Committing but Staying on other Waitlists?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
halito

Committing but Staying on other Waitlists?

Postby halito » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:31 pm

The law school I am considering attending if I do not get off of a waitlist requires a commitment by June 1st, and also says that I must withdraw from all of my other waitlists. I'm currently on the waitlist for my top choice school and wanted to ride it out. Can they actually tell if you are riding out the waitlist at another school? I would hate to take myself off of my first choice's waitlist, but I don't want to loose my spot at my backup either...... advice?

Re: Committing but Staying on other Waitlists?

Postby 2807 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Interested in this too 8)

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:55 pm

halito wrote:The law school I am considering attending if I do not get off of a waitlist requires a commitment by June 1st, and also says that I must withdraw from all of my other waitlists. I'm currently on the waitlist for my top choice school and wanted to ride it out. Can they actually tell if you are riding out the waitlist at another school? I would hate to take myself off of my first choice's waitlist, but I don't want to loose my spot at my backup either...... advice?

I think a better question is: if you sign the paper that says you will attend and have withdrawn from other waitlists, is that legally binding? Meaning if you get off another waitlist it may be that you cannot attend no matter what because you signed a binding comittment somewhere else.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:01 pm

I would think it is binding from what you have said.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:11 pm

halito wrote:The law school I am considering attending if I do not get off of a waitlist requires a commitment by June 1st, and also says that I must withdraw from all of my other waitlists. I'm currently on the waitlist for my top choice school and wanted to ride it out. Can they actually tell if you are riding out the waitlist at another school? I would hate to take myself off of my first choice's waitlist, but I don't want to loose my spot at my backup either...... advice?

Sounds like you would be committed then. So I would hope you get off the WL by June 1st, yes?

zonto

Postby zonto » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Would this apply to this scenario even though the article itself is about scholarships?

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/default.aspx

WaitlistedSadPanda

Postby WaitlistedSadPanda » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:20 pm

zonto wrote:Would this apply to this scenario even though the article itself is about scholarships?

I'm going to go with yes, it actually does apply to this situation.

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. (Emphasis added.)

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:08 am

zonto wrote:Would this apply to this scenario even though the article itself is about scholarships?

Hmmm... interesting. Well, that changes my response to a "ride the waitlist, eff the backup school" from my previous, which I retract.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”