Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Kent vs Maryland vs Depaul

Kent$$
7
50%
Maryland
5
36%
Depaul $$
2
14%
 
Total votes: 14

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm

..
Last edited by red_alertz on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago Kent vs Maryland vs Depaul$$

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Retake/reapply. Or if the that is impossible then Maryland.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 pm

don't just view, vote or give an opinion plz

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 pm

red_alertz wrote:don't just view, vote or give an opinion plz


That's not easy to do when you say that you "prefer the Pacific market" and then give three options - none of which are near the Pacific. Also, how much money are you getting from Kent and DePaul?

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:16 pm

$20k each from depaul and kent, want pacific market but who doesn't? I have narrowed down to these three schools for now though

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby northwood » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:16 pm

what are the total cost of attendance for these schools? How comfortable are you of practicing in those areas for along time? If you are not totally set on the idea of living in either of these 3 regions for the next 13 or so years ( 3 years for school plus 10 years of work experience) then reassess your options and re check them with your requirements and desires.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 pm

red_alertz wrote:$20k each from depaul and kent, want pacific market but who doesn't? I have narrowed down to these three schools for now though

Why isn't retake/reapply an option? Why aren't CA T2's with a scholly an option?

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 pm

red_alertz wrote:$20k each from depaul and kent, want pacific market but who doesn't? I have narrowed down to these three schools for now though


I don't. Regardless, I'm assuming that the Pacific is your "dream" market, but you're not dead-set against not ending up in the Pacific? I still don't know if I would pay that much for either of these three schools. If you do want the Pacific, did you apply to Oregon, Lewis and Clark, Pacific, and other schools similar to those? I'd imagine if you received $ from DePaul and Kent, you'd get into at least one of those.

Honestly, I'd advise you to hold off and retake/reapply if you really want the Pacific market, but were dinged at schools in the Pacific. I mean, why sell yourself short and go to school now, when you could hold off, improve your LSAT, and improve your chances at a school that primarily feeds into the Pacific market?

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:40 pm

im gonna go ahead and intervene here because red_alertz is someone that i know personally and he thought it would be interesting to find out my outcome by asking instead of waiting for me to do so. The reason why Pacific schools are not an option is because I haven't gotten into any of them. I have a sub 2.5 gpa and a 162 LSAT that is the result of having taken it 4 times. I know none of these schools have much of a chance at all into entering the CA market but if that's the case, then so be it because I'll be willing to stay in their respective regions. For the record, I did not get into a single T2 CA school (I applied to every single one) and I don't think it's advisable ITE to be going beyond a T2, let alone beyond T20 according to many here on TLS. These schools saw something in me and I was fortunate enough to get into them. But having taken the LSAT 4 times already and dedicated one year of my life to studying that test, retake is not an option. I'm not sure why I had to explain all of this in such detail but I'll go ahead and feed everyone's curiosity.

My options are as follows:

Depaul - $60k over 3 years, 2.3 gpa stip
Kent - $60k over 3 years, 3.25 gpa stip
Maryland - I haven't actually gotten in yet but I'm on their preferred wait list so at this point I'll just assume I got in with no money.

So ignoring all that's been said earlier (sorry red_alertz), what do you guys think is the best option among those 3 if they were my choices, in terms of employment prospects in their respective regions and considering the scholarship money that I've received?

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 pm

What would the COA of all 3 be? Between Kent and DePaul, with those stips, I'd take DePaul. DePaul, Kent, and Loyola are all peer schools so you wouldn't be losing/gaining much as far as employment is concerned.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:45 pm

lsatextreme wrote:im gonna go ahead and intervene here because red_alertz is someone that i know personally and he thought it would be interesting to find out my outcome by asking instead of waiting for me to do so. The reason why Pacific schools are not an option is because I haven't gotten into any of them. I have a sub 2.5 gpa and a 162 LSAT that is the result of having taken it 4 times. I know none of these schools have much of a chance at all into entering the CA market but if that's the case, then so be it because I'll be willing to stay in their respective regions. For the record, I did not get into a single T2 CA school (I applied to every single one) and I don't think it's advisable ITE to be going beyond a T2, let alone beyond T20 according to many here on TLS. These schools saw something in me and I was fortunate enough to get into them. But having taken the LSAT 4 times already and dedicated one year of my life to studying that test, retake is not an option. I'm not sure why I had to explain all of this in such detail but I'll go ahead and feed everyone's curiosity.

My options are as follows:

Depaul - $60k over 3 years, 2.3 gpa stip
Kent - $60k over 3 years, 3.25 gpa stip
Maryland - I haven't actually gotten in yet but I'm on their preferred wait list so at this point I'll just assume I got in with no money.

So ignoring all that's been said earlier (sorry red_alertz), what do you guys think is the best option among those 3 if they were my choices, in terms of employment prospects in their respective regions and considering the scholarship money that I've received?


I'd say given your scenario it is a close call between these three. If you want Chicago area I'd take one of the two Chicago options, if you think you'd prefer east coast/MD then I'd take MD. I think you are taking some degree of risk re: job prospects going to these schools, but I also don't think the options are necessary that bad (e.g. v. people who would simply say don't go).

MD may not be an option though- I'd consider sending them a letter of continuing interest at some point in the future. Kind of suprised on how well you did for yourself actually with sub 2.5: congrats.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 pm

this is all rough, but it seems that the COA are as follows:

Maryland: 65k
Depaul: 64k
Kent: 60-61k

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:im gonna go ahead and intervene here because red_alertz is someone that i know personally and he thought it would be interesting to find out my outcome by asking instead of waiting for me to do so. The reason why Pacific schools are not an option is because I haven't gotten into any of them. I have a sub 2.5 gpa and a 162 LSAT that is the result of having taken it 4 times. I know none of these schools have much of a chance at all into entering the CA market but if that's the case, then so be it because I'll be willing to stay in their respective regions. For the record, I did not get into a single T2 CA school (I applied to every single one) and I don't think it's advisable ITE to be going beyond a T2, let alone beyond T20 according to many here on TLS. These schools saw something in me and I was fortunate enough to get into them. But having taken the LSAT 4 times already and dedicated one year of my life to studying that test, retake is not an option. I'm not sure why I had to explain all of this in such detail but I'll go ahead and feed everyone's curiosity.

My options are as follows:

Depaul - $60k over 3 years, 2.3 gpa stip
Kent - $60k over 3 years, 3.25 gpa stip
Maryland - I haven't actually gotten in yet but I'm on their preferred wait list so at this point I'll just assume I got in with no money.

So ignoring all that's been said earlier (sorry red_alertz), what do you guys think is the best option among those 3 if they were my choices, in terms of employment prospects in their respective regions and considering the scholarship money that I've received?


I'd say given your scenario it is a close call between these three. If you want Chicago area I'd take one of the two Chicago options, if you think you'd prefer east coast/MD then I'd take MD. I think you are taking some degree of risk re: job prospects going to these schools, but I also don't think the options are necessary that bad (e.g. v. people who would simply say don't go).


I see thank you, what would you say it would be between depaul and kent then?

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:51 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:What would the COA of all 3 be? Between Kent and DePaul, with those stips, I'd take DePaul. DePaul, Kent, and Loyola are all peer schools so you wouldn't be losing/gaining much as far as employment is concerned.


I see, so they're all pretty much strictly equal you say...I was hoping getting into Kent meant better opportunities but I guess not anymore. I guess with that Depaul gpa stip it's as if I don't have a stip at all so maybe it's a better choice

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 pm

lsatextreme wrote:this is all rough, but it seems that the COA are as follows:

Maryland: 65k
Depaul: 64k
Kent: 60-61k


That can't be right. DePaul's tuition is close to 40k a year. If you have 20k a year and keep your scholarship that'll be around 64k alone in tuition after three years. Don't underestimate the COA in Chicago when you make your final decision. You'll probably have 15k a year in living expenses, and that's being extremely generous.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:im gonna go ahead and intervene here because red_alertz is someone that i know personally and he thought it would be interesting to find out my outcome by asking instead of waiting for me to do so. The reason why Pacific schools are not an option is because I haven't gotten into any of them. I have a sub 2.5 gpa and a 162 LSAT that is the result of having taken it 4 times. I know none of these schools have much of a chance at all into entering the CA market but if that's the case, then so be it because I'll be willing to stay in their respective regions. For the record, I did not get into a single T2 CA school (I applied to every single one) and I don't think it's advisable ITE to be going beyond a T2, let alone beyond T20 according to many here on TLS. These schools saw something in me and I was fortunate enough to get into them. But having taken the LSAT 4 times already and dedicated one year of my life to studying that test, retake is not an option. I'm not sure why I had to explain all of this in such detail but I'll go ahead and feed everyone's curiosity.

My options are as follows:

Depaul - $60k over 3 years, 2.3 gpa stip
Kent - $60k over 3 years, 3.25 gpa stip
Maryland - I haven't actually gotten in yet but I'm on their preferred wait list so at this point I'll just assume I got in with no money.

So ignoring all that's been said earlier (sorry red_alertz), what do you guys think is the best option among those 3 if they were my choices, in terms of employment prospects in their respective regions and considering the scholarship money that I've received?


I'd say given your scenario it is a close call between these three. If you want Chicago area I'd take one of the two Chicago options, if you think you'd prefer east coast/MD then I'd take MD. I think you are taking some degree of risk re: job prospects going to these schools, but I also don't think the options are necessary that bad (e.g. v. people who would simply say don't go).


I see thank you, what would you say it would be between depaul and kent then?


I'd say it's a toss up (Kent being a higher-ranked school, but also putting more stips). I would prob go DePaul though so you don't have to worry about GPA (especially given your Hx with low GPA in UG).

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 pm

my financial award summary for Depaul shows 64.6k total, so yea it is a little more but it seems to be about that much.

This is the breakdown:

Books and Supplies
740.00
Board
1,485.00
Mandatory Fees
156.00
Personal/Miscellaneous
3,852.00
Room
5,080.00
Transportation
365.00
Tuition
20,620.00
Term Total
32,298.00
Total Cost of Attendance
64,596.00

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:im gonna go ahead and intervene here because red_alertz is someone that i know personally and he thought it would be interesting to find out my outcome by asking instead of waiting for me to do so. The reason why Pacific schools are not an option is because I haven't gotten into any of them. I have a sub 2.5 gpa and a 162 LSAT that is the result of having taken it 4 times. I know none of these schools have much of a chance at all into entering the CA market but if that's the case, then so be it because I'll be willing to stay in their respective regions. For the record, I did not get into a single T2 CA school (I applied to every single one) and I don't think it's advisable ITE to be going beyond a T2, let alone beyond T20 according to many here on TLS. These schools saw something in me and I was fortunate enough to get into them. But having taken the LSAT 4 times already and dedicated one year of my life to studying that test, retake is not an option. I'm not sure why I had to explain all of this in such detail but I'll go ahead and feed everyone's curiosity.

My options are as follows:

Depaul - $60k over 3 years, 2.3 gpa stip
Kent - $60k over 3 years, 3.25 gpa stip
Maryland - I haven't actually gotten in yet but I'm on their preferred wait list so at this point I'll just assume I got in with no money.

So ignoring all that's been said earlier (sorry red_alertz), what do you guys think is the best option among those 3 if they were my choices, in terms of employment prospects in their respective regions and considering the scholarship money that I've received?


I'd say given your scenario it is a close call between these three. If you want Chicago area I'd take one of the two Chicago options, if you think you'd prefer east coast/MD then I'd take MD. I think you are taking some degree of risk re: job prospects going to these schools, but I also don't think the options are necessary that bad (e.g. v. people who would simply say don't go).


I see thank you, what would you say it would be between depaul and kent then?


I'd say it's a toss up (Kent being a higher-ranked school, but also putting more stips). I would prob go DePaul though so you don't have to worry about GPA (especially given your Hx with low GPA in UG).


i'm gonna try to get that stip removed or lowered, but looking at their thread it seems that people aren't having success doing so so that sucks. Even if I were to do IP, which I believe Kent is known for, I should still go to Depaul huh...

They did also explain that if I can only maintain a 3.0, then it'll be just half that amount, which is lower but at least not as bad as getting it entirely removed.

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm

lsatextreme wrote:my financial award summary for Depaul shows 64.6k total, so yea it is a little more but it seems to be about that much.

This is the breakdown:

Books and Supplies
740.00
Board
1,485.00
Mandatory Fees
156.00
Personal/Miscellaneous
3,852.00
Room
5,080.00
Transportation
365.00
Tuition
20,620.00
Term Total
32,298.00
Total Cost of Attendance
64,596.00


So the 64k is over a full year? Originally, I thought that you meant that the 64k was your total COA after three years, after taking into consideration your scholarship. So really, you'd be paying around 44k per school year and would graduate with around 132k debt?

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:03 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:my financial award summary for Depaul shows 64.6k total, so yea it is a little more but it seems to be about that much.

This is the breakdown:

Books and Supplies
740.00
Board
1,485.00
Mandatory Fees
156.00
Personal/Miscellaneous
3,852.00
Room
5,080.00
Transportation
365.00
Tuition
20,620.00
Term Total
32,298.00
Total Cost of Attendance
64,596.00


So the 64k is over a full year? Originally, I thought that you meant that the 64k was your total COA after three years, after taking into consideration your scholarship. So really, you'd be paying around 44k per school year and would graduate with around 132k debt?

oh yea sorry, that will be correct. i think the coa at kent is lower by a bit, not sure why

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby Magnolia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:05 pm

lsatextreme wrote:i'm gonna try to get that stip removed or lowered, but looking at their thread it seems that people aren't having success doing so so that sucks. Even if I were to do IP, which I believe Kent is known for, I should still go to Depaul huh...

They did also explain that if I can only maintain a 3.0, then it'll be just half that amount, which is lower but at least not as bad as getting it entirely removed.

Do you know what Kent curves to? If not, you need to find out. Getting a 3.0 at a school that curves to a 3.3 is very different from getting a 3.0 at a school that curves to a 3.0.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Magnolia wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:i'm gonna try to get that stip removed or lowered, but looking at their thread it seems that people aren't having success doing so so that sucks. Even if I were to do IP, which I believe Kent is known for, I should still go to Depaul huh...

They did also explain that if I can only maintain a 3.0, then it'll be just half that amount, which is lower but at least not as bad as getting it entirely removed.

Do you know what Kent curves to? If not, you need to find out. Getting a 3.0 at a school that curves to a 3.3 is very different from getting a 3.0 at a school that curves to a 3.0.


hmm I do not...but I found this info on their website:

Many Chicago-Kent merit scholarships require a 3.250 cumulative GPA to renew the award. Although the exact percentage varies from class to class, typically about 25% to 30% of the class attains a 3.250. In addition, beginning with the Fall 2007 entering class, students may retain 50% of the scholarship award if they attain at least a 3.000 cumulative GPA, which is typically met by slightly more than 50% of the class

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby Magnolia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:i'm gonna try to get that stip removed or lowered, but looking at their thread it seems that people aren't having success doing so so that sucks. Even if I were to do IP, which I believe Kent is known for, I should still go to Depaul huh...

They did also explain that if I can only maintain a 3.0, then it'll be just half that amount, which is lower but at least not as bad as getting it entirely removed.

Do you know what Kent curves to? If not, you need to find out. Getting a 3.0 at a school that curves to a 3.3 is very different from getting a 3.0 at a school that curves to a 3.0.


hmm I do not...but I found this info on their website:

Many Chicago-Kent merit scholarships require a 3.250 cumulative GPA to renew the award. Although the exact percentage varies from class to class, typically about 25% to 30% of the class attains a 3.250. In addition, beginning with the Fall 2007 entering class, students may retain 50% of the scholarship award if they attain at least a 3.000 cumulative GPA, which is typically met by slightly more than 50% of the class

So top 1/4 to keep the full scholarship and median to keep half of it? Yikes. Don't go to Kent.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

yea damn that does sound pretty brutal...ill try to negotiate the scholly in some way and then figure it out from there...thank you all.

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Chicago Kent$$ vs Maryland vs Depaul$$, cant decide, help!!!

Postby masochist » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:56 pm

The stipulation and Kent's rigidity about it are kind of scary. I'd go with DePaul.

Also, DePaul's data looked better in the 2009 Law School Transparency update than Kent, so I am not sure that Kent's advantage in USNWR is translating into jobs.

Here is Kent
--LinkRemoved--

and here is DePaul

--LinkRemoved--




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dojodawg, Specter1389 and 6 guests