Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
john567
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby john567 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 pm

I got into Bloomington with a full ride and Michigan with $15k per year. The nice thing about Bloomington is that I can get a joint degree with their MPA and I applied to that and also already have a full ride there too. Michigan has joint degree possibilities but I don't know if they would be free like Indiana's. I know Michigan is T14, but I like how I'll graduate Indiana with no debt and be able to do whatever I want. Michigan involves $100,000 in extra loans but by going there, I'm not closing any doors. Thoughts?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:43 pm

If you want to work in Indiana, IUB by far.

Any other scenario, Michigan.

Note: Do you not have any other options than IUB outside the T14?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If you want to work in Indiana, IUB by far.

Any other scenario, Michigan.

Note: Do you not have any other options than IUB outside the T14?


Even for Indiana, Michigan is probably worth the extra cost. IUB's rank is extremely inconsistent with its placement rates.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby ahduth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:46 pm

john567 wrote:I know Michigan is T14, but I like how I'll graduate Indiana with no debt and be able to do whatever I want. Michigan involves $100,000 in extra loans but by going there, I'm not closing any doors. Thoughts?


I think these statements are at odds with one another. I don't really you think you can do whatever you want from Bloomington. You'll be free to say, screw law, I'd like to do something else. But from a legal perspective it doesn't give you the options Michigan does.

User avatar
handlesthetruth
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby handlesthetruth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:54 pm

heavenwood wrote: IUB's rank is extremely inconsistent with its placement rates.


False. Your argument requires the assumption that placement equals placement into nlj 250 firms (which true iub doesn't place very many into). however if pay is the measure, and it should be, there are a number of indianapolis firms that start between 80 and 100k (very close to the market rate for NLJ firms in this very low cost area) that are not in the nlj 250. Given that a large number of IUB graduates self select here, I think this is from where the discrepancy arises.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:56 pm

handlesthetruth wrote:
heavenwood wrote: IUB's rank is extremely inconsistent with its placement rates.


False. Your argument requires the assumption that placement equals placement into nlj 250 firms (which true iub doesn't place very many into). however if pay is the measure, and it should be, there are a number of indianapolis firms that start between 80 and 100k (very close to the market rate for NLJ firms in this very low cost area) that are not in the nlj 250. Given that a large number of IUB graduates self select here, I think this is from where the discrepancy arises.


Show me the employment data, then.

john567
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby john567 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Outside the T14, no other options. I like that I can say screw law if I go to IUB. I'll have about $100,000 less debt. I agree that I'll have less options from a legal perspective if I go to IUB. But, I'm not 100% sure I want to practice law and I really like that I'll get an MPA from a top ranked public affairs program and the #1 program in environmental policy and management, a passion of mine. I just don't like that I'd be closing some doors if I went to IUB. But, that debt would just be a killer.

john567
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby john567 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Oh and right now, I'm thinking D.C. or midwest for where I want to end up. But almost certainly not in Indiana.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:09 pm

handlesthetruth wrote:
heavenwood wrote: IUB's rank is extremely inconsistent with its placement rates.


False. Your argument requires the assumption that placement equals placement into nlj 250 firms (which true iub doesn't place very many into). however if pay is the measure, and it should be, there are a number of indianapolis firms that start between 80 and 100k (very close to the market rate for NLJ firms in this very low cost area) that are not in the nlj 250. Given that a large number of IUB graduates self select here, I think this is from where the discrepancy arises.


I think it goes without saying that most T20-T50 public schools underperform compared to their private school peers in the NLJ 250 (Alabama, Florida, IUB, North Carolina, etc.).

However, due to IUI's existence in Indianapolis (and Notre Dame's presence in state), I am even less likely to recommend IUB in relation to it's other T20-T50 peers.

john567 wrote:Outside the T14, no other options. I like that I can say screw law if I go to IUB. I'll have about $100,000 less debt. I agree that I'll have less options from a legal perspective if I go to IUB. But, I'm not 100% sure I want to practice law and I really like that I'll get an MPA from a top ranked public affairs program and the #1 program in environmental policy and management, a passion of mine. I just don't like that I'd be closing some doors if I went to IUB. But, that debt would just be a killer.


While I understand how you feel, IUB's law school is in a bad position (as explained above). I would just go to their MPA program or go to Michigan law instead of doing the MPA/JD at IUB.

john567 wrote:Oh and right now, I'm thinking D.C. or midwest for where I want to end up. But almost certainly not in Indiana.


The nail in the coffin. Enjoy U Mich - the law school that has never denied a male tenure until an openly homosexual male went up for tenure.

User avatar
handlesthetruth
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby handlesthetruth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Lots of anecdotal evidence (know iub 6 associates I've questioned somewhat thoroughly) Lived in Indianapolis past two summers. I understand if u wanna get all non representative sample on me but think about this:

Almost half the school is from Indiana (40% I think can't remember)
It's a strongish regional school and Indianapolis is the best city and market in its state
Look up 2009 indy firms associate starting pay data (I'm traveling and on phone.. pain to look up and paste links from it)

Either way OP, I'd only go IU if u like Indy honestly

User avatar
handlesthetruth
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby handlesthetruth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:15 pm

..didn't read above post before I posted my last 1..

go to michigan

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:16 pm

handlesthetruth wrote:Lots of anecdotal evidence (know iub 6 associates I've questioned somewhat thoroughly) Lived in Indianapolis past two summers. I understand if u wanna get all non representative sample on me but think about this:

Almost half the school is from Indiana (40% I think can't remember)
It's a strongish regional school and Indianapolis is the best city and market in its state
Look up 2009 indy firms associate starting pay data (I'm traveling and on phone.. pain to look up and paste links from it)

Either way OP, I'd only go IU if u like Indy honestly


I believe that there are a lot of respectable mid-sized law firms in Indianapolis, but I also find it hard to believe that a secondary market like Indianapolis has a lot of such jobs to offer in this economy.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby thexfactor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:43 pm

michshitgan and it s not even close.

IU biglaw 15% + some clerkships
Umich biglaw 40% + clerkships.

25% more chance at a high paying job. Also the quality of biglaw that comes to umich is a lot better. It gives you access to firms all around the country. With a Mich degree, you can always go to Indiana without any problems. Here in Mich, Umich students are given a lot more leeway and lawyers in Michigan consistently think Umich is "3rd" behind harvard and yale. Going to indiana will essentially cut you off from anywhere other than the midwaste. ITE they will place mostly in indiana.

1 good degree is better than getting 2 ok degrees.
A JD from umich is a lot better than MPA and JD from IU at least in terms of legal hiring. More isnt always better.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:11 pm

I think if you're that into the MPA you should just do that for free and if you decide that a JD is still necessary to your chosen path, Michigan will still be there, maybe with more money. The Maurer fund isn't going anywhere for a while, your 120K scholarship is probably pretty safe. I think that if you don't know that you want to be a lawyer, you should wait to study law.

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby rose711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:28 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I think if you're that into the MPA you should just do that for free and if you decide that a JD is still necessary to your chosen path, Michigan will still be there, maybe with more money. The Maurer fund isn't going anywhere for a while, your 120K scholarship is probably pretty safe. I think that if you don't know that you want to be a lawyer, you should wait to study law.


TITCR


Don't take on debt for law unless you are committed.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Indian Bloomington (full ride) vs. Michigan (15k per year)

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:10 am

rose711 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I think if you're that into the MPA you should just do that for free and if you decide that a JD is still necessary to your chosen path, Michigan will still be there, maybe with more money. The Maurer fund isn't going anywhere for a while, your 120K scholarship is probably pretty safe. I think that if you don't know that you want to be a lawyer, you should wait to study law.


TITCR


Don't take on debt for law unless you are committed.


I also agree with this. You may find the type of work you really want to do with just the MPA. If you really want to be a lawyer though, I think Michigan is the right choice.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, GeneralLawyer, Google Adsense [Bot], jbagelboy and 7 guests