Non-Law School School Choice.. Berkley or UChicago Undergrad

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkley or UChicago for Undergrad?

Berkley
67%
U Chicago
33%

Total votes: 48

Duce

Re: Non-Law School School Choice.. Berkley or UChicago Undergrad

Postby Duce » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:01 pm

I hear that people LOVE Berkeley who go there. I hear good things about UChicago as well, but not nearly the same level of passion. In fact, I've heard people talking about how much they loved Berkeley at every school I've visited.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Stupendous_Man wrote:UC Berkeley, hands down. You are comparing the best public school in the entire world to ... well, not that. Plus, internationally (I don't know if this matters to anyone), lay people in Europe and Asia generally have heard of 4 schools in the U.S.: Harvard & Yale on the east coast. Stanford & Berkeley on the west coast.

As for the feel, Berkeley is incredibly diverse, and there is a scene for everyone. Don't buy into stereotypes, most large undergrads are what you made of it, and you will find your niche whether it's through classes, organizations, clubs, sports, greek life, etc.

The best public school in the world (virgnia might have something to say about that) to a..... better school that is private. Depends on what the kid wants to do. If he wants a wall street job it will be significantly easier from chicago. If he wants law school he should go to berkeley because of the terrible curve at chicago. Also things like weather and feel should come into play for undergrads.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Stupendous_Man wrote:UC Berkeley, hands down. You are comparing the best public school in the entire world to ... well, not that. Plus, internationally (I don't know if this matters to anyone), lay people in Europe and Asia generally have heard of 4 schools in the U.S.: Harvard & Yale on the east coast. Stanford & Berkeley on the west coast.

As for the feel, Berkeley is incredibly diverse, and there is a scene for everyone. Don't buy into stereotypes, most large undergrads are what you made of it, and you will find your niche whether it's through classes, organizations, clubs, sports, greek life, etc.

The best public school in the world (virgnia might have something to say about that) to a..... better school that is private. Depends on what the kid wants to do. If he wants a wall street job it will be significantly easier from chicago. If he wants law school he should go to berkeley because of the terrible curve at chicago. Also things like weather and feel should come into play for undergrads.

UVA is not that close to Berkeley (UCLA might be considered closer). That said, best public school vs. one of the best private schools is not that strong of an argument.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

UVA is not that close to Berkeley (UCLA might be considered closer). That said, best public school vs. one of the best private schools is not that strong of an argument.

Still, I think Chicago unless the person wants some number whoring grad school like law school.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

It's pretty hard to quantify undergrad rankings but uva and Berk have been flip flopping number one for public schools on us news. I would certainly think they are close for undergrad but Berk has better grad programs which is why the better name recgonition. But rankings are kind of stupid for undergrads anyways.

Really, it comes down to what the kids interests are, what kind of weather he likes, and what his feel was during the visits. Persnally, i'd have chosen chicago if this was me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”