GULC$$$ vs Vandy$$$ vs Cornell$$ vs Penn$$ vs NYU sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC$$$ vs Vandy$$$ vs Cornell$$ vs Penn$$ vs NYU sticker?

GULC (105K scholly)
35%
Vandy (77K scholly)
4%
Cornell (60K scholly)
4%
Penn (52K scholly)
47%
NYU (sticker)
11%

Total votes: 103

keg411

Re: GULC$$$ vs Vandy$$$ vs Cornell$$ vs Penn$$ vs NYU sticker?

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:01 pm

OP, I would take Penn in your situation. I think the difference in placement is more significant than some posters are making it out to be.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:08 am

dpk711 wrote:Isn't it true that Penn actually places better than NYU for biglaw? This seems true especially with the new NLJ250 stats.

Much better. In fact, I'm not entirely sure NYU can actually get anyone into biglaw at all anymore.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 am

I'm waitlisted at GULC and Vandy and havent heard from Cornell... so go to NYU or Penn

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:16 am

Well I'm getting ready to post this same thread. GULC made me the Vito Corleone offer today.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 am

ahduth wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Isn't it true that Penn actually places better than NYU for biglaw? This seems true especially with the new NLJ250 stats.

Much better. In fact, I'm not entirely sure NYU can actually get anyone into biglaw at all anymore.

Why do you think this is so? Doesn't NYU's being higher ranked mean that firms will look at its students more. Or maybe the fairly large NYU class size has something to do with this?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:32 am

dpk711 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Why do you think this is so? Doesn't NYU's being higher ranked mean that firms will look at its students more. Or maybe the fairly large NYU class size has something to do with this?

No I'm just trolling the shit out of you. There's not some enormous difference, but I think it's only on TLS that you'll hear that Penn places better than NYU. There's maybe some firms in Philly that would rather have people from Penn, but I kinda doubt it.

That being said, the difference is pretty marginal, and it sure ain't worth 52k.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 am

dpk711 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

NYU places better in NYC than Penn. Just based on anecdotal evidence (the composition of various summer classes at NY firms I know about), half of the summer classes are Columbia/NYU students while the other half is comprised of a couple students from each of the Midwest & remaining East Coast & Southern T-14.

I simply voted for Penn because I don't think the bump in NYC placement from NYU is worth the extra cost (also factoring COL into the equation).

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 am

bk1 wrote:GULC. You're sacrificing a small (but not insignificant) difference in biglaw chances for the ability to not be completely fucked over by debt payments if you end up missing biglaw.

Penn/Cornell/NYU debtloads are too large compared to GULC and Vandy has worse NYC/DC/LA placement compared to GULC (even though Vandy/GULC are comparable cost).

This. Seriously think about the amount of $$ you are saving...It is a huge difference.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 am

Let's stop tormenting OP considering he has already withdrawn from GULC.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:53 am

bk1 wrote:Let's stop tormenting OP considering he has already withdrawn from GULC.

Oh srs? nvm then...uh..go ..Penn :)

Edit: I wonder when DF will comment on $$ :) he generally has a sound, financially-concerned opinion.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:55 am

bk1 wrote:Let's stop tormenting OP considering he has already withdrawn from GULC.

8)

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 am

dpk711 wrote:

8)

OP, you need to attempt to negotiate with NYU. Worth a try - I mean...potentially <1 hour of writing can translate to thousands so --> Profit!

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 pm

jeremysen wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

8)

OP, you need to attempt to negotiate with NYU. Worth a try - I mean...potentially <1 hour of writing can translate to thousands so --> Profit!

Does NYU even consider itself a peer school with Penn?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 pm

dpk711 wrote:
jeremysen wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

8)

I can't see why they would academically, but 52k plus the COL difference, they might throw some money in.

src42

Postby src42 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 pm

DC is way more fun than Philly. Just sayin.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:16 pm

ahduth wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
jeremysen wrote:

I can't see why they would academically, but 52k plus the COL difference, they might throw some money in.

NYU has been pretty bad with Penn negotiation though. One person with the Wilson (half ride) got absolutely nothing from NYU even after telling them, but someone else who had the Toll (2/3) and they raised her scholarship 15k. So it looks like they're only budging with a substantial amount from Penn.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:27 pm

law_monkey wrote:
ahduth wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
jeremysen wrote:

NYU has been pretty bad with Penn negotiation though. One person with the Wilson (half ride) got absolutely nothing from NYU even after telling them, but someone else who had the Toll (2/3) and they raised her scholarship 15k. So it looks like they're only budging with a substantial amount from Penn.

Further, I'm broke as a joke and can't see how I can pay another $600 for another seat deposit. I guess I'll try but if NYU doesn't reply by May 2nd then I'll probably have to withdraw because of my financial situation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”