Columbia (75K) vs Cornell (105K) + living assistance

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell vs Columbia

Poll ended at Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Columbia (75K)
63%
Cornell (105K) + living assistance
38%

Total votes: 64

rebexness

Re: Columbia (75K) vs Cornell (105K) + living assistance

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Frankly, I'd worry about the double edged sword that living with the boyfriend may be. Since it's long distance, I'm guessing you've had little opportunity to spend substantial amounts of time around him. Transitioning to living with a person can be quite a shock on a relationship, as I'd happen to know from my own bitter experience, and having things fall through in the middle of 1L could cost you dearly, emotionally and career-wise. If he decides you should move out halfway through your first semester, will you regret coming to Ithaca altogether?

I'd go to CLS and not look back.

tellimaiee

Postby tellimaiee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Haha! rebexness -a friend of mine and his told him the same thing. I think we are pretty solid, but honestly the lack of support did not sit well with me. I understand that he would prefer I go to Cornell and be with him, but at the same time if he really loved me, he should stand by me no matter what. According to my mom, he was "cutting off my wings." Also, if it were to fall apart dresden doll, I know I would absolutely regret not going to Columbia because as a Cornell Alum I would hate missing out on the opportunity of a new experience at an amazing law school.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:29 pm

NYC is an amazing place to live. I would go to Columbia.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:42 pm

tellimaiee wrote:Also, if it were to fall apart dresden doll, I know I would absolutely regret not going to Columbia because as a Cornell Alum I would hate missing out on the opportunity of a new experience at an amazing law school.

Go to CLS.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:58 pm

IF you're sure about public interest, Cornell seems like the right choice. The added prestige of Columbia is most beneficial for private sector purposes. Also, though, .. what if you break up with your bf? That could get weird then.

In sum: if you're pretty sure about public interest and if you're pretty serious with your bf, Cornell. Otherwise, Columbia.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 pm

woeisme wrote:IF you're sure about public interest, Cornell seems like the right choice. The added prestige of Columbia is most beneficial for private sector purposes. Also, though, .. what if you break up with your bf? That could get weird then.

In sum: if you're pretty sure about public interest and if you're pretty serious with your bf, Cornell. Otherwise, Columbia.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 pm

rebexness wrote:
tellimaiee wrote: and he is not being supportive of the idea of another three years.

If he likes it he should put a ring on it...

Hahahaha. +1

tellimaiee wrote:Haha! rebexness -a friend of mine and his told him the same thing. I think we are pretty solid, but honestly the lack of support did not sit well with me. I understand that he would prefer I go to Cornell and be with him, but at the same time if he really loved me, he should stand by me no matter what. According to my mom, he was "cutting off my wings." Also, if it were to fall apart dresden doll, I know I would absolutely regret not going to Columbia because as a Cornell Alum I would hate missing out on the opportunity of a new experience at an amazing law school.

I know this is no longer undergrad, so planning on going to school to be near someone isn't as much of a stretch (as more people are likely to get married about this time)...it's still hard for me to justify passing up something that you would "absolutely regret" if the relationship fell through. I'm not in your shoes though, so I won't give you a "go to XXX" statement...but let's just say I agree with dresden doll in general...

And I think tea_drinker's giving you a LOT of excellent advice...definitely shoot Columbia's offer by Cornell (in a nice way :) ).

EDIT: Oh, and your mom= awesome b/c of that quote haha

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

Nope. Just my understanding based on anecdotal evidence.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”