The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

GULC (full tuition)
79%
Penn (70k in scholly)
21%

Total votes: 103

The Gentleman

Silver

The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:04 pm

So my cycle is coming to a close and I've narrowed down my options to either Georgetown with full tuition (120k plus work study that I intend to use) or Penn with 70k. Up until two days ago, I was 99.999% set on going to Penn, but then GULC came out of the blue with a Godfather offer. Now that I've thought about it, GULC seems like the obvious choice, but I want to hear what TLS thinks. Here's the relevant information.

Career Goals - I have a strong interest in federal govt work. If I did private practice, then it would be at a small or mid-size firm. No interest in biglaw.

Location - Philly is a cool place, but I'd much rather be in DC during and after law school. Also, my significant other is a big factor here. She'll be getting a job in whichever city I pick, and she's understandably concerned about being uprooted three years from now if I have to move. So if I go to Penn, I'm more or less committed to staying in Philly, and if I go to GULC, I'm committed to DC.

Debt Aversion and Financial Considerations - I do recognize that debt is part of the reality of law school, but it still scares me nonetheless. My SO and I will probably get married once I graduate from law school, and we'd like to be able to buy a house at that point. I'd be worried that the 150k of debt from Penn would make this nearly impossible.

School Preference - I really liked both schools and would be fine with either one. Penn has nicer buildings/classrooms and their smaller section sizes really appeal to me. Georgetown has an awesome fitness center and their law library is nicer than Penn's IMHO. Also, I've lived in the midwest my whole life and I'm sick of the endless winters. DC weather >>>> Philly weather.

EDIT: Would those who vote for Penn mind sharing their reasoning?

313D313

Bronze

Re: The Gentleman's Decision - GULC or Penn

Post by 313D313 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:11 pm

You cannot go wrong with either one. Overral, I think should you pick GULC, especially if you plan on staying in DC. Then you factor in the fact that it is a full scholly and you do not want Biglaw, great choice. But, theres the "prestige" of Penn, which i agree is hard to pass up. GULC!

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Everything is leaning towards GULC - perhaps you can throw that offer to Penn & see if they'll increase.

Otherwise, by attending GULC, you have the opportunity to network, get situated in your desired legal market, and of course, satisfy your SO!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 pm

For federal gov't work and no interest in biglaw GULC (for free) is the way to go.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:17 pm

The Gentleman wrote: EDIT: Would those who vote for Penn mind sharing their reasoning?
My guess: they didn't read the OP and voted Penn because Penn places better for biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the responses so far!
jeremysen wrote:perhaps you can throw that offer to Penn & see if they'll increase.
Sorry, I should have said that I've already sent GULC's offer, and Penn upped their offer to 70k in response.

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 pm

buckilaw wrote:For federal gov't work and no interest in biglaw GULC (for free) is the way to go.
+1

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:42 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
buckilaw wrote:For federal gov't work and no interest in biglaw GULC (for free) is the way to go.
+1
GULC FTW

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:47 pm

When you say "Gentleman's Decision" it just sounds sexual. In that case, DC has far more options than Philly. Even if it didn't have to do with such a thing, I still think GULC is going to be the better option for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 pm

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Well I'm glad to see that people agree with my thinking. Why are people voting Penn?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Free is usually better than not free unless we were talking HYS.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:59 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Well I'm glad to see that people agree with my thinking. Why are people voting Penn?
Doesn't matter. I put up a dozen UT v UMich poll where everyone voted UMich. Everyone voted UMich.

You need to come to a place where you are able to say f**k everyone on TLS, I now realize that I want to go to xyz. That's why I'm matriculating to UT/A.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

lisjjen wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:Well I'm glad to see that people agree with my thinking. Why are people voting Penn?
Doesn't matter. I put up a dozen UT v UMich poll where everyone voted UMich. Everyone voted UMich.

You need to come to a place where you are able to say f**k everyone on TLS, I now realize that I want to go to xyz. That's why I'm matriculating to UT/A.
Why'd you ask then?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

The Gentleman wrote: EDIT: Would those who vote for Penn mind sharing their reasoning?
a true gentleman wouldnt even let his servant's kids attend a TTT such as georgeTTTown

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:03 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Why'd you ask then?
Because I wasn't ready to own my decision.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Every single factor you stated in the OP points to GULC. I couldn't come up with a reason for you to pick Penn if I tried. Enjoy DC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 pm

dood wrote:
a true gentleman wouldnt even let his servant's kids attend a TTT such as georgeTTTown
Clever.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:05 pm

dood wrote:
But that's only if you're going off the douchey, original, British definition of a gentleman. The American definition of a gentleman would let his kid go to an actual TTT if the conditions were right.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 pm

lisjjen wrote:
dood wrote:
But that's only if you're going off the douchey, original, British definition of a gentleman. The American definition of a gentleman would let his kid go to an actual TTT if the conditions were right.
A real gentleman wouldn't let his kid go to LS period.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:09 pm

People who didn't read the original post. If you said you wanted BigLaw, I would have voted Penn.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
dood wrote:
A real gentleman wouldn't let his kid go to LS period.
Don't ignore the qualifier of "if the conditions were right." If the right conditions mean having a rich dad in a law firm that's going to pay for your degree and then hire your right after you graduate...

St. Thomas here we come!!!

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:19 pm

well just looking at the poll, 70k @ Penn is not a bad deal compared even to fullride @ GULC, but after reading your original post, your points really all point to GULC, so I voted GULC.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:21 pm

313D313 wrote:... But, theres the "prestige" of Penn, which i agree is hard to pass up (v. GULC)...
GULC.

I think PENN is def the stronger school all other things equal (job placement, ranked higher etc), but in some areas outside of the northeast GULC seems to have at least as much prestige as PENN- including among lawyers. At least where I am now (not a major market, but more than halfway across the country from the east), a practicing lawyer I talked with showed a much stronger name recognition bias for GULC than for PENN when I said I was interested in the possibility of transferring to either of these schools. But that is obviously just one anecdote.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:22 pm

dood wrote:
Still mad about that rejection eh bro? :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”