Hastings vs. Loyola vs. Irvine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School would you take?

UC Irvine
41%
Hastings
46%
Loyola (LA)
13%

Total votes: 39

greg737

Hastings vs. Loyola vs. Irvine

Postby greg737 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am

So it's come down to these three for me and I can't seem to find any reason to knock off two and pick the final one.

I basically want to work in Southern California eventually, though I've been around here my whole life and do kind of want to live somewhere else for a bit (as long as I can get back). I don't really know what kind of law I want to do, though I have considered tax law, if only b/c I was an econ major in college.

You think the lack of alumni is a big deal for Irvine? That's really the only downside I see for that school, except, apparently, the community in Orange County, businesses, law firms, etc., are really behind the school and should hire plenty of grads.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola vs. Irvine

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:45 am

It all comes down to money. Any of these schools offer you any?

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:55 pm

The Irvine SIR date has passed. Can you still register to attend after the date?

greg737

Postby greg737 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:26 am

I did register for Irvine, but can always withdraw if I decide on the other schools.

Irvine I got the 40 percent scholarship that (I believe) they are giving everybody.
Hastings I received an $11K grant, but no scholarship.
Loyola I received a $23,000 scholarship per year, but it has the top 30 percent stipulation.

So Hastings is the most expensive for sure out of the three. I'd like to decide on something other than finances, though.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:04 pm

greg737 wrote:I did register for Irvine, but can always withdraw if I decide on the other schools.

Irvine I got the 40 percent scholarship that (I believe) they are giving everybody.
Hastings I received an $11K grant, but no scholarship.
Loyola I received a $23,000 scholarship per year, but it has the top 30 percent stipulation.

So Hastings is the most expensive for sure out of the three. I'd like to decide on something other than finances, though.

Irvine has way more upside. But if you aren't head over heals excited about UCI and the prospect of building the foundation of the school (and the extra work that comes with it) I'd go to Hastings. While Hastings and Loyola aren't far apart in the rankings, Hastings has a MUCH better reputation among all of California. Hastings used to be a top 20, so the older lawyers all have a lot more respect for it than 0Ls do, for the most part.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:12 pm

irvine all day here. you're going to be paying out of your nose for hastings. loyola w/ top 30% stip shouldn't even be considered.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:01 pm

The money is decisive. Irvine FTW.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:14 pm

FWIW, I had the EXACT same choice to make. Same scholarships and everything. I ended up withdrawing from UCI because I currently live in Orange County and don't think I can take another 3 years here. I also feel more comfortable going to an accredited school with an alumni base.

For me, the choice is now between Loyola and Hastings. I want to stay in the LA area once I graduate and I'm pretty wary of debt, so I think it will be Loyola for me. I also visited both schools and had a better experience at Loyola. Good luck with your choice.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:31 pm

stowhat wrote:FWIW, I had the EXACT same choice to make. Same scholarships and everything. I ended up withdrawing from UCI because I currently live in Orange County and don't think I can take another 3 years here. I also feel more comfortable going to an accredited school with an alumni base.

For me, the choice is now between Loyola and Hastings. I want to stay in the LA area once I graduate and I'm pretty wary of debt, so I think it will be Loyola for me. I also visited both schools and had a better experience at Loyola. Good luck with your choice.

I understand the alumni base criticism which is very valid but the "not accredited" criticism doesn't make sense. The school will be accredited in the next year (maybe 2) I don't care enough to find out. With some schools "not accredited" is a valid criticism but not where the school is clearly going to be accredited and would be before you graduate. Even with the lack of alumni base and criticism of UCI's grandiose claims of debuting T20 - there seems to be no doubt that it will start in the T50 and likely on par or better than UCH. In the long run it will probably be the UCD/UCH of so cal prestige-wise.

In terms of him saving money - A Loyola decision will save you money only if you meet the stip requirements otherwise its a colossal disaster - but 40% guaranteed all 3 years from UCI? Many would debate whether that's not the more economical decision. There's certainly something to be said for "experiencing" the school and developing a personal preference for one or the other - but all things being equal I would still say OP should go UCI.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:38 pm

You're right, the accreditation is a minor issue - it's a pretty small risk, although it does limit your ability to transfer schools. For me, it was mostly the alumni base/location issue.

And yes, the 30% stipulation at Loyola is also a risk, although my UG scholarship had a more constricting stipulation and it worked out okay. Stressful at times, but worth the $$. For me, UCI certainly would be cheaper but the issues I've mentioned above outweigh this benefit. I think all of these schools are a great choice but each has their downfall - it's up to the OP to decide which of these downfalls he is most comfortable with.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Wait, let me be a little more optimistic...

I think all of these schools are a great choice but each has their downfall and each has their benefits - it's up to the OP to decide which of these downfalls he is most comfortable with. he likes best.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:48 pm

These scholarship offers aren't really enticing enough for these schools.

Retake/reapply if possible would be my advice.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm biased but here are my thoughts on recommending UCI, outside of my bias:

Why UCI:
1. Sarah Lawsky (our amazing tax professor)
2. Dean C
3. Sarah Lawsky
4. Be wary of the 30% stipulation at Loyola. I don't know if Loyola stacks sections, but many schools do, so it isn't just finishing top 30%, but finishing top 30% in a section full of other scholarship recipients (generally the stronger students in the class). I know a number of Class of 2013 turned down scholarships, including full rides and one full ride plus stipend from Loyola to attend UCI. (not sure what my decision would have been with a full ride plus stipend to anywhere - tough to turn down)
5.Sarah Lawsky
6. Hastings - a tougher choice but the schools are like night and day so you should have an intuitive sense of which you prefer. Hastings is more expensive with their grant offer, but putting the money aside for a moment - the differences btwn the schools are huge:
** Huge student body vs small student body. I prefer small for the attention, for accessibility, for the smaller class size, and for the community feel But a large school will have more course selection, more organizations, more professors to choose from
** Competitive vs cooperative. Hastings is known for being competitive (if you visited and didn't think so or if other Hastings students disagree, then maybe their reputation isn't earned - but they got that reputation somehow). Irvine couldn't be more cooperative. The faculty and administration encourage it. Where at some schools just talking to another student about your analysis for your legal writing project is grounds for an honor code violation. At UCI we are encouraged to talk to our classmates and even work with them. We are supposed to do the work ourselves, but it is OK to share case finds with others or to share and discuss analysis. This is just one example.
** urban v suburban. This was a less important factor to me, but it may be very important to you. I kind of like Irvine's atmosphere for law school. It helps to keep me focused, and I don't have to worry if I forget to lock the car door or if I leave my computer for two minutes in the courtyard to go grab a coffee from the coffee cart. On the other hand, Hastings biggest strength, and probably what was hardest for me to give up when I was deciding a year ago is it's proximity to externships. You have so many judges and organizations within very close distance to the school. Irvine values experiential learning, but the closest decent externships are about a half hour away from what I can tell.
** Basically both schools have plusses and minusses. I love UCI, but I can't say whether it right for you. However, I recommend UCI highly.
7. Sarah Lawsky
8. Dean C
9. Oh, and I forgot, Sarah Lawsky

Return to “Choosing a Law School”