Northern New York Practice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ebl1014

Northern New York Practice

Postby ebl1014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Information on this has been very scarce so I'm starting a thread to see if anyone has any idea about Northern NY/VT law practice and which schools feed well to this region. I currently live in VT (went to undergrad here) and want to practice law in upstate NY (northern Adirondack Park) upon graduation. I absolutely, positively, did not want to go to school in the cities of Albany (3 hours from where I want to practice), Buffalo (5+ hours), or Syracuse (5+ hours) so I didn't even bother applying. Instead, I applied to schools in NYC (because I find the area to be a much better place to go to school, it's still in the same state & have family near by). I got into Cardozo with a 50%-ish scholarship and have pretty much decided to go. However, a bell rang and at the last minute I have applied to VT Law due to it's proximity to the area in which I want to practice (it's about a 3 hour drive away). My question is- even though VT Law is closer to where I want to practice and cheaper to attend- would it be foolish to go to VT Law over Cardozo at half price if I want to practice in upstate NY? I've hear a lot of talk about the importance of going to school in the state that you want to practice in, but am a little unsure about how that applies to a region like this. Thanks for any insight!

StillHerexxx

Re: Northern New York Practice

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Cardozo isn't going to help you much upstate. I am a little confused, you didn't apply to any upstate schools because you don't think they are good places to go to school, why would upstate be a good place to spend the rest of your life if you don't even want to be there for 3 years of law school. The thing is that a lot of lawyers upstate are from Buffalo or Cuse, so they tend to be much more loyal to those schools. People from these schools are even having trouble finding work up here, so I question how much Cardozo will transfer.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I'd go with Cardozo. I don't see why you can't get back up by the Northway with a Cardozo degree. It will mostly be Albany grads looking for work in that area and your degree is from a stronger NY school. Surprised you didn't apply to Albany though, since you probably would have gotten a full ride and that's the region the school is setup to serve best.

That said, you could go with Vermont, but since you seem to be interested in spending 3 years down state, since Cardozo is a better school, and since you have a sizable scholarship, I think its the better choice.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Cardozo is higher ranked, but it is still a regional school, and its region in NYC. I don't understand the logic of not applying to somewhere like Albany and getting more money and being set to work in the region you want. I would seriously consider sending a late app to any upstate school to see what they throw at you.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I am a little confused, you didn't apply to any upstate schools because you don't think they are good places to go to school, why would upstate be a good place to spend the rest of your life if you don't even want to be there for 3 years of law school. The thing is that a lot of lawyers upstate are from Buffalo or Cuse, so they tend to be much more loyal to those schools. People from these schools are even having trouble finding work up here, so I question how much Cardozo will transfer.

To me, Syracuse, Albany, and Buffalo are crappy quasi-cities that don't compare at all to the part of upstate NY that I want to practice in. I am looking to live & work in the Adirondack Park- east of Utica and north of Lake George. I have noticed a lot of Albany grads in that area but was really deterred from Albany due to the lack of proximity to any family (or anyone I know at all) and the overall poor quality of the city. I appreciate your input though and think that you hit the nail on the head as far as the biggest feeder schools to that region. Unfortunately, I just definitely do not want to go to them

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:19 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Cardozo is higher ranked, but it is still a regional school, and its region in NYC. I don't understand the logic of not applying to somewhere like Albany and getting more money and being set to work in the region you want. I would seriously consider sending a late app to any upstate school to see what they throw at you.

I'll take the advice, reluctantly, and send one to Albany right now

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Cardozo is higher ranked, but it is still a regional school, and its region in NYC. I don't understand the logic of not applying to somewhere like Albany and getting more money and being set to work in the region you want. I would seriously consider sending a late app to any upstate school to see what they throw at you.

I agree Albany was the best option here. I don't think Syracuse or Buffalo would be good choices, since their region is mainly central and western NY. Though Syracuse might get the job done as well.

Albany though, that is right up the OPs alley. I mean, the school is perfect for the NE section of the state. Still, if its Vermont at sticker or Cardozo at half scholarship with good stipulations, than I think Cardozo is better. CoL will be much higher in NY, but if the cost comes out about the same, I would think Cardozo would be worth it, just in terms of fall back options it could provide. I also don't think going to a T1/T2 instate locks him out of NE NY. Upstate firms won't be super competitive, and he has ties to the region. He can get back there.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:21 pm

ebl1014 wrote:

I'll take the advice, reluctantly, and send one to Albany right now

Good plan. You'll get in. Then throw the Cardozo money in their face and see what happens.

Edit: Try to target your PS for Albany. Just so they know you're serious.
Last edited by Justathought on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Go with Vermont or New Hampshire. You know what the north country is like. all you need is to pass the NYS bar- which you will take after LS. Buffalo, Syracuse and Albany are far enough away- where people from there are treated like strangers. Albany would be a decent option as many people in the north country go there for travel and doctors appts. However, its too expensive to consider. I think your best bet would be vermont. IF you miss out on the North Country- Vermont is very similar to the region- and you may like it.
Syracuse is a decent option- but only if you get a decent scholarship. At sticker- it would be way to expensive imo.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 pm

I don't want to be a downer, but I am from Utica, and it is the biggest shit hole on the planet. The Adirondacks are awesome, just know that much of the area is extremely rural and touristy. You have to go with your gut on the choice though. If you want three years in the city, go for it, it might just take a little more work to get where you want to be.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Don't worry- I'm not interested in Utica! I've driven through once and that was enough. I meant, way, way east of Utica (Olympic Region, exit 30 off the northway- I've lived there for the past three summers and have been there on the weekends for the past 3 winters). Thanks for all your help. I wasn't expecting anyone to know much about the region and am very appreciative!!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:30 pm

ebl1014 wrote:Don't worry- I'm not interested in Utica! I've driven through once and that was enough. I meant, way, way east (Olympic Region, exit 30 off the northway). Thanks for all your help. I wasn't expecting anyone to know much about the region and am very appreciative!!

Lake Placid is a great town. If you could ever develop a nice solo practice, down the road, it would be idyllic.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:32 pm

I lived in the adirondacks for a year. If you come from any city environment- it will be a big change of pace. ITs a lot of fun if you like the outdoors ( hiking, cross country skiing that type of deal) but you are cut off from civilization. You are living in a huge state park- and be ready to travel 3 hours by car to go to a wallmart, or big box store if its not in the town you are in. Same for some stores. Housing can be expensive ( as you are in a state park) and the rental units are not the greatest. Even they are expensive- especially for the region. The region, while it is gorgeous, is poverty stricken. Especially if the the tourists dont come. I would make sure you visit the area, and spend a week or 2 there ( and not doing the touristy things) and see for yourself if its for you. The winters get wicked cold ( -30 f) and snow can be on the ground from september- june. You may go days without seeing the sun- and if you are in the high peaks area- there can be times where you are disoriented. I love the area- but i cant live there. It is gorgeous and fantastic but not for everyone.

Also: the locals need some time to get to know you. Some people dont like outsiders, and while they will be nice to you- they will talk behind your back and try to get to know everything and every little secret that you have. just a heads up

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Upstate in general is way better than downstate. It's the truth. Vermont is really nice too. If they throw enough money at you it would be a solid option.

Northwood is right about the outsiders thing. While it isn't in the Adirondacks, Deposit comes to mind. You can hear the banjos starting when you drive through. Straight deliverance shit.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Justathought wrote:
ebl1014 wrote:Don't worry- I'm not interested in Utica! I've driven through once and that was enough. I meant, way, way east (Olympic Region, exit 30 off the northway). Thanks for all your help. I wasn't expecting anyone to know much about the region and am very appreciative!!

Lake Placid is a great town. If you could ever develop a nice solo practice, down the road, it would be idyllic.

That's the goal :mrgreen:

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:38 pm

OP Pm'd you

Return to “Choosing a Law School”