gay friendly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Renzo

Gold

Re: gay friendly?

Post by Renzo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

aliarrow wrote:ITT: TLSers continue to argue over irrelevant peripheral issues.
Oh, you have no idea. I have yet to begun to properly derail this thread....

birdlaw117 wrote:Since you insist, I did a quick search and found that it's the Women Law Students Association that is the largest. I really didn't want to continue this because its not relevant at all to OP, but whatever. Can we just end this now?
[url][http://www.law.umich.edu/journalsandorg ... A.aspx/url]
1) You care more about being right than ending it.

2) I couldn't care less about student groups, LGBT communities, or Michigan. But I am irked by know-it-alls.

3) You found a place on the internet where someone from a student group claims it's the biggest, while someone else on the internet in this thread claims his/her group is actually the biggest. What exactly did you prove?

4) You still have no basis for knowledge, other than google. Why wouldn't you take the say-so of someone with actual, real life experience?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:16 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Since you insist, I did a quick search and found that it's the Women Law Students Association that is the largest. I really didn't want to continue this because its not relevant at all to OP, but whatever. Can we just end this now?
http://www.law.umich.edu/journalsandorg ... /WLSA.aspx
I'm a Michigan 2L. As far as I'm aware, and with apologies to active members of WLSA, that group does very little apart from random get-together events. Outlaws and APALSA seem to be easily the two most active groups on campus, with several others fairly close behind. WLSA is not one of them. It's not a 2L card or a 3L card - it's a "you have no idea what you're actually talking about" card.

That said, I respect your username.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
http://www.law.umich.edu/journalsandorg ... /WLSA.aspx
I'm a Michigan 2L. As far as I'm aware, and with apologies to active members of WLSA, that group does very little apart from random get-together events. Outlaws and APALSA seem to be easily the two most active groups on campus, with several others fairly close behind. WLSA is not one of them. It's not a 2L card or a 3L card - it's a "you have no idea what you're actually talking about" card.

That said, I respect your username.
Haha thanks.

I totally believe that they are more active. I just found it unlikely that a LGBT organization would be the largest, given the small population of LGBTs.

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:19 am

OP, I think more info is needed. Any particular geographic region? What range of schools are you looking at? If you're looking at 2nd tier schools, I can tell you that Case is pretty LGBT friendly. As far as T14 schools, I have heard that Michigan is gay-friendly. I am not too familiar with the law school, but William & Mary is a very gay friendly college.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 am

Lwoods wrote:According to the 2010 survey from Campus Pride, here are the 13 most "gay friendly" colleges:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/0 ... on_College

Those with law schools (that I know of) are Berkeley, UCLA, OSU, WUSTL and Syracuse. I'm also confident that NYU is gay friendly, the Li-ann Theo incident notwithstanding.
Nice post. I'm surprised someone said Cornell was not very gay friendly. Ithaca college is right next to Cornell and is considered the #2 gay friendly college in the nation (from your link.) Also, Ithaca is overwhelmingly liberal. I find it very hard to believe such a divide would exist between the culture of the two schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Look up the list of student organizations at a school on the website and make sure they have a GLBT group of some kind, like OUTLAW. You may even be able to find contact info for an officer of the organization, to email and ask a real person what it's like there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”