Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Kent vs Maryland vs Depaul

Kent$$
50%
Maryland
36%
Depaul $$
14%

Total votes: 14

northwood

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:00 am

guess the answer is to go to depaul since you havent been admitted to maryland yet ( and might not get off that waitlist).

barry

Postby barry » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 am

edit: nvm

Depaul seems like the right choice unless you get in MD

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:05 am

lsatextreme wrote:im gonna go ahead and intervene here because red_alertz is someone that i know personally and he thought it would be interesting to find out my outcome by asking instead of waiting for me to do so. The reason why Pacific schools are not an option is because I haven't gotten into any of them. I have a sub 2.5 gpa and a 162 LSAT that is the result of having taken it 4 times. I know none of these schools have much of a chance at all into entering the CA market but if that's the case, then so be it because I'll be willing to stay in their respective regions. For the record, I did not get into a single T2 CA school (I applied to every single one) and I don't think it's advisable ITE to be going beyond a T2, let alone beyond T20 according to many here on TLS. These schools saw something in me and I was fortunate enough to get into them. But having taken the LSAT 4 times already and dedicated one year of my life to studying that test, retake is not an option. I'm not sure why I had to explain all of this in such detail but I'll go ahead and feed everyone's curiosity.

My options are as follows:

Depaul - $60k over 3 years, 2.3 gpa stip
Kent - $60k over 3 years, 3.25 gpa stip
Maryland - I haven't actually gotten in yet but I'm on their preferred wait list so at this point I'll just assume I got in with no money.
So ignoring all that's been said earlier (sorry red_alertz), what do you guys think is the best option among those 3 if they were my choices, in terms of employment prospects in their respective regions and considering the scholarship money that I've received?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:08 am

well, would MD trump the rest if I had been accepted? with no scholly?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:12 am

just like you wanted it :mrgreen:

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:29 am

lsatextreme wrote:well, would MD trump the rest if I had been accepted? with no scholly?

I think it's really a tossup between MD and DePaul. If you want to spend the next few years in MD, go to MD. If you would rather spend the next few years in Chicago or the 'burbs, go to DePaul. I don't know much about MD, so I can't try to advise you there; but DePaul does have a good alumni network in and around the city. With that being said, I definitely wouldn't count on Chicago biglaw, but you could find a job at a midlaw firm outside the city in one of the suburbs. Obviously, some suburbs would pay alot better (LakeForest) than others, (Waukegan), but I still think you could count on making decent money to pay back your loans assuming you're around median. But have you ever been to Chicago? Chicago's a totally different world and you really need to visit it to see if you would like it. And when I say visit it, I don't just mean fly in, take a cab to Navy Pier, check out the Sears tower, the location of both schools, and then go home; you really need to explore it and get a feel from the city.

To follow up a little bit, do you have any ties to Chicago? If you and another DePaul student who grew up around Chicago are applying for a job and both of you are at median, who do you think will get hired? DePaul, Loyola, and Kent are very diverse, but they also have a ton of students with ties to the city; students who want to spend their rest of their life in the city.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:19 pm

lsatextreme wrote:well, would MD trump the rest if I had been accepted? with no scholly?

Yes because MD faces little competition in its state and getting in state tuition is hard but not impossible (you'll have to do things like get a MD driver's license, stay in MD for breaks, and other things that show an intent to work in MD after graduation). Plus CoA is lower at MD to begin with.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”