. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crit_racer

Silver

Re: Choosing a law school made easy

Post by crit_racer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Predicting the effects of C&F issues on one's application is near impossible. Probably the most unpredictable component of an application, IMO.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm

crit_racer wrote:Predicting the effects of C&F issues on one's application is near impossible. Probably the most unpredictable component of an application, IMO.
Yeah I agree. Although if you really dug through all the LSN/TLS profiles and stats I think you could come up with at least a solid list of which schools weight it heavily against you, which schools moderately care, and which schools dont care.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:45 pm

According to this I made the wrong decision!!! :shock: Still very cool/helpful.
aliarrow wrote:My thoughts on prestige -

Say someone wants to work in government in Arkansas and they got into Yale and University of Arkansas.
For their career goals, location goals, costs University of Arkansas wins every time, but consciousness of Prestige does play some role. If even a little is given to prestige then Yale wins.
So what your saying is, Bill Clinton would have benefited from this in helping him decide where he went to law school?

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:51 pm

pjo wrote:According to this I made the wrong decision!!! :shock: Still very cool/helpful.
aliarrow wrote:My thoughts on prestige -

Say someone wants to work in government in Arkansas and they got into Yale and University of Arkansas.
For their career goals, location goals, costs University of Arkansas wins every time, but consciousness of Prestige does play some role. If even a little is given to prestige then Yale wins.
So what your saying is, Bill Clinton would have benefited from this in helping him decide where he went to law school?
If he gave prestige consideration

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 pm

This told me Columbia >>> Yale, even when I ranked Clerkships and Prestige highest
Movin' on up, CLS!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:16 pm

angua wrote:This told me Columbia >>> Yale, even when I ranked Clerkships and Prestige highest
Movin' on up, CLS!
This means one of two things: this counts as evidence in favor of CLS or this counts as evidence that this method is not useful in determining where to go to school. Do you really want to infer the former?

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 pm

adt231 wrote:
angua wrote:This told me Columbia >>> Yale, even when I ranked Clerkships and Prestige highest
Movin' on up, CLS!
This means one of two things: this counts as evidence in favor of CLS or this counts as evidence that this method is not useful in determining where to go to school. Do you really want to infer the former?
Option C: The difference between Yale and anything else is an anomaly and not nearly the equivalent of the difference between the other 99% of schools within several rankings of each other.

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:43 pm

adt231 wrote:
Movin' on up, CLS!
I think you need your sarcasm meter checked.

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:48 pm

aliarrow wrote:
adt231 wrote:
Movin' on up, CLS!
Option C: The difference between Yale and anything else is an anomaly and not nearly the equivalent of the difference between the other 99% of schools within several rankings of each other.
Good point; but, there are going to be other concerns like this that arise when using this tool which limits it quite a bit. You should make a list of exception clauses. For example:

Use this tool with much caution unless (i) you are considering Yale among your options (perhaps the same goes for HS as well); (ii) considering utilizing a LRAP; (iii) you are really quite sure that you do not want big law; (iv) have a very difficult time quantifying on a 1-10 scale how badly you want a certain area, a certain government position, etc; (v) you ONLY want to work for the government (since government includes both PD and Prosecutor work at ANY level - perhaps you REALLY only want one at a particular level of government); (vi) the scholarship money you're getting at one school is being front-loaded, thereby minimizing the interest you will incur; (vii) you have a substantial amount of UG debt or you are receiving a significant amount of parental support; (viii) you have money based on need that is not guaranteed for your 2nd and 3rd years; etc.

None of these make the tool useless, but many of them render it much less effective. Does this mean that it's not useful? Not at all. It is a nice tool that can help sort through a multitude of options, but IMO it would be a mistake to put too much stock into it.

Perhaps you'll keep refining it until one day it will be pretty encompasing; until then, I'm just going to have fun with it and not put too much stock in it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:53 pm

angua wrote:
adt231 wrote:
Movin' on up, CLS!
How is that sarcastic? You took a bit of evidence and inferred one of two possible options. I was curious as to why you did that. And then the OP pointed out that I made the mistake of ignoring a third possible (correct) option; yet, the question still stands as to why you made that inference.

Plus, anyone who refers to someone who is potentially acting in a sarcastic way as someone who needs their sarcasm "meter" checked is probably the one who needs their sarcasm muted.

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 pm

adt231 wrote:
angua wrote:
adt231 wrote:
Movin' on up, CLS!
How is that sarcastic? You took a bit of evidence and inferred one of two possible options. I was curious as to why you did that. And then the OP pointed out that I made the mistake of ignoring a third possible (correct) option; yet, the question still stands as to why you made that inference.

Plus, anyone who refers to someone who is potentially acting in a sarcastic way as someone who needs their sarcasm "meter" checked is probably the one who needs their sarcasm muted.
Yikes, simmer down. The only thing I was trying to say was that it was mildly amusing to me that the results were what they were.
My inference was nothing more than me making (a pretty poorly-received) joke.
I apologize for ever posting anything on the internet to displease you. I promise I'll never, ever do it again.

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:08 pm

angua wrote:Yikes, simmer down. The only thing I was trying to say was that it was mildly amusing to me that the results were what they were. My inference was nothing more than me making (a pretty poorly-received) joke. I apologize for ever posting anything on the internet to displease you. I promise I'll never, ever do it again.
You're right that it was poorly received- that was my fault. but this is a little extreme lol. You can keep posting displeasing things- I don't mind. You won't hear from me unless I think that they are irrational :lol:

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:12 pm

angua wrote:
adt231 wrote:
angua wrote:
adt231 wrote:This means one of two things: this counts as evidence in favor of CLS or this counts as evidence that this method is not useful in determining where to go to school. Do you really want to infer the former?

Yikes, simmer down. The only thing I was trying to say was that it was mildly amusing to me that the results were what they were.
My inference was nothing more than me making (a pretty poorly-received) joke.
I apologize for ever posting anything on the internet to displease you. I promise I'll never, ever do it again.
lololol wow, this conversation.............................. :shock: FWIW angua, the joke was pretty obvious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:07 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: lololol wow, this conversation.............................. :shock: FWIW angua, the joke was pretty obvious.
This.

And if anyone who gets into Yale needs a disclaimer that they shouldn't listen to a simple algorithm and go to Columbia over Yale shouldn't be going to Yale anyway. So the problem fixes itself.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Told me to go to a peer school.

lameslice57

New

Re: .

Post by lameslice57 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:15 pm

bump, can someone link me to the new thread?

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:51 am

where'd it go?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am

I have been looking for this too.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 am

bump

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:48 am

yeah i'd like to know where this went. it sounded pretty cool!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”