The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

GULC (full tuition)
81
79%
Penn (70k in scholly)
22
21%
 
Total votes: 103

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby dood » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:26 pm

.
Last edited by dood on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovemulch
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby ilovemulch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm biased because we were part of the same TLS lunch meetup during Penn's ASW and I really want you to come to Penn!!! But yet I still voted for GULC because it just seemed to make more sense given your career goal of wanting to do federal govt work and the fact you don't want biglaw (which is the area where Penn would seem to have the advantage over GULC). Also you said you strongly prefer DC to Philly both during and after LS.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
313D313 wrote:... But, theres the "prestige" of Penn, which i agree is hard to pass up (v. GULC)...


GULC.

I think PENN is def the stronger school all other things equal (job placement, ranked higher etc), but in some areas outside of the northeast GULC seems to have at least as much prestige as PENN- including among lawyers. At least where I am now (not a major market, but more than halfway across the country from the east), a practicing lawyer I talked with showed a much stronger name recognition bias for GULC than for PENN when I said I was interested in the possibility of transferring to either of these schools. But that is obviously just one anecdote.


I work at a mid size law firm in Ohio, and the attorneys I've spoken to have all expressed this exact sentiment. To them, GULC is as reputable, if not more reputable, than Penn. In fact, one attorney had never even heard of Penn. I was talking to him about my options (GULC, Penn, Duke, Cornell etc) and he told me, "I don't mean to be rude, but why would you even consider Penn State if you got into Duke and Georgetown?"

ilovemulch wrote:I'm biased because we were part of the same TLS lunch meetup during Penn's ASW and I really want you to come to Penn!!! But yet I still voted for GULC because it just seemed to make more sense given your career goal of wanting to do federal govt work and the fact you don't want biglaw (which is the area where Penn would seem to have the advantage over GULC). Also you said you strongly prefer DC to Philly both during and after LS.


I know! It's tough to turn it down because I met so many great people at Penn, (you, R6Philly, Pereira6, AbsoluteAzn just to name a few) but Georgetown is a fantastic place in its own right.

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby adt231 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:15 am

I think it needs to be pointed out that a $120,000 (+ work-study) scholarship from Georgetown is NOT a full tuition scholarship. It's close but not quite since tuition is nearly 50k and will continue to rise. After considering COL and the remaining tuition and fees (that will increase by at least 2-3k per year) and the interest incurred on these loans, you are easily looking at close to 100k in debt still.

Given your interests, GULC is still probably the better choice, but you are not getting a full-tuition scholarship.

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby adt231 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:25 am

So I just checked some of my math and realized that less of the loans than I thought would be unsubsidized so your total debt would be near about 80-85k. Pretty darn close to a full-tuition scholly. Ignore my previous post and congrats on the offer!

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby thexfactor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:51 am

are you the type of person that loves changing their mind about things?
If you think you might change your mind, then go with penn.
Otherwise, enjoy georgetown.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:47 am

adt231 wrote:So I just checked some of my math and realized that less of the loans than I thought would be unsubsidized so your total debt would be near about 80-85k. Pretty darn close to a full-tuition scholly.


Technically you were right adt231. When you factor in tuition increases, GULC's offer would end up being a few thousand shy of full tuition over three years. But I was assuming that I'll receive one or two of the outside scholarships that I've applied for. (Nothing major, maybe 1k per year) Even if I don't, a few thousand is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about T14 tuition costs. Thanks for pointing it out though!

thexfactor wrote:are you the type of person that loves changing their mind about things?
If you think you might change your mind, then go with penn.
Otherwise, enjoy georgetown.


Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean by this. Will I change my mind about wanting to do fed gov work? Possibly. I might decide to pursue small-mid firm jobs, or I might find a public interest cause that I'm passionate about. But honestly, I think GULC with $$$$ is better than Penn with $$ for either route. However, if you're asking whether or not I'll ever want biglaw, then I'm 99% sure that the answer is no.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby kurla88 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:18 am

Sounds like you have made your choice already. If you're interested in federal govt work especially, this is a no-brainer.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:52 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Also, I've lived in the midwest my whole life and I'm sick of the endless winters. DC weather >>>> Philly weather.


Philly is not the Midwest. Also, Philly winters are only slightly colder than DC Winters (39/25 in January vs. 43/27). Philly averages 19 inches of snow, while DC averages 15 inches.

The other factors you listed, however, are quite relevant.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:56 pm

kurla88 wrote:Sounds like you have made your choice already. If you're interested in federal govt work especially, this is a no-brainer.


Yep. I think I'm going to withdraw from Penn on Monday. Everyone I've talked to has told me to pick GULC, and my gut completely agrees with them. I just wish some of the Penn voters would have at least made an argument.

HeavenWood wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:Also, I've lived in the midwest my whole life and I'm sick of the endless winters. DC weather >>>> Philly weather.


Philly is not the Midwest. Also, Philly winters are only slightly colder than DC Winters (39/25 in January vs. 43/27). Philly averages 19 inches of snow, while DC averages 15 inches.

The other factors you listed, however, are quite relevant.


True, but I'd rather remain ignorant to the fact that the weather is the same in both cities. :wink:

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:06 pm

The Gentleman wrote:True, but I'd rather remain ignorant to the fact that the weather is the same in both cities. :wink:


Hey man, I voted for GULC. :)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dannyswo and 2 guests