Fordham or Brooklyn?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham or BLS?

Fordham
71%
BLS w/$26,000
29%

Total votes: 24

makeparentsproud

Fordham or Brooklyn?

Postby makeparentsproud » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:27 pm

ok, so here is the deal: got accepted to Brooklyn with $26,000 in scholarship (with renewing not a problem) and a gorgeous apartment all picked out. Also got admitted to Fordham, at full price. Wondering which to go to, especially since I want to do prosecution and I know the courthouses at Brooklyn are right across the street. I also love the atmosphere, but i do know that Fordham offers better opportunities and job prospects. So, any thoughts? (despite this question being asked many times, im sure)

Grizz

Re: Fordham or Brooklyn?

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Neither. Fordham at sticker is too risky and whether you get $26,000 a year or total from Brooklyn, I'd consider that too risky as well.

I'd say retake or don't go, but if you must go, Brooklyn.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm

rad law wrote:Neither. Fordham at sticker is too risky and whether you get $26,000 a year or total from Brooklyn, I'd consider that too risky as well.

I disagree. Depending on your financial situation, I would choose Fordham. The job prospects are so much better out of Fordham than Brooklyn. NYC Biglaw is possible out of Fordham, it's damn near impossible out of Brooklyn.

Retaking is obviously the best option, but I understand it's not always possible. Go to Fordham and bust your ass. Gun for the top 1/3 and hope the economy recovers a bit.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
rad law wrote:Neither. Fordham at sticker is too risky and whether you get $26,000 a year or total from Brooklyn, I'd consider that too risky as well.

I disagree. Depending on your financial situation, I would choose Fordham. The job prospects are so much better out of Fordham than Brooklyn. NYC Biglaw is possible out of Fordham, it's damn near impossible out of Brooklyn.

Retaking is obviously the best option, but I understand it's not always possible. Go to Fordham and bust your ass. Gun for the top 1/3 and hope the economy recovers a bit.

And if you don't get biglaw, and there is a better chance you won't, enjoy $200k+ debt and being severely constrained by a monomarket school.

Just don't go.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 am

I really want to not be a dick about this, but if you seriously think proximity to courthouses has bearing on your chances of working for a DA office, I think you need to do a little more research before you make this leap (and by the way, there are courthouses in Manhattan too).

I would be hesitant to take either of these options.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 am

blsingindisguise wrote:I really want to not be a dick about this, but if you seriously think proximity to courthouses has bearing on your chances of working for a DA office, I think you need to do a little more research before you make this leap (and by the way, there are courthouses in Manhattan too).

I would be hesitant to take either of these options.

Also this.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am

If you're getting $26k/year from Brooklyn, then you'd still be taking out, what, $130k to go there? Yeah, don't do that. Fordham at $200k is admittedly a huge risk, but I think it's actually a better idea than Brooklyn at $130k. At Fordham, success is actually within the realm of possibility.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:19 am

OP - How do you propose to pay the 130K it will take to go to Brooklyn over and above the scholarship?

(Your handle is "makeparentsproud" and you've got a "goregous" apartment picked out, so I get the vibe that you and/or your family have some resources and won't have to borrow it all.)

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 am

Neither is worth more than $100,000 of debt. Reconsider your options.

AssociateX

Postby AssociateX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Neither is worth more than $100,000 of debt. Reconsider your options.

I agree with this, sorry. I'm a Brooklyn law grad. Fordham is ranked higher but if you are bottom 1/2 you are right there with the Brooklyn students except you have more debt that them! So no! Your goal is to come out with the least amount of debt as possible! Fordham isn't NYU, and the gap in reputation between the 2 schools is NOT worth the savings in the overall loan amount.. :| my friends who went to Fordham are working at some ofnthe same firms I did! :wink:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”