UTK or FSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

UTK
55%
FSU
45%

Total votes: 29

mrwarre85

UTK or FSU

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:31 pm

With costs being equal, where would you go?

Do you prefer Tallahassee or Knoxville? Would you rather end up working in TN or FL?

Thanks.

scammedhard

Re: UTK or FSU

Postby scammedhard » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:With costs being equal, where would you go?

Do you prefer Tallahassee or Knoxville? Would you rather end up working in TN or FL?

Thanks.

If no substantial scholarship, then retake or don't go.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:44 pm

scammedhard wrote:

Thanks.

If no substantial scholarship, then retake or don't go.

I don't necessarily agree with this and i'm usually always for the retake approach, but only if you have in-state at one of them.

OP: are you a TN or FL resident? i'd choose whichever one you have. i'm pretty sure (but someone correct me if i'm wrong) it is difficult to get in-state at both schools.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:18 pm

go to the one that you are in state at. If neither, then dont go.
If not in state, it is like asking, do you want your arm chopped off or leg?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:24 pm

wow, all of you were completely unhelpful.

first, not everyone goes to law school to make a lot of money. in fact, lots of people want to earn 50k a year and help people. pause for effect..

ok, now that we have cleared that up, what I am asking is : if costs were not an issue, where would you want to go to law school/live?

it is a friendly and easy question and it doesn't require a " retake, don't go, or I'm insecure and get my rocks off on TLS. " I swear some of you remind me of that brad paisley song "so much cooler online."

there is no wrong answer except for those described above. just say, TN or FL and here is why, or, don't say anything at all.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:wow, all of you were completely unhelpful.

first, not everyone goes to law school to make a lot of money. in fact, lots of people want to earn 50k a year and help people. pause for effect..

ok, now that we have cleared that up, what I am asking is : if costs were not an issue, where would you want to go to law school/live?

it is a friendly and easy question and it doesn't require a " retake, don't go, or I'm insecure and get my rocks off on TLS. " I swear some of you remind me of that brad paisley song "so much cooler online."

there is no wrong answer except for those described above. just say, TN or FL and here is why, or, don't say anything at all.

I guess that if you really have NO OPTIONS but those two, not even don't go, I'd go to UTK. That way, when you default on you non-dischargeable debt, you can go hide in the Appalachians rather than in a Florida swamp. I like mountains...

When I say don't go, I am not trying to be unfriendly , elitist, etc. I am simply trying to give my best advice based on data/evidence available to me (and any other). The latest NALP data indicate that of 44K JDs/year, ONLY 28K/year were employed in JD-requiring positions, or about 63%. What do you think the others were doing? Writing books like John Grisham? These days, it's not enough to just go to law school because you love the law. You also have to consider how you can repay your debt AND whether you are likely to end up working as a lawyer or selling mochas at Starbucks.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Go to UTK. It has a solid reputation in the region and you'll get a good education there. It's also the right size and the administration seems to really care about the students. I don't know why people even bother to just say retake on TLS. It's highly unlikely anyone deciding between schools is going to seriously take that advice from random people online. Help the person or don't post anything.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:40 pm

ran12 wrote:Go to UTK. It has a solid reputation in the region and you'll get a good education there. It's also the right size and the administration seems to really care about the students. I don't know why people even bother to just say retake on TLS. It's highly unlikely anyone deciding between schools is going to seriously take that advice from random people online. Help the person or don't post anything.

I hope we meet and become best friends one day. Bye.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Why, because the responses weren't what you what you wanted to hear? You're telling us not to consider one objective factor (cost) and you get mad when people point out another objective factor (poor employment prospects). So what you're more or less left with is subjective stuff that most of us can't really answer. If all you want to know is "Which school/location is better, excluding job prospects and cost?" then you should just visit the schools and decide. Also, if you're not from either of these places, it is foolish to go there.

Neither one of these schools is very good, unless you are instate, have strong ties, are going for cheap, etc. I can't stand when people make these threads and then get mad at people for their responses. But hey, if you want to stick your head in the sand, then fine. Just go visit the schools, talk to all the nice students, take in the pretty architecture, and make your decision. Don't ask for our advice and then get pissed off when people give it to you.

/thread

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:02 pm

scammedhard wrote:

I guess that if you really have NO OPTIONS but those two, not even don't go, I'd go to UTK. That way, when you default on you non-dischargeable debt, you can go hide in the Appalachians rather than in a Florida swamp. I like mountains...

When I say don't go, I am not trying to be unfriendly , elitist, etc. I am simply trying to give my best advice based on data/evidence available to me (and any other). The latest NALP data indicate that of 44K JDs/year, ONLY 28K/year were employed in JD-requiring positions, or about 63%. What do you think the others were doing? Writing books like John Grisham? These days, it's not enough to just go to law school because you love the law. You also have to consider how you can repay your debt AND whether you are likely to end up working as a lawyer or selling mochas at Starbucks.

Cool man. UTK isn't a TTT school though. 86% of their 2009 grads were employed in full-time legal employment. FSU is now, not that I really care but it sounds like you might, a T1 school. It is 1 spot away from UF-- essentially its the as good as it gets to work/network/play in the 4th most populous US state. Not a TTT school either.

My problem isn't that you don't know/don't understand that. My problem is that you make all these baseless assumptions about people you don't know online. What if I'm a millionaire? Lot of rich people out there who want JD's. More likely, what if I have in-state plus a scholarship, and I'm paying way less than you pay for your T-14? I could also want PI work and plan on enrolling in an LRAP. In any of those set of circumstances going to a T3 or T4 school isn't crazy. Going to UTK or FSU isn't crazy.

You may not be trying to do so but you are coming across as a moron in addition to "unfriendly, elitist,"

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:03 pm

rebexness wrote:

Thanks.

Doesn't it matter more which YOU'D prefer? Not us?

Other people often think of things we overlook.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Why, because the responses weren't what you what you wanted to hear? You're telling us not to consider one objective factor (cost) and you get mad when people point out another objective factor (poor employment prospects). So what you're more or less left with is subjective stuff that most of us can't really answer. If all you want to know is "Which school/location is better, excluding job prospects and cost?" then you should just visit the schools and decide. Also, if you're not from either of these places, it is foolish to go there.

Neither one of these schools is very good, unless you are instate, have strong ties, are going for cheap, etc. I can't stand when people make these threads and then get mad at people for their responses. But hey, if you want to stick your head in the sand, then fine. Just go visit the schools, talk to all the nice students, take in the pretty architecture, and make your decision. Don't ask for our advice and then get pissed off when people give it to you.

/thread

I asked for advice about what you would do regardless of cost. That is exactly what I asked. You proceeded to answer a question that was never posed. Additionally, you did so in a rude manner.

The crazy thing is that in my initial response I said --- people sometimes go to law school for other reasons beside making money! You then respond with more factors that would ONLY effect the amount of money I would make. Do you see the world through a very narrow lens or do you struggle with reading comprehension?

Don't butt into other peoples threads, refuse to answer their questions and post rude out of scope responses in place, then "/thread." Congrats on getting into a good school. I hope you have a successful and happy life, whether you ever make any money or not.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:10 pm

I've visited both and I liked Tennessee a lot more. Plus, I like the idea of working in Tennessee post graduation more than working in Florida. They're both good schools that are reasonably priced, especially at their in-state rates.

silver7

Postby silver7 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:19 pm

I despise these "retake or don't go people." It's as if neither of these well respected region schools have never graduated any happy or successful lawyers. Get a life people.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:57 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:The crazy thing is that in my initial response I said --- people sometimes go to law school for other reasons beside making money!

Nowhere have I mentioned money. Not once. I understand that money is not your motivator for going to law school, which is good. Anyone who goes to law school just to make lots money is making a huge mistake, because law school is not a great avenue to making big money for the vast majority of students. But even if you aren't in law to get rich, I do presume you want a job, right? You probably want to work in the legal profession after law school? Would that be a fair assumption? And even if you aren't in law to get rich, I'm guessing you want to be able to pay off your debts and maybe lead a decent middle class life? Maybe buy a house someday and not have all of your future financial decisions shackled by hundreds of thousands of dollars of law school debt? Are we fair in assuming that?

Many people have asked you a very reasonable, very straightforward question (which you refuse to answer): Are you from Florida or Tennessee? I sure hope so. It is very, very hard to get a job out of a very regional school if you don't have any sort of connections or contacts. If you are instate at either of these schools, then it would be a fine option. If you're not instate, they almost certainly aren't. This line of reasoning has nothing to do with the goal of being rich.

So the bottom line is that even though you aren't in law to get rich, those bills aren't going to pay themselves, and it will suck royally to go to law school and spend 3 years and 100k+ to get a degree that you'll never even use. And if you don't think that is a REAL strong possibility from both of these schools, then you need to do your homework.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Also, for being so hostile to those making "baseless assumptions," you sure do seem awfully willing to make them yourself. Scammedhard didn't call UTK or FSU a TTT. He never said he was going to a T14. None of us ever said we were in law school for the money. And referring to people like me as an "elitist" is absolutely hysterical. Try checking out my post history sometime. I'm far from it.

And last but not least, your assumption that self-reported hiring data is even remotely reliable is lulzy. So to paraphrase you, in addition to being stubborn and hostile, you're also coming off like a moron.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:12 pm

If you are in state at one of them, go to that one. If you can much easier get in-state at one of them, then go to that one. Otherwise, retake or don't go. $50k a year (if you DO get a job) doesn't go far towards $160k debt.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:20 pm

--ImageRemoved--

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:22 pm

OP, how are these states on residency after 1L? What would total debt look like and what kind of situation are you in financially? I would be leery about paying the 30k or whatever it is out of state for the first year. Also, have you spoken to people with knowledge about the school other than representatives/administration-selected students?

Here's the thing: I know a decent number of kids how went to poorly regarded schools in Ohio and finished probably middle of the pack. They didn't get employed at graduation but most eventually found full-time legal work around 40-50k or found I guess what you would call good middle class jobs where a J.D. fulfills education requirements. Problem is that they are still screwed (the ones working in private sector or with private loans) because they have 100k in loans just from law school and didn't have the funds to ride out post-graduation unemployment and put expenses on credit cards or took more money out. And by extended job search I mean a year of pounding the pavement.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, for being so hostile to those making "baseless assumptions," you sure do seem awfully willing to make them yourself. Scammedhard didn't call UTK or FSU a TTT. He never said he was going to a T14. None of us ever said we were in law school for the money. And referring to people like me as an "elitist" is absolutely hysterical. Try checking out my post history sometime. I'm far from it.

And last but not least, your assumption that self-reported hiring data is even remotely reliable is lulzy. So to paraphrase you, in addition to being stubborn and hostile, you're also coming off like a moron.

Ok. I apologize for making an assumption about what type of law school you or your retake buddy attend. That said, you are still massively missing the point.

I have said from the start that I would like others to tell me where they would go IF cost was not a consideration. You still refuse to answer my question, and now you are demanding that I answer one of yours. You did not make this thread, I am not invading your space. As a sign of good faith, I'll answer your out of scope question: I will graduate from both schools with zero debt.

Interesting tidbit, but doesn't have a thing to do with what I asked.

You say "nowhere have I mentioned money." Dude, all you have mentioned is money. Whether you are saving it or making it, the bottom line is the bottom line and all you have talked is finances. You haven't said one thing about the culture of the schools, the academic specializations/opportunities, the areas in the US where the schools of located. I repeat my initial response: you have been completely unhelpful.

What you have tried to do is hijack the thread for your own pleasure. You accuse me of not doing my homework and then say there is a real strong possibility I could graduate from one of these schools and not have a JD I'll ever use. Ironically, 93% UTK's 2009 grads had JD required jobs. It appears you have not done your homework. Additionally, It's "lulzy" that you don't understand what numbers law schools can misrepresent and which ones they are forced to report accurately. If you would like I can explain that to you in a separate thread, but basically median salaries can be easily manipulated/misrepresented whereas JD required/preferred or part/full time employment cannot be.

So now I'm a moron for asking people online where they would rather go to school? Where they would rather live?

Hmm.. Elitist was your word I just repeated it. Perhaps you are not an elitist, and maybe you don't go to a T14 school and you are sitting somewhere at a state school right now hating yourself, and maybe you care about other things beside money even though that is the only thing you can think to speak to in regards to these two schools. I don't know nor do I care, but unless you start talking about your likes and dislikes in regards to the University of Tennessee or Florida State University, your views on clinical programs at UTK or FSU's top-notch faculty in the field of environmental law, for example, just get out of this thread.
Last edited by mrwarre85 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:42 pm

rad law wrote:--ImageRemoved--

LOL!!!!!!!! oHHH LOOK HE HAS PIMPLES!!!!

But I never asked for advice. Reading comprehension fail.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:50 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:OP, how are these states on residency after 1L? What would total debt look like and what kind of situation are you in financially? I would be leery about paying the 30k or whatever it is out of state for the first year. Also, have you spoken to people with knowledge about the school other than representatives/administration-selected students?

Here's the thing: I know a decent number of kids how went to poorly regarded schools in Ohio and finished probably middle of the pack. They didn't get employed at graduation but most eventually found full-time legal work around 40-50k or found I guess what you would call good middle class jobs where a J.D. fulfills education requirements. Problem is that they are still screwed (the ones working in private sector or with private loans) because they have 100k in loans just from law school and didn't have the funds to ride out post-graduation unemployment and put expenses on credit cards or took more money out. And by extended job search I mean a year of pounding the pavement.

Man, I get it. If you are sincerely trying to help I get that too. Thanks.

Somewhere above I mentioned that I would graduate from both schools with zero debt. However, I didn't ask about which school would be a smarter financial choice. I asked about Knoxville/Tallahasse. I asked about which should YOU would go to with costs being equal. I should have been way more clear and I apologize. What I intended to be a convo about the schools has turned into a "don't go to law school" thread. Perhaps I should have said-- all costs being equal and no debt either way. Perhaps, costs are equal and do not consider them. My mistake there.

I'm just asking a harmless personal opinion Q here where there are no wrong answers so long as they answer the question being asked.
Last edited by mrwarre85 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:53 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Also, for being so hostile to those making "baseless assumptions," you sure do seem awfully willing to make them yourself. Scammedhard didn't call UTK or FSU a TTT. He never said he was going to a T14. None of us ever said we were in law school for the money. And referring to people like me as an "elitist" is absolutely hysterical. Try checking out my post history sometime. I'm far from it.

Ok. I apologize for making an assumption about what type of law school you or your retake buddy attend. That said, you are still massively missing the point.

I have said from the start that I would like others to tell me where they would go IF cost was not a consideration. You still refuse to answer my question, and now you are demanding that I answer one of yours. You did not make this thread, I am not invading your space. As a sign of good faith, I'll answer your out of scope question: I will graduate from both schools with zero debt.

You say "nowhere have I mentioned money." Dude, all you have mentioned is money. Whether you are saving it or making it, the bottom line is the bottom line and all you have talked is finances. You haven't said one thing about the culture of the schools, the academic specializations/opportunities, the areas in the US where the schools of located. I repeat my initial response: you have been completely unhelpful.

What you have tried to do is hijack the thread for your own pleasure. You accuse me of not doing my homework and then say there is a real strong possibility I could graduate from one of these schools and not have a JD I'll ever use. Ironically, 93% UTK's 2009 grads had JD required jobs. It appears you have not done your homework. Additionally, It's "lulzy" that you don't understand what numbers law schools can misrepresent and which ones they are forced to report accurately. If you would like I can explain that to you in a separate thread, but basically median salaries can be easily manipulated/misrepresented whereas JD required/preferred or part/full time employment cannot be.

So now I'm a moron for asking people online where they would rather go to school? Where they would rather live?

Hmm.. Elitist was your word I just repeated it. Perhaps you are not an elitist, and maybe you don't go to a T14 school and you are sitting somewhere at a state school right now hating yourself, and maybe you care about other things beside money even though that is the only thing you can think to speak to in regards to these two schools. I don't know nor do I care, but unless you start talking about your likes and dislikes in regards to the University of Tennessee or Florida State University, your views on clinical programs at UTK or FSU's top-notch faculty in the field of environmental law, for example, just get out of this thread.

lol....
if villynova can misreport LSAT and GPA numbers for many years, im sure schools can "change" other numbers.....
Don't be so naive.....

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:57 pm

thexfactor wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

lol....
if villynova can misreport LSAT and GPA numbers for many years, im sure schools can "change" other numbers.....
Don't be so naive.....

Yeah man. Hey BTW did you hear 9/11 was an inside job? Yeah. Hey hows your underground bunker coming along?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”