LSU vs. South Carolina

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Given the circumstances, which option is better

Poll ended at Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:38 pm

South Carolina
89%
LSU
11%

Total votes: 9

erw0331

LSU vs. South Carolina

Postby erw0331 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi y'all. I'm trying to make a decision between LSU and South Carolina. FSU is my top choice, but as for now I am on hold, and it may be a while before I know where I stand. I've whittled my list of backup choices down to these two, and I'm tossing and turning at night trying to figure it out. As for now, my mindset is that I'm not going for FSU, so which of these two would I rather go to? Also, my timeline is by the end of next week, as South Carolina's seat deposit is due then.

I'm from Florida, and have received scholarships to each. I'd be paying the same price at either school (approximately 21K at either). As for connections, I have a friends family who are attorneys in Baton Rouge and a fraternity alumnus who has offered me networking and internship help in S.C. The latter of the two may pan out better, but I know the legal market in South Carolina is pretty tough right now. I'm just not sure if Louisiana is any better. However, I know I can always come back to Florida and find legal employment.

Any insight or advice given is appreciated with the exception of telling me to retake!

tittsburghfeelers

Re: LSU vs. South Carolina

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 pm

1. Jaguars suck. I had MJD last year on my fantasy team, traded him after his first 6 games were god-awful, and then of course he went ape shit.

2. Improve your LSAT a couple of points, apply to UF, and enjoy the in-state tuition.

erw0331

Postby erw0331 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:26 am

1. You blew it. He put up 100+ yards in 6 consecutive games. A beast like Mojo won't stay quiet all season unless he has a season ending injury.

2. See: last sentence of original post.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 am

go to the school where you have a stronger network allready. if its your friends family- then go to LSU. if you think its your fraternity alumnus- then go to south carolina. Which of the two schools would you be most comfortable at? Where if you cant make it back to florida wouldyou be most happy working and living at?

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 am

erw0331 wrote:1. You blew it. He put up 100+ yards in 6 consecutive games. A beast like Mojo won't stay quiet all season unless he has a season ending injury.

1. His knee was hurt and with Jennings taking off last year, I thought that Mojo might be on the decline.

2. My bad. I'd just take whichever school you liked better assuming you've visited both.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:36 am

Which state would you rather live in?

erw0331

Postby erw0331 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:15 am

tittsburghfeelers wrote:
erw0331 wrote:1. You blew it. He put up 100+ yards in 6 consecutive games. A beast like Mojo won't stay quiet all season unless he has a season ending injury.

1. His knee was hurt and with Jennings taking off last year, I thought that Mojo might be on the decline.

2. My bad. I'd just take whichever school you liked better assuming you've visited both.

Yeah, he was playing on a torn meniscus all season, so it was probably a safe bet. I apologize if my reply seemed douchey; I thought you were trolling so I felt it necessary to respond accordingly. I'm trying to figure out which of the two I'd rather be in, but my pros and cons list is fairly balanced. That's why I have turned to TLS to not necessarily make my decision for me, but to maybe help tilt the scale in a certain direction.

bmili

Postby bmili » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 am

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 am

I voted S.C. because I would assume there is less competition for jobs. South Carolina is, for all intents and purposes, the only law school in the state. At LSU, you would be competing with Tulane, Loyola, and, to a lesser extent, Southern University.

lawboy81

Postby lawboy81 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:14 am

LSU places well in Baton Rouge and northern LA, but not so well in NOLA due to competition w/ Tulane and Loyola.
On the other hand, South Carolina is the only game in town.

leejh38

Postby leejh38 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:29 am

bmili wrote:Another thing to consider is LA practices Civil Law vs every other state that practices Common Law. It would be especially important at LSU to attempt to understand both if planning on practicing in a different state.

I wouldn't worry about this too much. I, too, am looking hard at LSU and I have no desire to live/practice in LA after graduation, so this has been an issue for me. You have to take civil law classes as 1L, but after that you can do any amount of common law you want. I personally don't think it'll matter that much, but take it for what you will.

bmili

Postby bmili » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 am

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am

Go to S.C., I was in your position last year (on hold at FSU and in-state equalizer at USC v. 12k a year at LSU). I visited LSU and didn't like it plus the civil law and common law requirement is a heavy coarse load. S.C.'s legal market is an absolute pain in the ass right now (but I'm pretty sure it is everywhere). If you have connections up here you are a step ahead of other out of staters, and tuition is around 5k more here (if you have the in-state scholarship) than at FSU.

erw0331

Postby erw0331 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 am

I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. I withdrew from LSU on Monday, and I'm sending in my seat deposit for SC this week. I feel my connections there are better, and that I would have a better opportunity to gain internships during and full time employment after school. Plus, I'd rather live in SC than LA or TX.

Also, notified Monday that I'm now waitlisted at Florida State.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 am

erw0331 wrote:I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. I withdrew from LSU on Monday, and I'm sending in my seat deposit for SC this week. I feel my connections there are better, and that I would have a better opportunity to gain internships during and full time employment after school. Plus, I'd rather live in SC than LA or TX.

Also, notified Monday that I'm now waitlisted at Florida State.

South Carolina is more like Florida anyway. Only bad thing about USC is that you will be a "cock" for the rest of your life.

Guess the legal market is still shitty there even though there is only one school? Makes sense, I'll probably attend UTK but want to make my way to South Carolina over the years. Destination State.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”