International Law: Columbia or NYU??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

International Law: Columbia or NYU?

Columbia
45%
NYU
55%

Total votes: 11

T14Dilemma

International Law: Columbia or NYU??

Postby T14Dilemma » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 am

So I was basically set on Columbia, but just got in to NYU so now my options are opening up a bit. I'm interested in international law (not sure if I want to do international human rights work or international corporate) and both of these schools really seem to have amazing, comparable programs. Ideally I'd like to work abroad (eventually...I understand doing that straight out of law school is REALLY tough). Anyways...before that I'd be perfectly happy living in NYC. I'm hoping someone might have some more information about their programs or just a perspective that I haven't considered that might help me with my decision. I'm also hoping to end up somewhere where the students are truly happy and have fun...just things to consider. Thanks! :)

chris0805

Re: International Law: Columbia or NYU??

Postby chris0805 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am

T14Dilemma wrote:So I was basically set on Columbia, but just got in to NYU so now my options are opening up a bit. I'm interested in international law (not sure if I want to do international human rights work or international corporate) and both of these schools really seem to have amazing, comparable programs. Ideally I'd like to work abroad (eventually...I understand doing that straight out of law school is REALLY tough). Anyways...before that I'd be perfectly happy living in NYC. I'm hoping someone might have some more information about their programs or just a perspective that I haven't considered that might help me with my decision. I'm also hoping to end up somewhere where the students are truly happy and have fun...just things to consider. Thanks! :)

You realize those two fields are completely different, right? It would be like saying, I'm not sure if I want to do low income housing advocacy or mergers and acquisitions. I'm really split. Normally, I'd say, hey people have divergent interests, but if you're interested in both simply because you like the idea of doing something "international," you might want to think more carefully about what exactly you want to be doing before you start planning things out once you get to law school. Also, it's very rare to be working abroad (long term) in human rights. I know a few people working abroad, but it's either one year gigs with regional human rights bodies or doing biglawesque stuff in London.

As for the two schools, they're practically identical and, feeling like I don't understand your exact interests that well, it's tough to make a recommendation. Both will probably be great for opening all kinds of doors. I graduate from CLS last year and loved it, but I also work with NYU grads who loved their experience.

lzyovrachievr

Re: International Law: Columbia or NYU??

Postby lzyovrachievr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:24 am

I'm going to mostly agree with the above. Both schools have great international programs, if that's what you think you want to pursue. I think you'd do well for either. What I would say is that I expect that if you'd rather do human rights issues, NYU may be slightly better, and if you'd rather do corporate, Columbia might be slightly better. Their schools just seem to focus more that way; that said, your chances of doing either type of international work, small as they may be, will be unlikely to change by attending one or the other.

Pick which one you like. They are pretty different in feel when you visit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”