Where should I go?! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?!

Vandy
69%
USC
5%
Fordham
26%

Total votes: 65

fingersxd

Silver

Where should I go?!

Post by fingersxd » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:50 am

I've narrowed it down to Vandy (130k COA), USC (140k COA) and Fordham (145k COA). I'm looking for Big Law, with a strong preference for the NY market.

I'm still trying to negotiate aid, but don't expect that to change much. As you can see, Fordham is the most expensive, but also does VERY well (comparatively speaking) placing in NY Big Law. Although I think I would prefer one of the other 2, I'm not sure how much it would hurt my future job potential.

Thoughts? What should I do??

HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Where should I go?!

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:19 pm

fingersxd wrote:I've narrowed it down to Vandy (130k COA), USC (140k COA) and Fordham (145k COA). I'm looking for Big Law, with a strong preference for the NY market.

I'm still trying to negotiate aid, but don't expect that to change much. As you can see, Fordham is the most expensive, but also does VERY well (comparatively speaking) placing in NY Big Law. Although I think I would prefer one of the other 2, I'm not sure how much it would hurt my future job potential.

Thoughts? What should I do??
Vandy by a long shot. Better stock up on the frattire.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Vanderbilt, then Fordham considering COA & your desire to work in NYC biglaw. Although Fordham part-time might offer some worthwhile part-time work opportunities.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:51 pm

How hard would it be to get big law in NY coming from LA? Would I have to back-door it a bit by working in a firm's LA office and then asking for a transfer to NY? And should my school choice change if I am ok with practicing in LA (or west coast generally) before coming back to NY?

If truth be told, I'd love to get away from NY for a few years and I think location-wise I would prefer LA to Nashville (I'm also considering the employment prospects of a significant other -- she would prefer LA>NY>Nashville)

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:16 pm

USC is very limited to LA. Vandy places better in NYC than fordham.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

handlesthetruth

Bronze

Post by handlesthetruth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:19 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Vandy places better in NYC than fordham.
This true? Not doubting just surprised..

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:28 pm

handlesthetruth wrote:
I'm not sure you can make a categorical statement either way, but the Vandy people who want NY traditionally have been doing pretty well.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

rad law wrote:
handlesthetruth wrote:
I'm not sure you can make a categorical statement either way, but the Vandy people who want NY traditionally have been doing pretty well.
Not trolling but where do Vandy grads don't do well? Apparently they do well for NYC, they do great for the south, they do great in CA if they have ties. Sounds like Vandy outperforms or matches its peers for almost every market except DC. Too good to be true?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Knock out USC - I don't think its slam-dunk Vand, but I would feel much more comfortable there given that your NYC competition will be less in your own student body. For Fordham, NYC is the ONLY game in town.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:07 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
rad law wrote:
handlesthetruth wrote:
Not trolling but where do Vandy grads don't do well? Apparently they do well for NYC, they do great for the south, they do great in CA if they have ties. Sounds like Vandy outperforms or matches its peers for almost every market except DC. Too good to be true?
I don't think it's too good to be true. I mean, without ties to certain secondary markets, Vandy it itself isn't gonna magically open doors for you, but Vandy people see to be successfully able to get jobs around the country with a Vandy degree in markets where they have ties. I don't think Vanderbilt is unique in this regard when compared to some more prestigious schools, but it seems a lot of people from more prestigious schools are gunning for certain major markets (ex. GULC - DC, Cornell - NY, etc.), while people from Vanderbilt get jobs in those markets but also tend to spread out .

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm

USC is not a good choice in this situation. Other than the "trojan" network you're usually going to be behind t14 kids with ties even in southern california. If it takes a back seat in its home market I kinda doubt it will do well in NYC.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Also I'd add that if you want NY, it's nice to be one of the few people from Vandy who want to go to New York vs. one of the 100% of your Fordham classmates who want NY.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Vandy wins by a mile here. It offers the most national portability, costs the least, and places well (if not the best) in your target market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Let me throw another wrench in the works if you don't mind. I just received a revised offer from BC that brings my expected COA to somewhere around 115k. I've crossed out USC, but should BC now be a serious contender?

On a related note, my interest in USC was largely due to a significant other's preference for LA>NY>Nashville (hence my reluctance to commit to Vandy despite it probably being my best choice). She'll make a ton more $ in NY than Nashville so that does allow me to take on more debt (greater earnings will outweigh the costs). Obviously this is a very personal decision, but knowing this, do those who previously favored Vandy still think that is the best option?

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Any thoughts given the addition of a strong offer from BC? Or is Vandy still teh way to go?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:49 pm

I think that Vandy is probably still 20K better than BC unless you wanted something you could use that incredible LRAP for. I think the only reason to not choose Vandy would be if Fordham upped its offer significantly or your S/O's salarary could make up more than the COL difference, the scholarship difference, and then some.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 pm

fingersxd wrote:Any thoughts given the addition of a strong offer from BC? Or is Vandy still teh way to go?
Would you be willing to live in Boston if you can't get to NYC? If so, BC could be a good choice, especially if you and/or your SO would prefer Boston to Nashville or Boston offers your SO significantly better job prospects.

As to your previous post, I'm assuming that your SO would be making enough in NYC to offset the increased COL compared to Nashville? If not, I'm not sure how you'd be getting ahead. I'm sure she could find a job doing something in Nashville (or Boston FTM) and you'd still graduate with less debt.

Personally, I'd rather be one of a few in my class gunning for NYC than one of many, but if you really want to be in NY during school, Fordham with <100k in debt wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”