Syracuse or Suffolk?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
verbalizing

Syracuse or Suffolk?

Postby verbalizing » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:57 pm

These are my top two choices as of right now. I've decided to forgo the money that New England and Pace are offering in favor of these two. I visited Syracuse the other day and absolutely loved it, I was worried about making the adjustment from always living in a big city to the middle of nowhere, but I think for 3 years I can handle it. I do like Suffolk because it is in Boston, which is where I currently live for undergrad. Also, every ADA in Suffolk county pretty much graduated from Suffolk, and I think that finding a job in Boston might be easier due to the connections I already have in the city.

I'm pretty torn between the two, but leaning more towards Syracuse (sports, more well known than Suffolk in case I want to head back to CA).

FiveSermon

Re: Syracuse or Suffolk?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Trust me -- you won't be going back to CA from either of these schools unless you graduate top 5%.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:00 pm

What kind of money/stipulations?

verbalizing

Postby verbalizing » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Going back to CA isn't a big factor in the decision for me, just a small part. I would prefer to work in Boston though as opposed to upstate NY if those were the only 2 options.

verbalizing

Postby verbalizing » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:03 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:What kind of money/stipulations?

I'd be going to either of these at sticker, which I know that everyone on this board is absolutely against, but I thin going to these at sticker would be better than a 15k scholarship at New England or Pace. I don't have any debt from undergrad and I would need to take out loans just for the tuition costs.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 pm

verbalizing wrote:
mpj_3050 wrote:What kind of money/stipulations?

I'd be going to either of these at sticker, which I know that everyone on this board is absolutely against, but I thin going to these at sticker would be better than a 15k scholarship at New England or Pace. I don't have any debt from undergrad and I would need to take out loans just for the tuition costs.

The question I'd be asking is not whether those options are better than 15k at NE or Pace.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 pm

You mentioned ADA's, so if you're interested in criminal prosecution, money is no object. IBR will keep your payments manageable and after ten years the remaining debt will be waived.

verbalizing

Postby verbalizing » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:25 pm

I like Syracuse as a whole more than Suffolk but I'm not sure I can see myself enjoying the city of Syracuse itself more than Boston. And you know the snow kind of plays a role too.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Again, it comes down to geographical location like you mentioned. Syracuse will place well in prosecutor's offices in upstate New York, Suffolk will do the same in parts of Massachusetts. Which area do you like better? However, both markets are saturated with top tier law schools, so it won't be easy to break in. You'll need to place high in your class.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:15 pm

A lot of people are likely sick of my cuse bashing, but I feel it is my duty to warn people who are not from upstate NY how sad it is to live in places like Syracuse. HTH.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”