Oregon ($) v. Loyola Los Angeles ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ck23

Oregon ($) v. Loyola Los Angeles ($$)

Postby ck23 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Would love some opinions:

Oregon for $9,000 a year, LLS for $23,000 a year. I'm originally from LA, currently live in SF. Wonder which of the two would do better in SF job market, for some reason I feel like Oregon could carry farther than Loyola (of which I see to be so cal regional).

I didn't get into Hastings (LSAT 162/GPA 3.4), otherwise this wouldnt even be an issue. I have USF for $15,000 the first year but don't really think it would be worth it.

tittsburghfeelers

Re: Oregon ($) v. Loyola Los Angeles ($$)

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Disclaimer: Not an expert by any means, this post is simply regurgitating information that I've read on TLS.

I guess the disclaimer is almost as long as my actual post, but from what I've read, I seriously doubt you'd be able to find employment in SF that would pay off your student loans from either of these schools unless you have a good job lined up in SF that kicks in once you pass the Cali bar. There's a lot of competition in SF as it is and both of these schools would be pretty low on the pecking order in the SF market.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:There's a lot of competition in SF as it is and both of these schools would be pretty low on the pecking order in the SF market.

This cannot be said enough. The majority (read: over 50%) of kids from USF and SCU end up working part time 9 months after graduation. That is how bad it is in NorCal. Heck 20-30% of kids from UCD/UCH end up either working in a nonlegal job, working part time, or unemployed. NorCal is probably one of the worst legal markets to be aiming for.

Honestly if I were you I would take Loyola and aim for SoCal after graduation. Then after working for a few years, if you still want SF then start looking to switch jobs. As someone who has spent their entire life in the Bay Area and would desperately love to come back, I feel like the best advice to people aiming for the Bay Area is to honestly look elsewhere unless you can at least go to UCD/UCH on a large scholarship.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
tittsburghfeelers wrote:There's a lot of competition in SF as it is and both of these schools would be pretty low on the pecking order in the SF market.

This cannot be said enough. The majority (read: over 50%) of kids from USF and SCU end up working part time 9 months after graduation. That is how bad it is in NorCal. Heck 20-30% of kids from UCD/UCH end up either working in a nonlegal job, working part time, or unemployed. NorCal is probably one of the worst legal markets to be aiming for.

Honestly if I were you I would take Loyola and aim for SoCal after graduation. Then after working for a few years, if you still want SF then start looking to switch jobs. As someone who has spent their entire life in the Bay Area and would desperately love to come back, I feel like the best advice to people aiming for the Bay Area is to honestly look elsewhere unless you can at least go to UCD/UCH on a large scholarship.

How does Loyola LA fare in SoCal since it's presumably lower in SoCal's pecking order than a number of schools? Does Loyola fare better in SoCal than Oregon fares in Oregon?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:28 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:How does Loyola LA fare in SoCal since it's presumably lower in SoCal's pecking order than a number of schools? Does Loyola fare better in SoCal than Oregon fares in Oregon?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

I'd say yes and that largely has to do with the fact that SoCal is a much bigger market than Oregon. I also said Loyola because I feel that getting up to NorCal from SoCal (or even straight from Loyola) will be easier than from Oregon.

However, Oregon is the far less risky financial call due to the difference in cost of attendance for OP and the fact that Loyola's scholarship stipulations require top 1/3 (meaning OP is more likely to lose it than to keep it).

ck23

Postby ck23 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:03 pm

I agree with all of your points so far. I do currently work for a mid-sized firm in SF. I have a good rep and they said if there is a spot for me it would be as good as mine (no guarentees). They also have offices in Portland and LA (I know attorneys at both and have been encouraged to come work there too). However, I cannot bank on this, and I am trying to look at the situation as though I have no connections.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:08 pm

ck23 wrote:I agree with all of your points so far. I do currently work for a mid-sized firm in SF. I have a good rep and they said if there is a spot for me it would be as good as mine (no guarentees). They also have offices in Portland and LA (I know attorneys at both and have been encouraged to come work there too). However, I cannot bank on this, and I am trying to look at the situation as though I have no connections.

I would decide whether you would rather be in Oregon or LA if you happen to not get SF but would say that Oregon is a safer bet considering the cost of attendance is far cheaper.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Go to Oregon, Job Prospects are much better they pretty much only compete with L and C. Plus you might be able to net a job in Bend, Medford, or Ashland which isnt too far from SF
Last edited by dr123 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ck23

Postby ck23 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
ck23 wrote:I agree with all of your points so far. I do currently work for a mid-sized firm in SF. I have a good rep and they said if there is a spot for me it would be as good as mine (no guarentees). They also have offices in Portland and LA (I know attorneys at both and have been encouraged to come work there too). However, I cannot bank on this, and I am trying to look at the situation as though I have no connections.

I would decide whether you would rather be in Oregon or LA if you happen to not get SF but would say that Oregon is a safer bet considering the cost of attendance is far cheaper.

What about the "being in CA" factor? I am almost sure I don't want to practice in LA. Not positive, but almost sure....

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:13 pm

ck23 wrote:What about the "being in CA" factor? I am almost sure I don't want to practice in LA. Not positive, but almost sure....

Well you would have to do all the legwork to get an interview coming from Oregon and I bet a NorCal firm would look at Loyola as better than Oregon so Loyola is the far better choice for NorCal. However if you go to Loyola you are very likely to end up in LA so keep that in mind.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
tittsburghfeelers wrote:How does Loyola LA fare in SoCal since it's presumably lower in SoCal's pecking order than a number of schools? Does Loyola fare better in SoCal than Oregon fares in Oregon?

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681

I'd say yes and that largely has to do with the fact that SoCal is a much bigger market than Oregon. I also said Loyola because I feel that getting up to NorCal from SoCal (or even straight from Loyola) will be easier than from Oregon.

However, Oregon is the far less risky financial call due to the difference in cost of attendance for OP and the fact that Loyola's scholarship stipulations require top 1/3 (meaning OP is more likely to lose it than to keep it).

Dude Oregon and Loyola are almost identical in those Stats

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 pm

dr123 wrote:Dude Oregon and Loyola are almost identical in those Stats

Huh? The two big differences between them are:

1. Loyola has far more people reporting salary info and has higher salary ranges (20% made 70k or more versus Oregon having 5% making 60k or more).

2. Loyola has far more people working part time than Oregon, though once you lump all of the unemployed/employed part time/nonresponding/working in business/seeking additional degree people together they probably have a similar percentage for those who are really fucked (read: those in the the categories listed above).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”