Insane Not to Accept Hamilton? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HamDel

New

Insane Not to Accept Hamilton?

Post by HamDel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:09 pm

A friend of mine is weighing the Hamilton at Columbia (full ride) vs. Harvard at sticker. I'm obviously biased, but I told her it would be totally crazy not to take the scholarship at Columbia. She's not sure what she wants to do yet, but will probably start at a large law firm. I told her it seems like a bad decision to lock herself into all that debt just for a marginally more prestigious degree that will probably take her to the same job she would have after graduation anyway. Is there a really justifiable reason to turn down the Hamilton that I'm not thinking of?

sonervous88

Bronze

Re: Insane Not to Accept Hamilton?

Post by sonervous88 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:10 pm

i wouldn't. hamilton is awesome

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Common sentiment is that Hamilton = Harvard. So no, she's not insane. She just has a preference in a really close decision.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 pm

I think she'd be insane to turn it down. Sure, a handful of doors will be closed, but many more will be opened by being able to graduate with little debt.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 pm

You need a poll.

And I'd take the Hamilton in a heartbeat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Hamilton all the way.

BigBenD

New

Post by BigBenD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Common sentiment is that Hamilton = Harvard. So no, she's not insane. She just has a preference in a really close decision.
I am really skeptical about the truth of that little equation there. It doesn't seem to make any mathematical, logical, or financial sense. Realistically speaking, Columbia can place you almost anywhere that Harvard can, and--all else equal--there would be no reason to expect a higher paying job with a Harvard degree than with a Columbia degree. At the very least, I don't see how that salary difference (if it were to exist) could possibly justify 160K in debt. If you're paying for the prestige, Columbia is plenty prestigious, and Harvard is not 160K more prestigious. It just doesn't make sense. I think you're right, OP--"insane" is the proper adjective.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think she'd be insane to turn it down. Sure, a handful of doors will be closed, but many more will be opened by being able to graduate with little debt.
+150k

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 pm

BigBenD wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Common sentiment is that Hamilton = Harvard. So no, she's not insane. She just has a preference in a really close decision.
I am really skeptical about the truth of that little equation there. It doesn't seem to make any mathematical, logical, or financial sense. Realistically speaking, Columbia can place you almost anywhere that Harvard can, and--all else equal--there would be no reason to expect a higher paying job with a Harvard degree than with a Columbia degree. At the very least, I don't see how that salary difference (if it were to exist) could possibly justify 160K in debt. If you're paying for the prestige, Columbia is plenty prestigious, and Harvard is not 160K more prestigious. It just doesn't make sense. I think you're right, OP--"insane" is the proper adjective.
Especially when you consider the interest on the 160k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 pm

BigBenD wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. If you want big law, you're probably right. If you have bigger ambitions, Harvard opens doors that Columbia can't.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
BigBenD wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. If you want big law, you're probably right. If you have bigger ambitions, Harvard opens doors that Columbia can't.
Why only "probably right" for big law?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 pm

As someone who will be attending Harvard at a discount, I wouldve taken ANY top 10 full ride over HYS if I were facing sticker.

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:30 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
BigBenD wrote:
Let's please not propagate false information.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:It depends on what you want to do. If you want big law, you're probably right. If you have bigger ambitions, Harvard opens doors that Columbia can't.
This sounds about right. Harvard will have significant advantages for clerkships/academia/prestigiousstuff/etc, but the thing is that these will still be hard to get at Harvard. Obviously CLS is the right choice for biglaw.

I mean if you really really want those things then go to Harvard but I am not sure that sticker at H is justified from a cost/benefit analysis compared to 70k at C.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:33 pm

ExpectLess wrote:Let's please not propagate false information.
Oh come now. If we look at something as simple as A3 clerkships, the difference between the two is definitely significant.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:34 pm

If the goal is NYC BigLaw, the Hamilton is TCR.

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 pm

bk187 wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:Let's please not propagate false information.
Oh come now. If we look at something as simple as A3 clerkships, the difference between the two is definitely significant.
You have to be at a less high rank at Harvard to get the same opportunities as Columbia. To say that Harvard has doors that Columbia can't access is just wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:36 pm

It would be insane not to accept a Hamilton scholarship if that person attends Columbia.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 pm

ExpectLess wrote:You have to be at a less high rank at Harvard to get the same opportunities as Columbia. To say that Harvard has doors that Columbia can't access is just wrong.
It was a tad hyperbolic but now you're just arguing semantics when it was representative of the truth.

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

bk187 wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:You have to be at a less high rank at Harvard to get the same opportunities as Columbia. To say that Harvard has doors that Columbia can't access is just wrong.
It was a tad hyperbolic but now you're just arguing semantics when it was representative of the truth.
To me, there is a BIG difference between saying that Harvard will give you opportunities that Columbia can't, and that Harvard will make the same opportunities somewhat easier to get.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:42 pm

This is absolutely false. However, when it comes to OCI/NYC BigLaw specifically, the gap is too small to be worth discussing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 pm

No not insane. Debatable, but neither choice is wrong.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:47 pm

tkgrrett wrote:As someone who will be attending Harvard at a discount, I wouldve taken ANY top 10 full ride over HYS if I were facing sticker.
Not to derail this thread, but didn't you get the Darrow from Michigan?

samsonyte16

New

Post by samsonyte16 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Neither decision is insane. Paying for Harvard is a sound investment, as is the scholarship at Columbia. Which one he/she takes should come down to her interests and goals, as well as which place seems like the best fit. Speaking as someone who has made the decision between HYS and T10 for free, and has met many others in the same position, I can verify that there is nothing easy or obvious about this choice. My advice is to go to the school that feels the most comfortable and not worry too much about cost/benefit analysis.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Yes. I think she would be insane to turn it down, but that's just my opinion.
Last edited by 071816 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”