WFU vs UGA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Deac or Dawg

WFU vs UGA

Postby Deac or Dawg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 pm

I've been accepted to both the University of Georgia and Wake Forest University (my undergrad alma mater). I'm currently locked in an internal struggle over which school to attend. As a life long North Carolinian and a Demon Deacon fan, Wake Forest holds a special place in my heart and would seemingly be a good school to attend if I chose to practice in NC. However, UGA's curriculum is very attractive, specifically the Business Law and Ethics program along with many clinical opportunities. My work experience has led me to conclude that I want to do some type of business law.

Does anyone have any information that would be beneficial to my decision? Fortunately, cost is not extremely important because a family member has offered assistance. More specifically, does anyone know which school will provide better job prospects in the business law field (I acknowledge that is very broad)? Anything you can offer is appreciated because this is a much tougher decision than I anticipated. Thanks.

bk1

Re: WFU vs UGA

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm

You can do business law out of either of them. UGA's curriculum is irrelevant.

If you want to work in NC, go to Wake. If you want to work in Georgia, got to UGA.

Deac or Dawg

Postby Deac or Dawg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 pm

I was assuming that a curriculum with a focus on business law would be helpful. Are you saying this is not true? I not only want to do something with business but I'd like to go to a school which aptly prepares me for it.

Beyond that, which do you think offers better job prospects? At this point I'm not 100% set on practicing in either NC or GA. I'm open to either really.

Thanks for the reply.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Deac or Dawg wrote:I was assuming that a curriculum with a focus on business law would be helpful. Are you saying this is not true? I not only want to do something with business but I'd like to go to a school which aptly prepares me for it.

Beyond that, which do you think offers better job prospects? At this point I'm not 100% set on practicing in either NC or GA. I'm open to either really.

Thanks for the reply.

Neither school dominates its state and both schools face many in and out of state competitors.

Focus on keeping your debt down. If you plan on applying places out of the state in which the school is located (places where you have ties to), WF may have a minimal advantage - although this does not translate into better job prospects.

However, debt should be your primary concern.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 pm

No law school really prepares you to be a lawyer. You learn that sort of thing as an intern and on the job. The other point is that employers don't care at all about the curriculum. UGA could prepare you 100 times better to be a lawyer than Harvard but employers would still hire the Harvard kid over the UGA kid every time.

Take a look at their old employment data here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Looking at that I would say that Wake might be a bit better than UGA, but they really are very comparable schools. I'd decide between NC and GA and let that guide you. Otherwise I would go to the one that is cheaper (actually this would probably be my guiding reason for picking between them if you feel that NC and GA are both okay). If they cost similarly and you can't decide between NC and GA then I would visit the schools themselves and decide which one you prefer.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 pm

I would say UGA because you would still be able to go back to NC with your ties and it would open up GA. The schools are pretty similar. UGA's more fun.

Deac or Dawg

Postby Deac or Dawg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Right now it looks like I wont have to take out debt and I am extremely grateful that fate has shined on me in such a way.

Thanks for the link to the employment data. I've also had some interest in doing the JD/MBA. Wake prefers the student to do the lone MBA year first and then settle into a law class. I've already missed the deadline for Wake MBA so that bird has flown. UGA prefers the MBA year to be second. Do you think an MBA will enhance my opportunities significantly? I've seen very differing opinions on this. If it wouldnt be very beneficial to my career then I'd say that only further levels the playing field between UGA and WFU for me. Thanks again.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Deac or Dawg wrote:Right now it looks like I wont have to take out debt and I am extremely grateful that fate has shined on me in such a way.

Thanks for the link to the employment data. I've also had some interest in doing the JD/MBA. Wake prefers the student to do the lone MBA year first and then settle into a law class. I've already missed the deadline for Wake MBA so that bird has flown. UGA prefers the MBA year to be second. Do you think an MBA will enhance my opportunities significantly? I've seen very differing opinions on this. If it wouldnt be very beneficial to my career then I'd say that only further levels the playing field between UGA and WFU for me. Thanks again.

The general view on tls is a JD/MBA is definitely not worth it. Especially if its not a top 10 MBA. Some even have said it hurts you as you become a risk to firms (not sure I believe this but the thought is it shows you have an interest in doing non-legal work and may change industries)

If you want to do business get a MBA, law- get a JD.

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 am

I would in terms of Job prospects consider not only Private Practice but also Federal Article III clerkships. IF you looked only at private prospects/NJ250 they would tend to favor Wake Forest. However, if you factor in the AIII clerkships, which typically lead to great job prospects down the road or just opens other doors, then you will see that UGA has a huge advantage.

But ultimately, these two schools are definite peers so its whichever state or school you like more

Hope this helps a little

Return to “Choosing a Law School”