BC v. GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

Boston College: (COA $105,000)
67%
GULC: (COA $210,000)
33%

Total votes: 91

marmot8

BC v. GULC

Postby marmot8 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:23 am

Hello everyone, looking for some advice. Thank you in advance for voting and for comments.

Ultimately, it's down to these two because they are my favorite, so it is that much harder. I wonder if there is a big enough advantage LONG TERM to attending Georgetown. I know that some will point to the most recent NJL 250 stats and say that BC is only 4% or so behind GULC in BigLaw placement, but if I want to keep my options open down the road, where do I go? I am aware that to do things like clerk or get a prestigious government job you need to do incredibly well wherever you go, but I don't want to sell myself short and would like to at least put myself in a position to succeed. I don't want to close doors before my career even begins. Goal is to go into BigLaw in NYC, at least to start, but as I said I like having options. Thanks!
Last edited by marmot8 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Re: BC v. GULC

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:26 am

Is GULC really worth 100k for only a slight increase in your chance to get biglaw? Are you going to regret taking on that debt if you fall to the bottom half of the class?

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Is GULC really worth 100k for only a slight increase in your chance to get biglaw? Are you going to regret taking on that debt if you fall to the bottom half of the class?

It's more than a slight increase in NYC biglaw chances. BC mostly places in Boston biglaw.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:25 pm

This seems like one of the most clear choices to me. GULC isn't worth sticker to begin with and certainly not when compared to a solid T30 for over 100k less. Absolutely go the cheaper route here. Don't play up the differences too much. Look at every employment metric in the past 10 years aside from federal gov jobs and you will constantly see BC far outplacing its rank. Def worth saving the 100K and going to BC.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Tough call. I'd recommend that you visit both schools before you make up your mind...this one might come down to personal preference.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Tough call. I don't think there is a clear winner either way.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:18 pm

After hearing about 40 year old Georgetown Law graduates who are still paying off student debt, Georgetown @ sticker just seemed like a bad option to me, especially with significant schollies in the T30.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:22 pm

After hearing about 40 year old Georgetown Law graduates who are still paying off student debt

Obama was paying off HLS debt at 40. So what?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Aside from saying that he would like to start in NYC, OP sounds like he is just trying to keep his options open, and doesn't know exactly what he wants. You don't take on a mountain of debt to "keep your options open" or "put yourself in a position to succeed". You take out 200K in debt because you have a specific and concrete goal, and taking on that debt is the ONLY way to reach that goal. I'm a bit baffled how, given the info that OP provided, people can in good conscience recommend that he take on an additional 100K in debt.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:52 pm

dakatz wrote:Aside from saying that he would like to start in NYC, OP sounds like he is just trying to keep his options open, and doesn't know exactly what he wants. You don't take on a mountain of debt to "keep your options open" or "put yourself in a position to succeed". You take out 200K in debt because you have a specific and concrete goal, and taking on that debt is the ONLY way to reach that goal. I'm a bit baffled how, given the info that OP provided, people can in good conscience recommend that he take on an additional 100K in debt.

GULC's options might be worth it. It's LRAP is much better than BC also.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:57 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
dakatz wrote:Aside from saying that he would like to start in NYC, OP sounds like he is just trying to keep his options open, and doesn't know exactly what he wants. You don't take on a mountain of debt to "keep your options open" or "put yourself in a position to succeed". You take out 200K in debt because you have a specific and concrete goal, and taking on that debt is the ONLY way to reach that goal. I'm a bit baffled how, given the info that OP provided, people can in good conscience recommend that he take on an additional 100K in debt.

And if OP said "I'm def interested in public interest work and its my goal to go into that area" then I would say that the LRAP of GULC may very well justify the additional 100K in cost. But my point is that, regardless of whatever factor people can think of to justify paying the extra $$, none of them apply to someone who is confused/open-ended and has expressed no particular desire to take advantage of that option (I don't mean this in a bad way, OP. Many people don't go into law school knowing exactly what they want to do yet). The fact that there is a chance that he could go into PI work doesn't justify it. You don't pay 100K for an option that you might take advantage of. You pay 100K for something you damn well KNOW you will be taking advantage of.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 pm

dakatz wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

And if OP said "I'm def interested in public interest work and its my goal to go into that area" then I would say that the LRAP of GULC may very well justify the additional 100K in cost. But my point is that, regardless of whatever factor people can think of to justify paying the extra $$, none of them apply to someone who is confused/open-ended and has expressed no particular desire to take advantage of that option (I don't mean this in a bad way, OP. Many people don't go into law school knowing exactly what they want to do yet). The fact that there is a chance that he could go into PI work doesn't justify it. You don't pay 100K for an option that you might take advantage of. You pay 100K for something you damn well KNOW you will be taking advantage of.

Then OP shouldn't be going to law school at all since he will still be paying near 100k for something he isn't sure of.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:22 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
dakatz wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Then OP shouldn't be going to law school at all since he will still be paying near 100k for something he isn't sure of.

One could validly argue that and I wouldn't disagree. But perhaps my point was unclear: Its about the marginal cost. Of course law school costs money, and I'm not questioning whether or not he actually wants to be a lawyer. In fact, I'm assuming that is the only sure thing about OP's post, or else you would be completely right that he shouldn't even be spending 100K. And viewing 100K as some sort of baseline figure, I'm just focusing on what justifies the additional 100K of marginal expense on top. Unless there is a specific reason for spending 100K MORE, then I don't see why people would recommend it.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 pm

nealric wrote:
After hearing about 40 year old Georgetown Law graduates who are still paying off student debt

Obama was paying off HLS debt at 40. So what?

Obama also never has to worry about money ever again. For the typical law student, however, money is a concern. A big concern. Not having to worry about huge debt looming over you upon graduation is great. Plain and simple. I'm not saying that going to Georgetown at sticker is a bad option... for some people it may be a good one. But if you don't want to work big law, and if you're not 100% committed to public interest, taking scholarship money to go elsewhere may not be a bad idea.

Btw, I did not mean that as a knock on Georgetown. I know people who graduate from all kinds of great law schools that have debt well into their 20s and 30s (e.g. NYU)... even after working big law for a couple of years.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Thank you all for the responses. To FiveSermons point, I know I want to be a lawyer, and I know why, but I am asking opinions based upon the more vague aspect of long term benefits of a GULC degree over a BC degree. Ive worked at two different firms (one biglaw and one small) and know what I'm getting into/some of the options available with the degree. Everyone from the bigfirm says go GULC while the smaller firm says take the money and run.

Quite honestly I think a BC degree with significantly less debt is a great option for now when I'm in my 20s, but I wonder if long term I'll regret passing up GULC if it hinders my chances towards more prestigious positions/becoming a partner at a big firm in NYC etc.

I don't plan to go into PI right out of school so the LRAP is not going to be a deciding factor, if that helps at all.

My seeking advice comes down to the benefit of a GULC degree in the long run. Thanks all!
Last edited by marmot8 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Long term? Many current lawyers on this board would argue that the prestige of your school matters more in the short term. Once you have your foot in big law, less people care about what school you went to. Stuff like billing hours is what matters.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:15 pm

The difference between GULC and BC is more than 4% of the class in most years. 2010 was a bit of an anomaly. Think of it as more like 6% to 10% on average.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 pm

bender18 wrote:Long term? Many current lawyers on this board would argue that the prestige of your school matters more in the short term. Once you have your foot in big law, less people care about what school you went to. Stuff like billing hours is what matters.

I would agree with this. Once you have your foot in the door- how you perform and your reputation is more important than where you went to school.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Attorney wrote:The difference between GULC and BC is more than 4% of the class in most years. 2010 was a bit of an anomaly. Think of it as more like 6% to 10% on average.

being a BC person, then, would you mind sharing how you voted?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:24 pm

marmot8 wrote:
Attorney wrote:The difference between GULC and BC is more than 4% of the class in most years. 2010 was a bit of an anomaly. Think of it as more like 6% to 10% on average.

being a BC person, then, would you mind sharing how you voted?

It's more like 15%. GULC places a lot more into article 3 clerkships and good gov/PI jobs.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 am

So outside of that initial hire, people don't really view there to be a huge benefit of the degree down the road? I feel like I'd be happy at BC (and in Boston for that matter). I should mention that if I struck out at OCI for NYC, I'd be happy trying to stay in Boston at least for a bit then transferring to NYC down the road. I definitely want to be in NYC long term.

Sorry to write again this just is a huge decision and I don't want to regret letting the chance at GULC go. Thanks for all the comments.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 am

marmot8 wrote:So outside of that initial hire, people don't really view there to be a huge benefit of the degree down the road? I feel like I'd be happy at BC (and in Boston for that matter). I should mention that if I struck out at OCI for NYC, I'd be happy trying to stay in Boston at least for a bit then transferring to NYC down the road. I definitely want to be in NYC long term.

Sorry to write again this just is a huge decision and I don't want to regret letting the chance at GULC go. Thanks for all the comments.

sounds like you made up your mind. Boston it is!

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:29 am

Getting close, but have to say still haven't decided. Im trying to look past this years NLJ250 and am realizing GULC might indeed have a significant advantage. This is driving me crazy.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:47 am

BC and gun for boston biglaw. Market comp and cheaper COL.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 am

Any of those who voted for GULC care to chime in? It would be helpful.
Last edited by marmot8 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”