Cornell($$$) v NYU($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell v NYU

Cornell(COA $120k)
32%
NYU (COA $190k)
68%

Total votes: 19

spacepenguin

Cornell($$$) v NYU($)

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 pm

So I've narrowed down my options to these two school, and while I'm extremely lucky to be able to have said options, I would appreciate wisdom from the TLS community. I've gone through the various threads discussing the pros and cons of virtually paying sticker at a top 6, but most of the discussion seems to derive from the absence of other options.

My preferences:

1. At the moment, I'm set on biglaw/judicial clerkship
2. Pretty debt averse
3. Would ideally like to return to Texas, but wouldn't mind living in New York one bit
4. Life outside of the school

Financial Aid:
NYU = $25k (COA ~ $190k)
Cornell = $90k (COA ~ $120k)

When I visited Cornell, I loved the place and would have 0 problem living in Ithaca, so that isn't a major concern. On the other hand, I won't have the opportunity of visiting NYU and will have to go on gut instinct alone. From an outside view though, I think I would enjoy NYU's variety of classes, interdisciplinary studies, and proximity to employment opportunities.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

bk1

Re: Cornell($$$) v NYU($)

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Cornell because you still have a decent chance at biglaw but if you fail to get it (which is still very possible coming from NYU), you can still feasibly pay off 120k within 10 years on a 50k/year salary with a few raises. That wouldn't be possible with 190k.

No money at UT?

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:44 pm

bk1 wrote:Cornell because you still have a decent chance at biglaw but if you fail to get it (which is still very possible coming from NYU), you can still feasibly pay off 120k within 10 years on a 50k/year salary with a few raises. That wouldn't be possible with 190k.

No money at UT?

Employment>placement. Money was pretty equal as well

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 pm

bk1 wrote:Cornell because you still have a decent chance at biglaw but if you fail to get it (which is still very possible coming from NYU), you can still feasibly pay off 120k within 10 years on a 50k/year salary with a few raises. That wouldn't be possible with 190k.

Came ITT to poast this.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 pm

I know you all are dying to give me advice. Shameless bump.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:44 pm

I think it's a question of how much you want to do something prestigious. If you want a better shot at a great clerkship, a top firm, or a prestigious gov/PI position I think NYU is probably worth the money.

I haven't visited Cornell, but NYU had a very different aura of opportunity than the other lower T14s I have visited (GULC, Duke, NU). The faculty are better and the opportunities are more abundant.

If you just want to be financially well off with a reasonable shot at a good career though, I think Cornell would be the better choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”