emory (10k p/y) vs gw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

choose please

emory 10k per year
12
40%
gw
18
60%
 
Total votes: 30

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby FGCUguy123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Magnolia wrote:
FGCUguy123 wrote:Oh, you aren't. Well Vandy is a great school congrats. For future reference, I wouldn't be so dogmatic about something you have no experience in first hand. You may be right on most counts, however, you don't want to come off like a prick or else nobody will care if you're right or wrong. That IS just my opinion, of course.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, so I'm sorry if it came off that way. I'm just trying to be helpful.

FTR, my boss is a biglaw hiring partner, so I'm actually not just making shit up. We get resumes all the time from people looking for work. And it makes me really angry every time someone comes highly recommended and their resume gets thrown away because they don't have the gpa. But it doesn't mean that that isn't what happens.


yeah. i wasn't attacking you...speaking of systemic: the pervasiveness of people who aren't even in law school yet who think they know what the hell is going through hiring partner's minds. That being said, Biglaw is a completely different animal then PI/Small Firms etc...so to apply the same credentials to those and assume that, since networking and recommendations don't fly well in Biglaw hiring, both are equally as disregarded in PI/Small Firms/Mid Firms etc is not pretension I wouldn't be modest about making. Not that, like I said, you may not be correct, but unless you have experience with PI/Small/Med/Boutique hiring practices...I would be careful about extending knowledge about BigLaw hiring across the gamut of legal hiring in general.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby Magnolia » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:03 pm

FGCUguy123 wrote:yeah. i wasn't attacking you...speaking of systemic: the pervasiveness of people who aren't even in law school yet who think they know what the hell is going through hiring partner's minds. That being said, Biglaw is a completely different animal then PI/Small Firms etc...so to apply the same credentials to those and assume that, since networking and recommendations don't fly well in Biglaw hiring, both are equally as disregarded in PI/Small Firms/Mid Firms etc is not pretension I wouldn't be modest about making. Not that, like I said, you may not be correct, but unless you have experience with PI/Small/Med/Boutique hiring practices...I would be careful about extending knowledge about BigLaw hiring across the gamut of legal hiring in general.

That was why I made my original disclaimer (it was an edit, though) that it may very well not apply to small firms and small PI orgs, etc. because personality probably does matter a great deal more in organizations where there are only a handful of people.

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby FGCUguy123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Magnolia wrote:
FGCUguy123 wrote:yeah. i wasn't attacking you...speaking of systemic: the pervasiveness of people who aren't even in law school yet who think they know what the hell is going through hiring partner's minds. That being said, Biglaw is a completely different animal then PI/Small Firms etc...so to apply the same credentials to those and assume that, since networking and recommendations don't fly well in Biglaw hiring, both are equally as disregarded in PI/Small Firms/Mid Firms etc is not pretension I wouldn't be modest about making. Not that, like I said, you may not be correct, but unless you have experience with PI/Small/Med/Boutique hiring practices...I would be careful about extending knowledge about BigLaw hiring across the gamut of legal hiring in general.

That was why I made my original disclaimer (it was an edit, though) that it may very well not apply to small firms and small PI orgs, etc. because personality probably does matter a great deal more in organizations where there are only a handful of people.


Ah...I didn't see the update. In that case, we are in agreement.

ELS2010
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby ELS2010 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Magnolia wrote:
Metaread wrote:
The employment prospects at Emory are absolutely atrocious. I wouldn't recommend anyone go there for anything less than a full ride.

Neither school gives you a reasonable chance at biglaw which will allow you to pay off your loans quickly. Both have peer schools which will cost way less and give you the same employment opportunities. So, aberzombie is right that both schools will cost far more than they are worth.


This is complete and total BS.

ELS2010
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby ELS2010 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:i venture to say that any student in t30 will have at least a job, maybe not their dream job, by nine months. its not the end of the world.


This is an overestimation. For the regional schools I'd say that at least 10% will be unemployed, employed part time, or employed non-legal. It's probably worse than that now depending on the region the school is in.


This is wrong too. Nine months out, the only people I know who didn't find something (and pretty much universally something pretty good) were people who decided that practicing law wasn't for them.

ELS2010
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby ELS2010 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Magnolia wrote:
drummerboy wrote:not a question of charm its the ability to network properly to secure a job independent of oci.

Networking is only helpful in securing employment to the extent that someone may put in a good word for you if (and only if) you're already being considered for the job. Going to a firm's event demonstrates interest that can give you a leg up over a similar applicant who hasn't shown any interest in the firm. But all the networking in the world isn't going to overshadow your resume. Even outside of OCI, networking will only help you get jobs for which you're already qualified. It's not going to do anything for you if your grades aren't up to par.


True for Biglaw only. For the majority of employers (and while they don't pay $160K, it's plenty to start and goes up from there) if you graduated from a good school, they don't really give a crap if you were in the top 10% or the top 90%. It's more important that you're going to work hard and be a good fit in the office.

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby FGCUguy123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:31 pm

ELS2010 wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
drummerboy wrote:not a question of charm its the ability to network properly to secure a job independent of oci.

Networking is only helpful in securing employment to the extent that someone may put in a good word for you if (and only if) you're already being considered for the job. Going to a firm's event demonstrates interest that can give you a leg up over a similar applicant who hasn't shown any interest in the firm. But all the networking in the world isn't going to overshadow your resume. Even outside of OCI, networking will only help you get jobs for which you're already qualified. It's not going to do anything for you if your grades aren't up to par.


True for Biglaw only. For the majority of employers (and while they don't pay $160K, it's plenty to start and goes up from there) if you graduated from a good school, they don't really give a crap if you were in the top 10% or the top 90%. It's more important that you're going to work hard and be a good fit in the office.

Image

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby enron123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:11 pm

ELS2010 wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
drummerboy wrote:not a question of charm its the ability to network properly to secure a job independent of oci.

Networking is only helpful in securing employment to the extent that someone may put in a good word for you if (and only if) you're already being considered for the job. Going to a firm's event demonstrates interest that can give you a leg up over a similar applicant who hasn't shown any interest in the firm. But all the networking in the world isn't going to overshadow your resume. Even outside of OCI, networking will only help you get jobs for which you're already qualified. It's not going to do anything for you if your grades aren't up to par.


True for Biglaw only. For the majority of employers (and while they don't pay $160K, it's plenty to start and goes up from there) if you graduated from a good school, they don't really give a crap if you were in the top 10% or the top 90%. It's more important that you're going to work hard and be a good fit in the office.


No

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby FGCUguy123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:16 pm

enron123 wrote:
ELS2010 wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
drummerboy wrote:not a question of charm its the ability to network properly to secure a job independent of oci.

Networking is only helpful in securing employment to the extent that someone may put in a good word for you if (and only if) you're already being considered for the job. Going to a firm's event demonstrates interest that can give you a leg up over a similar applicant who hasn't shown any interest in the firm. But all the networking in the world isn't going to overshadow your resume. Even outside of OCI, networking will only help you get jobs for which you're already qualified. It's not going to do anything for you if your grades aren't up to par.


True for Biglaw only. For the majority of employers (and while they don't pay $160K, it's plenty to start and goes up from there) if you graduated from a good school, they don't really give a crap if you were in the top 10% or the top 90%. It's more important that you're going to work hard and be a good fit in the office.


No


Luckily for ELS, "No" isn't an argument.

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby enron123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:25 pm

whoops, looked at the post again (actually read it) and now I understand the point they were making. I don't totally agree but its a valid point.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:07 pm

ELS2010 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:i venture to say that any student in t30 will have at least a job, maybe not their dream job, by nine months. its not the end of the world.


This is an overestimation. For the regional schools I'd say that at least 10% will be unemployed, employed part time, or employed non-legal. It's probably worse than that now depending on the region the school is in.


This is wrong too. Nine months out, the only people I know who didn't find something (and pretty much universally something pretty good) were people who decided that practicing law wasn't for them.


Honestly I am only saying that based off of looking at the 2009 data (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681). I've seen T14 kids with no ties to my market mass mailing my small firm for jobs. Shit is bad out there.

Magnolia wrote:
FGCUguy123 wrote:yeah. i wasn't attacking you...speaking of systemic: the pervasiveness of people who aren't even in law school yet who think they know what the hell is going through hiring partner's minds. That being said, Biglaw is a completely different animal then PI/Small Firms etc...so to apply the same credentials to those and assume that, since networking and recommendations don't fly well in Biglaw hiring, both are equally as disregarded in PI/Small Firms/Mid Firms etc is not pretension I wouldn't be modest about making. Not that, like I said, you may not be correct, but unless you have experience with PI/Small/Med/Boutique hiring practices...I would be careful about extending knowledge about BigLaw hiring across the gamut of legal hiring in general.

That was why I made my original disclaimer (it was an edit, though) that it may very well not apply to small firms and small PI orgs, etc. because personality probably does matter a great deal more in organizations where there are only a handful of people.


I think it is a lot harder to extrapolate small firm hiring because it is so sporadic. My small firm hasn't hired an attorney in a long time mainly due to the economic crunch. In fact the only thing that has happened recently is we've lost one associate (who went to work elsewhere) and then bumped a contract attorney up to associate. But I think the point about biglaw (and at least why I was talking about it) is that small firms aren't going to pay off the kind of debt that OP is looking at for Emory/GW so it is really irrelevant what would get OP hired at a small firm because that is going mean soulcrushing debt anyways.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: emory (10k p/y) vs gw

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:08 pm

ELS2010 wrote:True for Biglaw only. For the majority of employers (and while they don't pay $160K, it's plenty to start and goes up from there) if you graduated from a good school, they don't really give a crap if you were in the top 10% or the top 90%. It's more important that you're going to work hard and be a good fit in the office.


To hire you? Maybe. To get an interview? They are definitely going to give a shit about grades even at small firms because they aren't just going to interview everybody and see who magically comes across as hard working after interviewing 100 people.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest