U of Arizona V Pepperdine Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mala2

Bronze

U of Arizona V Pepperdine

Post by mala2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Any thoughts on the U of A or Pepperdine?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: U of Arizona V Pepperdine

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Desert versus ocean.

Sinners versus saints ?

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:21 pm

haha yeah I'm leaning more U of A but Pepperdine would be a good fit too. The housing is so expensive there though.

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Do you want to work in AZ or CA when you graduate? That should be the determining factor. Tucson is cheap for a reason.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:46 pm

david787 wrote:Do you want to work in AZ or CA when you graduate? That should be the determining factor. Tucson is cheap for a reason.
yeah, I'm from Arizona but went to DC for undergrad. I'm not sure I want to stay in AZ forever. CA is very nice in some parts, has a bigger job market, but has more competition. Also I'm getting partial GI bill, and going to the U of A (or ASU) would be practically free but I think they just capped GI bill money for private schools so it would be a lot more expensive. Kind of wishing I had applied to UC Davis, I would have definitely gone there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:55 pm

I go to Pepperdine but from what you've said, it seems like UA makes more sense

Your from AZ
Wouldn't mind working in AZ
Its cheaper for you to go to UA
There is less competition for jobs in AZ (probably)

Have you tried negotiating for more money by playing these schools off each other? I know that works with 2 private schools pretty often although I don't know if it would be different for UA. I will say we have a large contingent of veterans here who have their own law student-org, and I would hope my school would dole out some extra scholly cash for a veteran.

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:33 pm

If you go to UofA you will be competing with ASU grads for jobs, and they are split about 50/50, now AZ isn't a great legal market, but it's not a terrible one either. In CA, you've got several higher ranked schools to compete with plus Loyola, seems like a more challenging prospect. Plus, your cost of living in CA will be much higher both during and after school compared to AZ (if you get a good job the state government will want a big % of your earnings).

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:23 pm

thanks I was considering Pepperdine but I think staying in AZ is the better choice for me. You're right the COA will be higher in school and after, and the type of job I want to get (government to transfer my retirement) would pay about the same both places.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Mon May 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”