Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Talented URM
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Talented URM » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 pm

While this decision might seem easy to many, the horror stories regarding attorneys not being able to find work are scaring me a bit. Should I accept Drexel Law's full ride offer, or pay sticker at Maryland (applied late)? I want to think that I would be far more successful with a degree from Maryland, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Talented URM wrote:While this decision might seem easy to many, the horror stories regarding attorneys not being able to find work are scaring me a bit. Should I accept Drexel Law's full ride offer, or pay sticker at Maryland (applied late)? I want to think that I would be far more successful with a degree from Maryland, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?


Neither are especially great options, but at least a Drexel degree would leave you debt-free. Have you thought of retaking?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Career goals?

Where do you want to work?

Scholarship stipulations at Drexel?

Talented URM
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Talented URM » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:18 pm

bk1 wrote:Career goals?

Where do you want to work?

Scholarship stipulations at Drexel?


Drexel requires a 2.97 GPA to keep the $$$. But Drexel Law is pretty new, so I'm not sure I'd have the flexibility I would gain from Maryland...

I'm assuming Maryland would place well in NY, DC, Maryland, etc. right? I don't really have a preference on living...

Talented URM
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Talented URM » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Talented URM wrote:While this decision might seem easy to many, the horror stories regarding attorneys not being able to find work are scaring me a bit. Should I accept Drexel Law's full ride offer, or pay sticker at Maryland (applied late)? I want to think that I would be far more successful with a degree from Maryland, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?


Neither are especially great options, but at least a Drexel degree would leave you debt-free. Have you thought of retaking?

I'd love to be debt free in this economy...I did pretty well on the LSAT, so I'm pretty surprised i didn't get $$ from Maryland.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Talented URM wrote:Drexel requires a 2.97 GPA to keep the $$$. But Drexel Law is pretty new, so I'm not sure I'd have the flexibility I would gain from Maryland...

I'm assuming Maryland would place well in NY, DC, Maryland, etc. right? I don't really have a preference on living...


Maryland will really only place in Maryland. If you don't want to be in Maryland then don't go there.

If you want flexibility then both of these options are bad and you should retake/reapply.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Talented URM wrote:
bk1 wrote:Career goals?

Where do you want to work?

Scholarship stipulations at Drexel?


Drexel requires a 2.97 GPA to keep the $$$. But Drexel Law is pretty new, so I'm not sure I'd have the flexibility I would gain from Maryland...

I'm assuming Maryland would place well in NY, DC, Maryland, etc. right? I don't really have a preference on living...


Maryland places well in Maryland. Maybe DC when the economy is better.

phillaw
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby phillaw » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:22 pm

First off, Maryland is a great school. So this is a real tough decisions. What would your living costs be in Philly? Cost of living is a bit higher in Philly than Baltimore (but not too much more necessarily), you should think about that. What are the stipulations for keeping the full ride? A free legal education from Drexel would be fine, but if you lose that scholarship, you will hate yourself for being at the middle to bottom at Drexel Law when you could have been at the middle to bottom at Maryland. Where do you want to work? If Philly, go Drexel because while they are in a crowded market with huge networks of Nova/Temple/Rutgers (and now more Penn) grads, the Drexel connections would be better in Philly than Maryland's would. If Maryland, go Maryland because it is the top school in that market and I think you might be able to convert to in-state tuition after 1L. If you want to work anywhere else, can you take time off and re-apply? Maybe early next cycle Maryland will give you more money. If you can't re-apply, I say Drexel since it's free and even if the job market is hard, you got a free legal education.

Talented URM
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Talented URM » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 pm

phillaw wrote:First off, Maryland is a great school. So this is a real tough decisions. What would your living costs be in Philly? Cost of living is a bit higher in Philly than Baltimore (but not too much more necessarily), you should think about that. What are the stipulations for keeping the full ride? A free legal education from Drexel would be fine, but if you lose that scholarship, you will hate yourself for being at the middle to bottom at Drexel Law when you could have been at the middle to bottom at Maryland. Where do you want to work? If Philly, go Drexel because while they are in a crowded market with huge networks of Nova/Temple/Rutgers (and now more Penn) grads, the Drexel connections would be better in Philly than Maryland's would. If Maryland, go Maryland because it is the top school in that market and I think you might be able to convert to in-state tuition after 1L. If you want to work anywhere else, can you take time off and re-apply? Maybe early next cycle Maryland will give you more money. If you can't re-apply, I say Drexel since it's free and even if the job market is hard, you got a free legal education.


Thanks. This makes a ton of sense. Is Maryland really that regional? I was thinking being ranked top 40 per US News a few years back and #42 this year would make it moderately prestigious in bordering states. I'm not from the US, so pardon my regional ignorance. :)

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Talented URM wrote: Is Maryland really that regional?


Yes.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 pm

maryland is very regional. Drexel has a ton of competition for philly. I would go to maryland. however if you are debt averse- i would contenplate options to get scholarship offers. Since you claim you have no idea where you want to live- and schools outside the top 14 ( or even top 10) are regional-- i would take some time to figure out where you want to live, then apply there. You will be in the region for at least 3 years, and most likely more- so its really important to choose a school in an area where you will be comfortable living in for a while.

Come to think of it- i would do more research and figure out where you want to live after law school before going anywhere.

phillaw
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby phillaw » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Maryland is recognized as a very good law school, but its neighbors all have law schools which they prefer over Maryland. Philly/Wilmington have Penn/Temple/Nova/Rutgers. Pittsburgh has Pitt/Duquesne. DC has all T14s knocking on their door. The way to think about employment is: to get DC you need to be a very top student and lucky; to get any other region, you need to be a top student and show ties, which Maryland can only show ties to Maryland, so will help you no where else.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:44 pm

You shouldn't even be thinking about Maryland at sticker (I can't believe anyone is even advising that). Your options here are:

1. Go to Drexel for free

2. Retake and reapply

3. Reapply


Those are in no particular order. If your lsat really is "good," and your gpa is decent you really need to do yourself the favor of waiting and reapplying as soon as applications open up this fall. A urm with anything hovering around 3.0/160 should be getting large scholarships up and down the top 100 (excluding the t25).

Talented URM
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Talented URM » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:You shouldn't even be thinking about Maryland at sticker (I can't believe anyone is even advising that). Your options here are:

1. Go to Drexel for free

2. Retake and reapply

3. Reapply


Those are in no particular order. If your lsat really is "good," and your gpa is decent you really need to do yourself the favor of waiting and reapplying as soon as applications open up this fall. A urm with anything hovering around 3.0/160 should be getting large scholarships up and down the top 100 (excluding the t25).


Yes, I got higher than a 160....Waiting seems to be pretty advantageous as well.

Talented URM
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Maryland Law vs. Full Ride at Drexel Law

Postby Talented URM » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 pm

phillaw wrote:Maryland is recognized as a very good law school, but its neighbors all have law schools which they prefer over Maryland. Philly/Wilmington have Penn/Temple/Nova/Rutgers. Pittsburgh has Pitt/Duquesne. DC has all T14s knocking on their door. The way to think about employment is: to get DC you need to be a very top student and lucky; to get any other region, you need to be a top student and show ties, which Maryland can only show ties to Maryland, so will help you no where else.

Thanks for breaking it down that way. It seems to be a very good school, but this apparently doesn't translate into job opportunities outside of Maryland...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BruiseWillis, carlos_danger, zeglo and 2 guests