BU ($$) vs USC (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school, all things considered?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 am

USC (no scholly, in CA)
29%
BU ($45k scholly, not CA)
71%

Total votes: 42

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Re: BU ($$) vs USC (sticker)

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:23 am

Exactly. If you want Cali, you shouldn't be considering schools on the other side of the country. That makes no sense.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:18 pm

pelkin000 wrote:However, I know that Davis job prospects aren't quite as solid as BU, and Sac doesn't really have the highest paying jobs. However, realistically, how much worse are the Davis job prospects than a BU or USC? Is it something where top 10% of davis students would get similar jobs to top 20% of BU? Or am I missing the picture all together here? Also, in terms of biglaw opportunities, again I know BU is going to do better than Davis, but does going to Davis totally handicap me in this area? Essentially, since I am seriously considering Davis now, I just want to know the opportunity cost (the benefits I am leaving on the table) of not attending BU.

For the class of '09, BU placed about 40% of its class into biglaw and clerkships, while Davis placed about 20%. This could mean that employers will go deeper into the class at BU than at Davis, but not necessarily. It could also be a product of just how hyper-competitive and over-saturated the Cali market is. Either way, your chances of getting a job in Cali are higher at Davis than at BU, but your chances of getting a job in general are higher at BU. Would you rather be employed in Boston or unemployed in Sacramento?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Magnolia wrote:
pelkin000 wrote:However, I know that Davis job prospects aren't quite as solid as BU, and Sac doesn't really have the highest paying jobs. However, realistically, how much worse are the Davis job prospects than a BU or USC? Is it something where top 10% of davis students would get similar jobs to top 20% of BU? Or am I missing the picture all together here? Also, in terms of biglaw opportunities, again I know BU is going to do better than Davis, but does going to Davis totally handicap me in this area? Essentially, since I am seriously considering Davis now, I just want to know the opportunity cost (the benefits I am leaving on the table) of not attending BU.

For the class of '09, BU placed about 40% of its class into biglaw and clerkships, while Davis placed about 20%. This could mean that employers will go deeper into the class at BU than at Davis, but not necessarily. It could also be a product of just how hyper-competitive and over-saturated the Cali market is. Either way, your chances of getting a job in Cali are higher at Davis than at BU, but your chances of getting a job in general are higher at BU. Would you rather be employed in Boston or unemployed in Sacramento?

+1. Better school, better offer, go BU

pelkin000

Postby pelkin000 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks everyone

IMO, here are your chances of making over 145k:

1. USC: 50%
2. BU: 34%

What about chances of making over 145k from Davis? I imagine its somewhere like 20%? I see that their grading curve is 20% A, 60% B.... so I would imagine 20% is sort of the magic number?

Also, I noticed from an LSAC infographic that BU has actually a slight advantage over USC in placing in the NLJ250. Am I wrong to say so? Anyone have any more solid data than that?

You want to work in Cali? Why did you even apply to BU? You should be going to UCLA or USC if you want to work in Cali. If you're worried about debt, go to one of the lower ranked cali schools. Do NOT go to BU if you want to work in California. You'll have a rediculously hard time getting back. I have friends who have tried it from similarly ranked east coast and midwest schools and they found it very difficult.

Honestly, I have no qualms about working on the east coast for a couple years, especially to pay down my debt. I have family and friends on the west coast so I think by the time i was 'ready' to move back west, Id have most of my debt under control and people that could help me get on my feet out in Cali (even if it *gasp* wasn't biglaw). Right now I just want to make sure that I have a solid chance of taking care of my debt in a timely manner (~6yrs).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 am

The person who said 50% chance of making 145k from USC is basing it on pure conjecture. The fed clerkship + NLJ placement for BU is higher (albeit slightly, BU 4.3% fed, USC 4% and I remember BU had a slightly higher # of bigfirm placement). Also, Boston has a lot of regional firms that pay 145k, maybe LA does too.

I would say they place about the same and are the same caliber school objectively. You just need to decide how set you are on working in CA. If must have CA, then USC. If you could deal with Boston or NYC for a while, it would be foolish to not follow the $.

droges

Postby droges » Sun May 01, 2011 9:59 am

According to the 2009 data, I pulled from Law School Transpaency, 45% make over 145k and about 5% go into clerkships or continue their education. Furthermore, about 28% at BU reported making atleast 145k, but if you include those making over 110k that percentage increases to 42%. Factor in the 6% going to clerkships or continuing their education, you get fairly equal numbers between the two schools. But again, I said this is to be taken lightly because employment data is subject to credibility questions so it should not be what finalizes the decision. IMO, the amount of debt should have greater influence on this decision, especially when the difference in debt is 100k.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”