Kent vs. University of Buffalo vs. John Marshall Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chb462

New

Kent vs. University of Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Post by chb462 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Chicago Kent: sticker

Buffalo: 17k/ year

John Marshall: Full ride ( stay top 1/3 of class)

I would like to be in a big city.Still waiting from other schools. I live in Buffalo and would like to get out but the low tuition is hard to give up.

I feel like Kent would be a hard pill to sallow given no scholarship. Not sure about John Marshall given the stipulation.

Any advice on these three schools would be appreciated.

TheFactor

Silver

Re: Kent vs. University of Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Post by TheFactor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:40 pm

No good options here, but Buffalo is the clear choice if you're dead set on going to law school this year.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Agreed with above, nothing really good but Buffalo is at least a decent option.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:04 pm

I would say Buffalo is the best choice out of those three. Allows you to minimize debt with no stipulations. Don't listen to people saying that Buffalo is a bad choice. If you work hard and make the connections you can make it work. My aunt graduated from Buffalo and she has worked in NYC, Boston, and DC. While not everyone is going to be able to do this, it is possible. While this isn't the norm, I have met and known a lot of succesful lawyers from UB. Just have to put the work in--the one thing most people on this site are afraid to do.

chb462

New

Post by chb462 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 am

StillHerexxx wrote:I would say Buffalo is the best choice out of those three. Allows you to minimize debt with no stipulations. Don't listen to people saying that Buffalo is a bad choice. If you work hard and make the connections you can make it work. My aunt graduated from Buffalo and she has worked in NYC, Boston, and DC. While not everyone is going to be able to do this, it is possible. While this isn't the norm, I have met and known a lot of succesful lawyers from UB. Just have to put the work in--the one thing most people on this site are afraid to do.

Thanks for the comment. This is the type of advice that people on TLS should be giving. I appreciate your help, its about time people realize everyone cant be in the T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:32 am

chb462 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:I would say Buffalo is the best choice out of those three. Allows you to minimize debt with no stipulations. Don't listen to people saying that Buffalo is a bad choice. If you work hard and make the connections you can make it work. My aunt graduated from Buffalo and she has worked in NYC, Boston, and DC. While not everyone is going to be able to do this, it is possible. While this isn't the norm, I have met and known a lot of succesful lawyers from UB. Just have to put the work in--the one thing most people on this site are afraid to do.
Thanks for the comment. This is the type of advice that people on TLS should be giving. I appreciate your help, its about time people realize everyone cant be in the T14.
I'd retake and reapply. Buffalo wouldn't be terrible, but let's be real here, the legal market is small and can't absorb all the grads. You don't need to go to a T14, but you don't need to go to Buffalo. Everyone works hard. You may not get a legal job. Ever.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 am

I agree- I have an aunt who went there as well and now works in MPLS as senior legal counsel to a major corp. She's reiterated to me many times how minimizing her debt at UB was a great move, it gave her the ability to move around and take chances on new jobs etc.

At the end of the day, you can definitely be successful coming from a school like UB, but the detractors aren't wrong- it will be difficult and unlikely given the ecomomic climate we're living through, especially in Buffalo.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:42 am

Also, I have talked to a number of ub grads that are higher up in big firms, and they explained that they hire ub grads more often than higher ranked schools because the ub students have a chip on their shoulders and the higher ranked kids are basically silver spoon fed jerkoffs.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 am

JM scholarships are a scam. Do yourself a favor, and remove them from consideration.

How much do you value living in a big city for three years? If the answer is anything less than 100k, go to Buffalo. Otherwise, Kent is not an awful choice. That said, 200k in undischargable debt to gain entry into one of the most competitive legal markets in the country is a risky proposition.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”