Penn$$ vs NYU$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn or NYU in my situation?

Penn ($52K scholly)
72%
NYU ($35K scholly)
28%

Total votes: 124

dpk711

Penn$$ vs NYU$

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:42 pm

So, I'm not too sure exactly what I want to do although I do want to keep the option of BigLaw at a major city open (LA, NY, DC). I was born in Philly so I have a personal affinity to Penn (although I moved out when I was young). Penn has been my dream school since the beginning of the cycle. However, I do not want to make an irrational decision based on my emotional sentiments though. I know for sure though I would be happier at Penn and Philly (visited both Philly and NY many times). Further, I have family in NY from whom I want to be distanced from law school as they may become a distraction to me. Penn gave me $52,000 in scholarships and NYU have me $35,500. Would I be making a stupid decision if I chose Penn? TLS decide for me!

TLSNYC

Re: Penn$$ vs NYU$

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 pm

I think you should go to Penn. Reasons:

1. When you factor NYC's higher COL, Penn comes out to be about 27-30k cheaper, which is a good amount of money.

2. In terms of biglaw, Penn & NYU are more peer schools than anything else. You are not hurting your career prospects at all in this regard by going to Penn. Just compare NLJ250+Art. III clerkship numbers for the schools.

3. You clearly sound like you have a strong personal preference for Philly and Penn. Why not go where you'd be happiest?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:52 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I think you should go to Penn. Reasons:

1. When you factor NYC's higher COL, Penn comes out to be about 27-30k cheaper, which is a good amount of money.

2. In terms of biglaw, Penn & NYU are more peer schools than anything else. You are not hurting your career prospects at all in this regard by going to Penn. Just compare NLJ250+Art. III clerkship numbers for the schools.

3. You clearly sound like you have a strong personal preference for Philly and Penn. Why not go where you'd be happiest?

Thanks for reassuring me. As for #2 though, how much do you think this is due to self-selection? I know NYU ppl love PI.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Taking Penn over NYU at equal cost isn't a stupid decision if there are personal reasons to factor in. Taking it at far less cost is even more reasonable.

Don't let TLS's T6 mentality get to you.

bmore

Postby bmore » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 pm

I chose Penn over NYU

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 pm

dpk711 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:I think you should go to Penn. Reasons:

Thanks for reassuring me. As for #2 though, how much do you think this is due to self-selection? I know NYU ppl love PI.

I'm sure that NYU's NLJ250 could've been higher if more students wanted BigLaw, but honestly, I don't wanna get into that discussion since people far more informed than me have been going back and forth about it in other threads at earlier points. Bottom line: Penn's much higher placement in biglaw could certainly be attributed to self-selection into private sector vs public sector, but I have a feeling that if all the public sector folks at NYU went for biglaw, the percentage actually getting it would be similar to what it is at Penn, not much higher which is what the TLS-T6 myth would have you believe.

For disclosure, I will be attending Penn this fall. I also picked it over NYU (and UChicago); oddly enough, I had almost exact same scholarship offers, except 2-3k LESS from both Penn & NYU.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:43 pm

bk1 wrote:Taking Penn over NYU at equal cost isn't a stupid decision if there are personal reasons to factor in. Taking it at far less cost is even more reasonable.

This. Go to Penn.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:47 pm

TLSNYC wrote:TLS-T6 myth

It isn't so much a myth but that (at least pre-ITE) top firms hired much more heavily from CCN than from the schools below them, or at least that's what I have heard from other people.

But now with ITE shitting on everybody's dreams, these schools don't offer significant advantages over the others in regards to getting biglaw to pay off sticker price debt.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Dany wrote:
bk1 wrote:Taking Penn over NYU at equal cost isn't a stupid decision if there are personal reasons to factor in. Taking it at far less cost is even more reasonable.

This. Go to Penn.

+2

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:01 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
Dany wrote:

This. Go to Penn.

+2

+3

If I could vote for Penn again, I would.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:03 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:If I could vote for Penn again, I would.

I usually just post and don't bother to vote in the poll but since you said this I decided to cast a vote for Penn. So you kind of did. :P

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:49 pm

So is Penn a peer of NYU?

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:32 pm

dpk711 wrote:So is Penn a peer of NYU?

If you're talking about the private sector, CCNP

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed May 09, 2012 5:21 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:

Nice necro. Trolling from the grave!

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 am

I don't see anything trolling about that statement

law2015

Postby law2015 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:26 am

willwilliams1334 wrote:I don't see anything trolling about that statement

Just relax with the Penn trolling already. Its like you are a paid spokesperson.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 am

law2015 wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:I don't see anything trolling about that statement

Just relax with the Penn trolling already. Its like you are a paid spokesperson.

For srs. & change ur tar, Will was the one who was west philadelphia born and raised.

georgeconstanza

Postby georgeconstanza » Fri May 11, 2012 12:56 pm

I have this decision as well, except the money's the same (though obviously NYU carries a higher cost of living). Besides "it's ranked higher!" what's really the pro-NYU argument? Better if you do something other than biglaw, about the same otherwise? Is that fair?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri May 11, 2012 1:21 pm

georgeconstanza wrote:I have this decision as well, except the money's the same (though obviously NYU carries a higher cost of living). Besides "it's ranked higher!" what's really the pro-NYU argument? Better if you do something other than biglaw, about the same otherwise? Is that fair?

No. NYU almost certainly has the edge for NYC biglaw as well. If you want to do anything in NYC, NYU over Penn at equal cost every time.

anli

Postby anli » Fri May 11, 2012 1:29 pm

OP: I was in the same position three years ago, and I chose NYU. No regrets. The difference isn't at median, but at the very top end: for the best clerkships, the best jobs, and the best academic positions, NYU has a substantial edge. The feeder judge for whom I will be clerking has hired one Penn grad in the last ten years; seven from NYU. My firm had 11 SAs from NYU, 3 from Penn. While there are some narrow exceptions--D.C. firms, like W&C, recruit more heavily from Penn than NYU--there is, in general, a real gap for top-end jobs. Whether that is worth $20k to you is a different question.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun May 13, 2012 1:27 am

anli wrote:OP: I was in the same position three years ago, and I chose NYU. No regrets. The difference isn't at median, but at the very top end: for the best clerkships, the best jobs, and the best academic positions, NYU has a substantial edge. The feeder judge for whom I will be clerking has hired one Penn grad in the last ten years; seven from NYU. My firm had 11 SAs from NYU, 3 from Penn. While there are some narrow exceptions--D.C. firms, like W&C, recruit more heavily from Penn than NYU--there is, in general, a real gap for top-end jobs. Whether that is worth $20k to you is a different question.

Your premise may be correct, but your proffered statistical evidence could be very skewed for a variety of reasons. Judges and firms all have favorites for different reasons. You are supposed to view things in aggregate. Class size, regional self-selection, and other factors are also issues. It makes sense to conclude that NYU is better for NY opportunities. But you shouldn't equate top-end with NY. That's where most of the jobs are, but that doesn't make them top-end.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun May 13, 2012 1:45 am

^ That and, of course, there are a lot more kids at NYU so we would expect the aggrigate numbers of NYU kids in any given position to be higher. Honestly, I don't get why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

soj

Postby soj » Sun May 13, 2012 1:58 am

Veyron wrote:^ That and, of course, there are a lot more kids at NYU so we would expect the aggrigate numbers of NYU kids in any given position to be higher. Honestly, I don't get why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

Some people do commit this flaw, but I think a lot of the time people are taking class sizes into account (i.e. NYU places 2x or more in certain firms, and NYU is not that much bigger than Penn).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun May 13, 2012 2:22 am

soj wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ That and, of course, there are a lot more kids at NYU so we would expect the aggrigate numbers of NYU kids in any given position to be higher. Honestly, I don't get why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

Some people do commit this flaw, but I think a lot of the time people are taking class sizes into account (i.e. NYU places 2x or more in certain firms, and NYU is not that much bigger than Penn).

ABA data:

Penn 1st year: 249

249 x 2 = 498

NYU 1st year: 476

NYU is that much bigger, and you are not accounting for it.

Also, why don't we compile a list of hires for V10 firms' non-NYC offices?

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:25 am

willwilliams1334 wrote:

+1. CCNP is spot on, even more so than PBV.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”