Bottom of the class

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 pm

dpk711 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Just don't end up in the bottom of the class. It's as simple as that.

Unfortunately, 50% of people fail to do this every year, despite warnings.

I guess that 50% graduate at the lower half of their class is a mathematical certainty.


well just because there is a median, doesn't mean 50% of the class falls below that median. You could have a large group of people with the median score, no?

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby DubPoker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:03 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
dpk711 wrote:I guess that 50% graduate at the lower half of their class is a mathematical certainty.


well just because there is a median, doesn't mean 50% of the class falls below that median. You could have a large group of people with the median score, no?

Image

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:05 pm

DubPoker wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
dpk711 wrote:I guess that 50% graduate at the lower half of their class is a mathematical certainty.


well just because there is a median, doesn't mean 50% of the class falls below that median. You could have a large group of people with the median score, no?

Image

TITCR.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Just don't end up in the bottom of the class. It's as simple as that.

Unfortunately, 50% of people fail to do this every year, despite warnings.

I guess that 50% graduate at the lower half of their class is a mathematical certainty.


well just because there is a median, doesn't mean 50% of the class falls below that median. You could have a large group of people with the median score, no?


It is very rare that two people have the exact same GPA down to 4 decimal places (even though it only shows three).

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It is very rare that two people have the exact same GPA down to 4 decimal places (even though it only shows three).


okay, this is the clarification I needed. what I meant by doesn't mean 50% falls below is like if you had several with the same you could jumble them up and different people would 'fall below'. but if it's rare that there is a cluster of people with the median score, then that makes sense.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:12 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:It is very rare that two people have the exact same GPA down to 4 decimal places (even though it only shows three).


okay, this is the clarification I needed. what I meant by doesn't mean 50% falls below is like if you had several with the same you could jumble them up and different people would 'fall below'. but if it's rare that there is a cluster of people with the median score, then that makes sense.

You needed clarification on the likelihood of a large number of people having the same exact gpa, specifically the median gpa of the class?

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:It is very rare that two people have the exact same GPA down to 4 decimal places (even though it only shows three).


okay, this is the clarification I needed. what I meant by doesn't mean 50% falls below is like if you had several with the same you could jumble them up and different people would 'fall below'. but if it's rare that there is a cluster of people with the median score, then that makes sense.

You needed clarification on the likelihood of a large number of people having the same exact median gpa?


well, I've had people tell me that professors will give a small number of As and a small number of Cs and the rest will be Bs. It didn't seem particularly hard for me to believe that several people could always wind up getting Bs. I was just thinking about 1L year.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:18 pm

sarahlawg wrote:well, I've had people tell me that professors will give a small number of As and a small number of Cs and the rest will be Bs. It didn't seem particularly hard for me to believe that several people could always wind up getting Bs. I was just thinking about 1L year.


Remember that these same people have 8 classes or so and there are differentiations between pluses and minuses. 1L isn't based off of a single grade.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby ahduth » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm going to be in this bottom 20-30% of the class group as well. What steps should I be taking to improve my job prospects?

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 am

On a related note: Does anyone have a chart with the top 50 law school's GPA curves or lack thereof?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:00 am

Metaread wrote:On a related note: Does anyone have a chart with the top 50 law school's GPA curves or lack thereof?


They don't all use bell curves? o.O

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 am

ahduth wrote:I'm going to be in this bottom 20-30% of the class group as well. What steps should I be taking to improve my job prospects?


You're joking, right? Didn't you start a thread asking about the definition of BigLaw?

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Different law schools have different curves, according to Wikipedia. I know UC Irvine curves to 3.3. Not as sure about others.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Bottom of the class

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:27 pm

ahduth wrote:I'm going to be in this bottom 20-30% of the class group as well. What steps should I be taking to improve my job prospects?

Image




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 2 guests