Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Columbia (sticker)
64
73%
Duke (54k)
24
27%
 
Total votes: 88

wonderfilled
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby wonderfilled » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 pm

I've mostly narrowed it down, but I'm stuck between these two... Between the COL in NYC and the lack of scholarship, I'll have 220k of debt at Columbia vs. 150k at Duke. Significant, but not necessarily insurmountable.

I went to Duke's ASW and left thinking that I would definitely be there in the fall, but hadn't heard back from Columbia yet. I also didn't think I would like NYC. I grew up in the suburbs and thought city life wasn't for me. However, I've since visited Columbia, also loved it, and really loved NYC and especially Morningside Heights. I feel like Columbia and NYC provide more opportunities than Duke, but is it enough to make it worth the extra 70k? I could see myself being happy in either place.

As of now, my plan is to come back to California after law school, so they seem to be pretty equal with regards to job opportunities out here, but I could change my mind down the road.

So, help! Where should I go??

amorfati
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby amorfati » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Wow, I had that exact dilemma - literally, exact same $$. fwiw, I chose columbia!

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby thecilent » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:35 pm

This is tough call. Are you sure cls/duke placement in Cali is equal?

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:31 am

wonderfilled wrote:I've mostly narrowed it down, but I'm stuck between these two... Between the COL in NYC and the lack of scholarship, I'll have 220k of debt at Columbia vs. 150k at Duke. Significant, but not necessarily insurmountable.

I went to Duke's ASW and left thinking that I would definitely be there in the fall, but hadn't heard back from Columbia yet. I also didn't think I would like NYC. I grew up in the suburbs and thought city life wasn't for me. However, I've since visited Columbia, also loved it, and really loved NYC and especially Morningside Heights. I feel like Columbia and NYC provide more opportunities than Duke, but is it enough to make it worth the extra 70k? I could see myself being happy in either place.

As of now, my plan is to come back to California after law school, so they seem to be pretty equal with regards to job opportunities out here, but I could change my mind down the road.

So, help! Where should I go??


If you're going to be paying for LS entirely, I would go to Duke since you enjoyed both places equally (it seems like). I think CLS does better out here, how much better I'm not sure. If you don't see yourself at a big firm at all, then I doubt it'd matter. I'm going CLS with no money over a lot from Duke too, but I'll have help from the familia and I didn't see myself living in Durham. But if I liked both places equally (like you) and would have to pay all of it on my own (maybe you?) then I would've chosen Duke. That place is awesome :)

wonderfilled
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby wonderfilled » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:54 am

amorfati wrote:Wow, I had that exact dilemma - literally, exact same $$. fwiw, I chose columbia!


Are you glad you did?

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby kwais » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Same exact dilemma. I chose Columbia. I think it does better in Cali and the 70k difference could not, in my mind, justify Duke. I also love Morningside (I have family there, which helps) and after being in a southern college town for 5 years I can't wait to be in a real city. My .02, come to Columbia and first round is on me. This will offset your loans by at least 8 dollars.

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby masochist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 pm

kwais wrote:Same exact dilemma. I chose Columbia. I think it does better in Cali and the 70k difference could not, in my mind, justify Duke. I also love Morningside (I have family there, which helps) and after being in a southern college town for 5 years I can't wait to be in a real city. My .02, come to Columbia and first round is on me. This will offset your loans by at least 8 dollars.


This aggression will not stand. I will match kwais's offer of a drink in exchange for acceptance on behalf of Duke. This lowers your overall COA for Duke to 149,995.00 (drinks are less expensive in Durham).

I don't think there is a bad option here, by the way. That said, I voted for Duke for no particular reason.

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby camelcrema » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Ooh, I'll play this game. Second round on me for a Columbia acceptance!

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby Guchster » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:34 pm

I'll provide the 3rd for Columbia.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby beachbum » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:42 pm

I'll provide both the 2nd and 3rd for Duke. 8)

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby masochist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:51 pm

What the hell, I get paid from my current job until September. 4th drink is on me.

I also just found out I'll be living in a 1 br apartment with a pool and parking for 700/mo. Beat that, Columbia.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby Bosque » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:00 pm

70K is a lot of money to me. I don't think I could justify spending another 70k to switch the name on my diploma from Duke to Columbia. I did not have this particular dilemma like the other posters, but I would pick Duke.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby kwais » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:38 pm

We can not match the apartment rental prices, but I will go in for the fourth beverage

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby camelcrema » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:45 pm

All right, Kwais, you inspire me.

Fifth drink for Columbia!

For Alma Mater on the Hudson shore.

wonderfilled
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby wonderfilled » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:58 am

So, 5 rounds for Columbia, 4 for Duke... It's looking like Columbia :)

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby masochist » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:42 am

wonderfilled wrote:So, 5 rounds for Columbia, 4 for Duke... It's looking like Columbia :)


We do have a smaller cohort, so the drink/student ratio still favors Duke. :)

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby Bosque » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Fine, 5th drink for Duke is on me.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby kwais » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Our drinks are more expensive. I think this shows our commitment. 5 drinks at duke ~$20. 5 drinks at Columbia ~$40.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby Bosque » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Yet eventually the tab runs out and OP has to start paying for drinks. I think that price discrepancy then swings back in our favor.

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby camelcrema » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Which brings the question to...would you rather be drunk in Durham or buzzed in NYC?


Btw, before the sake bombs come out, OP, what are your career interests?

wonderfilled
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby wonderfilled » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Career interests... Not entirely certain. I have a BBA in Business, so maybe corporate law, but I'm also really interested in IP (obviously not patent since I have no science background). Most likely aimed toward BigLaw, although I've also considered PI.

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby camelcrema » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:55 pm

wonderfilled wrote:Career interests... Not entirely certain. I have a BBA in Business, so maybe corporate law, but I'm also really interested in IP (obviously not patent since I have no science background). Most likely aimed toward BigLaw, although I've also considered PI.



CLS places way better than Duke in Corporate Law and BigLaw. This is, perhaps, a result of being in New York. I didn't visited Duke, but I met some of Columbia's IP faculty, and was thoroughly impressed. Check out Scott Hemphill. For PI, Columbia's LRAP> Duke's LRAP.

Personally, that would be worth the extra 54k +living expense differences. You'll have to make the decision yourself, though.

User avatar
Zabini
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. Duke (54k)

Postby Zabini » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm on the verge of depositing at Columbia (sticker) over GULC (45k) and USC (90k) looking to work in CA. I disagree with the idea that Columbia and Duke are going to place the same in CA...Columbia seems to be relatively well represented at least among the elite firms in CA whereas Duke just isn't as much

A snapshot:

Munger Tolles: 9 lawyers from Columbia, 0 from Duke
Irell & Manella: 13 from Columbia, 4 from Duke
Gibson Dunn (all CA offices): 28 from Columbia, 13 from Duke

See you in NYC...looks like I've got the 6th round :shock:




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SweetTort and 4 guests