WUSTL/Illinois/Pitt versus T-14 gamble

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What School based on Cost of Tuition?

Pitt 10,000/yr
7%
WUSTL 15,000/yr
24%
Illinois 10,000/yr
21%
Defer, retake, and try for ED to UVA/Michigan/NU 45,000/yr
48%

Total votes: 29

TheSteelKid

WUSTL/Illinois/Pitt versus T-14 gamble

Postby TheSteelKid » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 pm

So I'm from Pittsburgh and am not sure exactly what I want to do with my law degree but I would like to have some national portability. Given that I'm not committed to doing BigLaw long term but I would like to give myself a chance and given the fact that I would like a good shot at working in a major market (Chicago, NYC, LA, DC), what do you guys think of these choices? I'm being strongly encouraged by my parents to go to WUSTL at 15k/year but have yet to visit and am not sure.

I have a 3.25 and a 170 on the December LSAT...Does anyone really think its worth it to defer and reapply ED to a UVA/NU/Michigan type school? If I defer I would retake in June. Any useful thoughts on this are more than welcome!
Last edited by TheSteelKid on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Re: WUSTL/Illinois/Pitt versus T-14 gamble

Postby OGR3 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:43 pm

As someone at Pitt, I'd strongly encourage you to take a year off and ED to T14 next year.

It'll always be possible for you to return to Pittsburgh but if you're from Pittsburgh and go to Pitt, it'll be extremely hard for you to go to any of those major markets.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 pm

COA for MVN is above 65K each. More like 70k.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:49 am

Is this COA or cost of tuition?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:COA for MVN is above 65K each. More like 70k.

It'll probably be closer to $85K /year (or more) by the time OP is his last year of law school, assuming tuition continues to rise at three times the rate of inflation (i.e. around 10% /year increases) as it has for quite a while now.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:19 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:COA for MVN is above 65K each. More like 70k.

It'll probably be closer to $85K /year (or more) by the time OP is his last year of law school, assuming tuition continues to rise at three times the rate of inflation (i.e. around 10% /year increases) as it has for quite a while now.

Yea at NW it's going up 4K, but only 2K is tuition. The other 2K is cost of living.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:50 am

Sorry guys I meant this to be based on cost of tuition! My biggest worry about taking about 45k+ debt in tuition per year at a T14 is that if you decide you don't want to do BigLaw, after even 3 or 4 years, it can become really tough to pay off that debt! And considering I'm not someone who is dead set on BigLaw....this makes WUSTL/Illinois more attractive.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:30 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:Sorry guys I meant this to be based on cost of tuition! My biggest worry about taking about 45k+ debt in tuition per year at a T14 is that if you decide you don't want to do BigLaw, after even 3 or 4 years, it can become really tough to pay off that debt! And considering I'm not someone who is dead set on BigLaw....this makes WUSTL/Illinois more attractive.

I'd say go to Illinois. I think WUSTL/Illinois are peers but I feel that there may be a slight edge to Illinois to getting a small Chicago firm.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm visiting both campuses next week so we'll see after I make my visits. I'm going to try to get as good a feel as I can for employment prospects from both schools, so we'll see.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:08 pm

This is one option:

sign up for a retake. pay deposit at one school. If your score is higher than 170, apply next year.

I would just reapply next year regardless.

MyManKanye

Postby MyManKanye » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm in a similar situation and an undergrad at Illinois. I've seen both campuses, and the law campus at least is much nicer at WUSTL. Champaign is very much a college town with little around besides bars and football/basketball. WUSTL has St Louis, which has a bit more diversity.

Illinois is slightly cheaper to live, and COL stays pretty flat here. Illinois also has that guarantee to raise scholarships by the same amount as tuition. I don't know much personally about WUSTL employments, but the two students I know at Illinois who graduated were both in top 25% and both were initially put on delayed start of six months to a year at IP boutique firms in Chicago. If you want Chicago its available from Illinois, but I don't know if its more available than from WUSTL.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:44 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:Sorry guys I meant this to be based on cost of tuition! My biggest worry about taking about 45k+ debt in tuition per year at a T14 is that if you decide you don't want to do BigLaw, after even 3 or 4 years, it can become really tough to pay off that debt! And considering I'm not someone who is dead set on BigLaw....this makes WUSTL/Illinois more attractive.

With that in mind, I'd say go to Illinois. With cost of living (in Champaign), books, health insurance, etc you'll probably leave UIUC with around $75k in debt. That's not terrible for UIUC. I think UIUC is a better decision than WUSTL if you are interested in Chicago (Chicago is a really tight market right now, but it's not a ton better elsewhere either). Going to a t14 at sticker pretty much means you either have to get biglaw or work in qualifying PI. If you don't want biglaw, you'll have more options open to you leaving with low amounts of debt (and $75k for law school nowadays is peanuts). Also, if you really kick ass at UIUC, you'll have a shot at biglaw (but it's less of a gamble if you don't get it with only $75k of debt). That's my 2 cents.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:00 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:

With that in mind, I'd say go to Illinois. With cost of living (in Champaign), books, health insurance, etc you'll probably leave UIUC with around $75k in debt. That's not terrible for UIUC. I think UIUC is a better decision than WUSTL if you are interested in Chicago (Chicago is a really tight market right now, but it's not a ton better elsewhere either). Going to a t14 at sticker pretty much means you either have to get biglaw or work in qualifying PI. If you don't want biglaw, you'll have more options open to you leaving with low amounts of debt (and $75k for law school nowadays is peanuts). Also, if you really kick ass at UIUC, you'll have a shot at biglaw (but it's less of a gamble if you don't get it with only $75k of debt). That's my 2 cents.

Yes I hear you on that. Illinois is the safe play in terms of up front costs. I think I should get a pretty good vibe of what the campus is like and what it would be like living there when I go up next week. I'm going to be in St. Louis for 24 hours but U Illinois only for like 5 or 6, then I'm gonna go check out Chicago. Thanks for the help and the input..Going to Mich/UVA/NW sounds awesome but 45 k in debt/year does not sound that great. Either way I'll have to work hard to get where I want to go but the decision still must be made!

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 am

I wouldn't defer without retaking. Your numbers won't make you a lock for any T14 schools even with ED unless you have VA residency.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:08 pm

FiveSermon wrote:I wouldn't defer without retaking. Your numbers won't make you a lock for any T14 schools even with ED unless you have VA residency.

Yes that is my plan. If I am to defer I will have to retake and increase my score. And I will only feel any sort of comfort with a 173+.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”