UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Davis vs. Loyola

Davis
16
64%
Loyola
9
36%
 
Total votes: 25

eagle0889
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 pm

UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby eagle0889 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 pm

I know there are a lot of threads already out there about this choice, but I was wondering if you guys could shed any insight on how much better Loyola is for LA jobs than Davis. I visited Davis and loved it a lot and could see myself enjoying attending law school there more so than at Loyola, but from everything I'm reading Loyola's alumni network in SoCal (where I want to work after I graduate) trumps that of Davis. Is it unreasonable to choose Davis over Loyola for someone who wants an LA job or is that a justifiable decision based on overall feel of the campus and ranking?
Thanks!!

ucsd2011
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:37 am

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby ucsd2011 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 pm

If you want to eventually work in LA, i would recommend Loyola. I am currently in the process of deciding between Davis and Loyola. Davis is a great school with great rankings, but unfortunately, I do not feel they will hold onto their 23 ranking next year. Look to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153604

If you do well enough at Davis, you might have some pull in LA, but loyola does have a vast alumni network (approximately 15,000 strong) in the LA area. It will make it MUCH easier to work in LA from loyola than davis. Do not let anyone tell you that Davis has an easier time getting into LA, that's extremely false (Yes, you can do it, but you have to work that much harder). If you don't mind working in the Bay Area, then that is a different story. In my opinion though, the ONLY thing Davis has on Loyola is ranking (But this is my opinion and is subject to scrutiny).

I have been battling this decision for weeks, if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby 071816 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 pm

I say if Loyola offered you a significant scholarship then Loyola. If not - Davis.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby 20160810 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:57 pm

With equal money, you're insane to go to Loyola. It is VERY EASY to get a job in LA from Davis if you have the grades and do the legwork. About a third of our class winds up down there every year, and the percentage could easily be higher were it not for self-selection and the fact that most sane people prefer SF to LA, but that's an aside.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:24 am

SBL wrote:With equal money, you're insane to go to Loyola. It is VERY EASY to get a job in LA from Davis if you have the grades and do the legwork. About a third of our class winds up down there every year, and the percentage could easily be higher were it not for self-selection and the fact that most sane people prefer SF to LA, but that's an aside.


I would love to see some data re: this because I am in at Loyola with the 87k scholarship, but on the waitlist at Davis. Do you think Davis at sticker would be worth it over Loyola with a scholly if I don't really have a preference for LA vs. Bay area?
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you know if Davis ever gives grant money to applicants admitted off of the waitlist? Also (last question I promise) do you think it is possible to receive grant money at Davis for 2L and 3L if you are admitted off the waitlist and (presumably) paying sticker for 1L?

eagle0889
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby eagle0889 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 pm

I think Davis is definitely worth sticker over Loyola with scholarship, especially with the 1/3 stipulation if you have no preference between SF and LA. You can also ask the financial aid director at Davis about grant money if you get in off the waitlist and even if you end up paying sticker 1L you re-apply for aid each year anyway so 2L and 3L grants wouldn't be impossible to get.

In terms of getting a job in LA after graduation, are you guys saying that it wouldn't be substantially harder from Davis than Loyola, given about 15000 Loyola alum vs 1500 Davis alum? I really liked Davis when I visited I just want to make sure I'm not screwing my chances of getting a good job back in LA if I turn down Loyola and go to Davis.

GueritaPeloChino
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:21 pm

ucsd2011 wrote:If you want to eventually work in LA, i would recommend Loyola. I am currently in the process of deciding between Davis and Loyola. Davis is a great school with great rankings, but unfortunately, I do not feel they will hold onto their 23 ranking next year. Look to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153604

If you do well enough at Davis, you might have some pull in LA, but loyola does have a vast alumni network (approximately 15,000 strong) in the LA area. It will make it MUCH easier to work in LA from loyola than davis. Do not let anyone tell you that Davis has an easier time getting into LA, that's extremely false (Yes, you can do it, but you have to work that much harder). If you don't mind working in the Bay Area, then that is a different story. In my opinion though, the ONLY thing Davis has on Loyola is ranking (But this is my opinion and is subject to scrutiny).

I have been battling this decision for weeks, if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.



You were right, Davis did lose their 23 ranking. I wonder where you ultimately chose to attend. I'm leaning towards attending Loyola as the consensus seems to be choose Loyola over Davis if you want to work in Los Angeles after graduation.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:18 pm

eagle0889 wrote:I know there are a lot of threads already out there about this choice, but I was wondering if you guys could shed any insight on how much better Loyola is for LA jobs than Davis. I visited Davis and loved it a lot and could see myself enjoying attending law school there more so than at Loyola, but from everything I'm reading Loyola's alumni network in SoCal (where I want to work after I graduate) trumps that of Davis. Is it unreasonable to choose Davis over Loyola for someone who wants an LA job or is that a justifiable decision based on overall feel of the campus and ranking?
Thanks!!


I had lunch with a Loyola grad (class of 2011) a few months ago. It took him 8 months to find a job. He would only work in Entertainment Law.

I don't know if that helps.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tinafeyclone and 2 guests