Davis vs Hastings vs UCLA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Davis vs. Hastings vs. UCLA

Hastings (30k)
18%
UC Davis (tba)
22%
UCLA ($0)
60%

Total votes: 60

chocoholic

New

Re: Davis vs Hastings vs UCLA

Post by chocoholic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Lasers wrote:
amissionsix wrote:I'm curious what everybody's thoughts would be if this discussion was USC ($0) vs. Hastings ($63K) given that I want to practice in the Bay Area.

Even though USC/UCLA are "ranked" closely, I get the sense that UCLA is a better school than the numbers suggest. Similarly I have a hard time believing that Hastings and Davis are as far apart as the "rankings" claim. Any thoughts/input are appreciated.
there's a very similar thread about this from someone else; 63k at hastings seemed like a better deal than usc.
Where did you find that thread?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

chocoholic wrote:
Lasers wrote:
amissionsix wrote:I'm curious what everybody's thoughts would be if this discussion was USC ($0) vs. Hastings ($63K) given that I want to practice in the Bay Area.

Even though USC/UCLA are "ranked" closely, I get the sense that UCLA is a better school than the numbers suggest. Similarly I have a hard time believing that Hastings and Davis are as far apart as the "rankings" claim. Any thoughts/input are appreciated.
there's a very similar thread about this from someone else; 63k at hastings seemed like a better deal than usc.
Where did you find that thread?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=153082

note: OP is pretty debt averse. if debt is not a factor at all, then usc would obviously be the smarter decision, unless maybe someone was dead set on the bay area.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08 am

UCLA simply has far better job prospects than the other two, go there. Even with the crushing debt of paying sticker price, UCLA carries better financial risk.

chocoholic

New

Post by chocoholic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Does anyone know how to edit a poll? Like take an option off for example?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:03 pm

chocoholic wrote:
arhmcpo wrote:Assuming Davis matches Hastings offer - and your sure you want to stay in Norcal - and you personally love Davis much more than the other options - then (and only then) do I think you could go to Davis and not be a total lunatic for turning down UCLA.

Do not worry at all about your "numbers" being lower than UCLA's norm and that equating to you being bottom of your class. My friend was literally last off the waitlist at his school and is above median student as a 2L - point being once you walk through the doors at your law school everyone is equal. Your LSAT/GPA cease to matter once you start law school that's why people stress taking advantage of them for the best offer or school possible - you've worked hard for those stats and this is the time you cash in. Statistically your less likely to be top of your class at UCLA but by no means does that suggest your gonna flunk out or be at the bottom either.
Thanks for this....I need a boost of confidence and you're making a very good point.
If this were true, then URMs that get into schools beyond their numbers should take money at lower schools instead. That's dumb

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”