Dilemma -- rank, money, location -- please help (NYU v. NU)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me make the smart decision -- where should I go?

Northwestern with $45k scholarship (total)
27%
NYU at sticker
73%

Total votes: 56

cherrypops

Dilemma -- rank, money, location -- please help (NYU v. NU)

Postby cherrypops » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I posted this topic earlier in the week with no replies and ended up deleting the post, but thought I'd give it another shot with a poll and hopefully more information that could be useful.

I'm 5 years out of college and have been working full-time in financial services. I waited a bit to apply (took the LSAT in 2009) but felt ready to take the plunge this year -- ended up on quite a few waitlists :) but was lucky enough to get admitted to NYU and Northwestern.

I had all but decided on NYU when Northwestern offered me a scholarship ($15k/yr), and now I'm really torn. Short-term goal wise I'd like to do biglaw in NYC or DC for at least a few years after graduation. I also currently live and work in DC, and would prefer to stay on the east coast near family and friends while I'm in school. That being said, I have never lived in Chicago or visited for more than a few days (and it was in the dead of winter too, which I know is terribly unfair), so I can't definitively say I wouldn't like it there. I have a few friends who live there and love the city.

My dilemma is that rationally, I think that Northwestern is a solid choice that wouldn't put me at a disadvantage in terms of job placement if I worked hard, therefore I should take the money -- but emotionally, I'm drawn to NYU's rank (sorry, I realize that is shallow), highly reputed programs (I'm interested in tax law and international law), and location (keep thinking "won't I be stressed enough my 1L year without relocating to the midwest?"); I'm just not sure if it is worth leaving $45k on the table.

I respect people's wisdom on this sight so any input/insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance! -M

jrose5

Re: Dilemma -- rank, money, location -- please help (NYU v. NU)

Postby jrose5 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Don't forget that if you factor in NYC's cost of living, the difference might be greater than 45k.

I say go with NYU, anyway, though. If you work hard and get biglaw, law school debt will be manageable. You should go with the one that makes you happier, and you seem intent on not uprooting yourself from the east coast.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:04 pm

This really depends how much you value the location aspect. I think 45K likely compensates for overall difference in employment between the the two (and COL is likely much lower) but NYU is particularly strong in NYC and will give you the best chance at the region you want. Still, it isn't like you would be shut out from NYC at NU so I voted for NU.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:31 pm

AreJay711 wrote:This really depends how much you value the location aspect. I think 45K likely compensates for overall difference in employment between the the two (and COL is likely much lower) but NYU is particularly strong in NYC and will give you the best chance at the region you want. Still, it isn't like you would be shut out from NYC at NU so I voted for NU.

Agreed,

From NYU you would crush all the students from Local TTTs (NYLS for example) while trying to get a job, but you'll still be in competition with people from Harvard and such.

NYU or NU, none is a real bad choice, so i'd pick the least expensive.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:19 pm

We have very similar backgrounds and I am considering the same two schools (except JD/MBA at Northwestern).

NYU is the clear leader in both of your target job markets. I want to work in DC after graduation as well and really feel like NYU has better reach here, both because of proximity and name. It's easy to see why NYU is a better option for New York.

The difference in COA is nothing to scoff at, but I think you will make up for it in job opportunity and security. Keep in mind that the NU COA is $2,400 more per year as well, not that you couldn't make up for it by reducing your living expenses a bit (far easier in Chicago than in NYC).

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:41 pm

45K might be a fair compensation for the difference in placement ability, but it's not much more. I say tie goes to the runner, and go to NYU.

Though DC is hard as fuck from anywhere.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:45K might be a fair compensation for the difference in placement ability, but it's not much more. I say tie goes to the runner, and go to NYU.

OP works and lives in DC currently. I was told that with significant ties to DC I should have an easier time than others.

OP: I've lived in DC for 9 years and own property here, so my ties might be deeper than yours. Also the area of law that I'm interested in is very DC centric.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:48 pm

bdubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:45K might be a fair compensation for the difference in placement ability, but it's not much more. I say tie goes to the runner, and go to NYU.

OP works and lives in DC currently. I was told that with significant ties to DC I should have an easier time than others.

OP: I've lived in DC for 9 years and own property here, so my ties might be deeper than yours.

I've heard the exact opposite, that they don't give a shit where you are from or where you go to school because DC is a market that everyone wants. And that they are particularly grade whorish.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bdubs wrote:

OP: I've lived in DC for 9 years and own property here, so my ties might be deeper than yours.

I've heard the exact opposite, that they don't give a shit where you are from or where you go to school because DC is a market that everyone wants. And that they are particularly grade whorish.

Credited.

D.C. firms don't give a shit, just be top 25% from a T14. Nobody is worried you're going to flee D.C. for the better government regulatory/appellate litigation pastures of Wyoming.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Yep. Everybody and their grandma wants to work in DC, while there are far less firm jobs than NYC. Thus DC firms are more selective than pretty much any other market, and don't care where you went to school (within the T14, that is), as long as you were the best.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:07 pm

Renzo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yep. Everybody and their grandma wants to work in DC, while there are far less firm jobs than NYC. Thus DC firms are more selective than pretty much any other market, and don't care where you went to school (within the T14, that is), as long as you were the best.

I think we should be more careful when we say they don't care which school. Because they love YHS. And probably consider CCN above the others. But they aren't going to care about UVA vs Michigan.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I think we should be more careful when we say they don't care which school. Because they love YHS. And probably consider CCN above the others. But they aren't going to care about UVA vs Michigan.

All I need is a 4.45 GPA this semester and I might have a shot at Jenner.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

From what you've written in the Op, nyu and it's not even close

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Fair enough; but even at NYU/CLS, there is some major grade screening going on at the DC firms.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:55 pm

thecilent wrote:From what you've written in the Op, nyu and it's not even close

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

All I need is a 4.45 GPA this semester and I might have a shot at Jenner.

I just need a 4.3 to be IPSECURE at Covington.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Renzo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Fair enough; but even at NYU/CLS, there is some major grade screening going on at the DC firms.

True. The Average GPA field on the NU callback data sheet for Convington is "LOL DING."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 pm

I'd say NYU, but like everyone else has said, DC is a slaughterhouse.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:20 am

Cornell with $$ is TCR here.

But given the options and your OP, I vote NYU.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 am

You and I have almost the same w/e and background. I decided to take Berkeley for the same reason you want to take NYU. I have family, friends, and connections out west but I know almost no one on the east coast. I visited Chicago when I got in there but I knew I wasn't going to like the school or the city. I guess I care a little less about ranking than you because Chicago>B but I know what you are going through.

They are both great schools so I would advise you to go where you feel most comfortable. Do you really want to spend three years in a place you won't enjoy?

My vote is for NYU. Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”