Big Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Re: Big Law

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 pm

AMLaw100 + V100 = Biglaw.

NLJ250 is probably the closest published list to this and not a bad definition, but it does include firms that aren't AMLaw100 or V100 which could be considered Midlaw (Brown Rudnick, foley hoag, Akerman Sentertift, Arent Fox, etc.).

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Can you expect to stay in biglaw longer in a secondary market than you would in NYC? All biglaw firms have the leveraged up and out model; but, I can't help thinking your associate position would be more secure in Cleveland or Chicago than NYC.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:42 pm

buckilaw wrote:Can you expect to stay in biglaw longer in a secondary market than you would in NYC? All biglaw firms have the leveraged up and out model; but, I can't help thinking your associate position would be more secure in Cleveland or Chicago than NYC.
The difference is you can go from NYC biglaw to secondary market biglaw, but you are going to have issues going from secondary market biglaw to anywhere but midlaw/gov/inhouse.

lilklolaka

New

Post by lilklolaka » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:24 am

the biglaw life - good and bad - can be found all over the place - there are openings all across the country (http://www.gobiglaw.com) - you really have to figure out where you are comfortable living. some cities have high salaries and cost of living is low.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:1) You idiots should stop using linear cost of living calculators. They are not accurate at higher levels of income, especially for somene living alone, and with significant debt. 40K in chicago might equal 75K. But 80K doesn't equal 150K.

No a person with a 160K big law salary doesn't have the same QOL than a partner in NYC (300K) has.

2) When people talk about big law they mean firms that pay a lot (depends on the market), and has a lot of associates (again relative to the market). A lot of people also lump in boutiques.
What is wrong with you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:53 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:1) You idiots should stop using linear cost of living calculators. They are not accurate at higher levels of income, especially for somene living alone, and with significant debt. 40K in chicago might equal 75K. But 80K doesn't equal 150K.

No a person with a 160K big law salary doesn't have the same QOL than a partner in NYC (300K) has.

2) When people talk about big law they mean firms that pay a lot (depends on the market), and has a lot of associates (again relative to the market). A lot of people also lump in boutiques.
What is wrong with you?
? wtf is wrong with what he wrote?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:43 pm

I thought biglaw = doing transactional work for $160,000 a year.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:59 pm

thecilent wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

What is wrong with you?
I was referring to the fact he constantly calls people idiots or some other derogatory name in almost all of his posts. He seems to all ways degrade people no matter what they ask or how they ask it. That answer would have been reasonable sans the name calling.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:00 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
thecilent wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

What is wrong with you?
I was referring to the fact he constantly calls people idiots or some other derogatory name in almost all of his posts. He seems to all ways degrade people no matter what they ask or how they ask it. That answer would have been reasonable sans the name calling.
Welcome to TLS!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
thecilent wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: What is wrong with you?
Welcome to TLS the internet!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote: Welcome to TLS the internet! life?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:09 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
seriously? I put money if he saw any of these people in real life he'd never say half the stuff he says. It seems the toughest people on the internet are the exact opposite in real life.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:10 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
seriously? I put money if he saw any of these people in real life he'd never say half the stuff he says. It seems the toughest people on the internet are the exact opposite in real life.
I was being facetious. :wink:

Even so, there is by no means a shortage of assholes in the real world.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:20 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Another internet tough guy accusation, I love these. And actually think df is the same irl.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”