertz has made it this far without being banned, nevertheless, if someone is foolish enough to take his or her advice at face value and decides to flush $225K for NYLS, it's their own damn fault that they didn't research their options before making a huge life decision.

I usually point that kind of people towards TLS. you can't force people to do research.
I might just try that on my co-worker. He seems like a nice guy and and I obviously don't want him to be in financial ruins, but I didn't want to be like "OMGWTFRUDOIN!!!" in the midst of a casual conversation while painting murals.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:01 pm

i pointed TLS to one of my friends who's preparing for the LSAT, I think it's very helpful, if ur co-worker is a nice guy, help him out

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:02 pm

red_alertz wrote:i pointed TLS to one of my friends who's preparing for the LSAT, I think it's very helpful, if ur co-worker is a nice guy, help him out
The first reasonable thing you've said on TLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 am

I just saw this thread. OP, you need to WAIT and reapply next year. None of the reasons you give for wanting to go next year are at all compelling. Wait, study your butt off, and reapply. If you can get into Fordham, some of the jobs you're interested in may be a reality.

However, given you're casually interested in international arbitration: that is quite possibly the most difficult thing to get into. There is a 99.9% chance it will not happen. Other types of international human rights law do exist and are possible to do, but they are pretty unglamorous and require really strong credentials. Seriously, just wait a year. Go do something awesome that you won't be able to do while in law school.

Lotus24

New

Post by Lotus24 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Ok, I'm definitely leaning towards UConn if I go this year. My big thing with reapplying will be applying much earlier, i.e., early decision to Fordham. I'm really, really hesitant to take the LSAT again. I studied a lot the first time around and improved to a 160 from a 149 when I took it cold at the beginning of my prep class. I studied for most of a summer(I took it in 2007). I don't know how much more I could do on another go round.

Before I consider reapplying, I still haven't heard from Fordham. I was checking the waitlist thread and some people got decisions as late as last Wednesday. Seems like the deposits for that wave are due tomorrow. Would it be advisable to email the Assistant Dir. of Admissions(who I have emailed with regarding my application status) tomorrow to let her know Fordham is my first choice and I'm ready to put down a deposit if admitted? Am I crazy for still having hope this late in the game?

I know the consensus on this thread is to reapply, and as you can see, I might possibly consider once I have all the information on the table. But given my current situation, would reaching out to Fordham be advisable or is all hope lost? This thread has pretty much helped me rule out American, thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Lotus24 wrote:I know the consensus on this thread is to reapply, and as you can see, I might possibly consider once I have all the information on the table. But given my current situation, would reaching out to Fordham be advisable or is all hope lost? This thread has pretty much helped me rule out American, thanks!
My same advice holds from the last time you asked that question:
bk187 wrote:No because at this point you would be paying sticker and sticker at Fordham is pretty awful.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:14 pm

if u have to go, American is a better law school

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”