Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Berkeley at sticker
20
67%
UCLA with $60k over 3 years
7
23%
Texas at sticker
0
No votes
Texas if they give me more aid than UCLA
0
No votes
Georgetown at sticker
1
3%
Georgetown if they give me more aid than UCLA (unlikely)
2
7%
 
Total votes: 30

dowelldoinggood
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby dowelldoinggood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi friends,

I think I've made my decision, but I want all the input possible so I know I've really thought things through.

I've been accepted to Berkeley, UCLA, Texas, and Georgetown (still no word from NYU, so I doubt I'll be headed there). I want to do public interest law--specifically work on immigrant worker issues--either with a union or abroad in migrant sending countries. Neither of those two careers are considered "qualifying employment" for the federal IBR public interest loan repayment program, so keeping my costs as low as possible is important. Of course, even with 60k from UCLA, I'll still be taking out over 100k in loans, so I may be forced into different qualifying work anyway.

Berkeley is my dream school. I went to the admitted students weekend and loved it. UCLA is also great--I was accepted into the David Epstein program which seems really supportive and wonderful, and I can specialize in Critical Race Studies which is right up my ally. I'm pretty sure I want to be in California after law school so those are my two top choices. Of course, Texas is a really good value and everyone loves Austin (I've never been to the state). I suppose I could try to leverage $$ out of them with UCLA's offer and try to get them in a bidding war.

I wrote Berkeley and asked them to make my decision easier...Dean Tom seemed empathetic and said he passed on my email and had his fingers crossed for me.

Assuming that doesn't bare much fruit, what do you all suggest? My gut says UCLA is the best option, but I keep have people telling me that my law school will be the first thing on my resume for the rest of my life, and getting to put Berkeley on top is a big effing deal.

Que piensan ustedes???

dowelldoinggood
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby dowelldoinggood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm specifically interested in hearing from those of you who would go to Berkeley over UCLA in this situation.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby bhan87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:34 pm

First things first, Texas and Georgetown should not be considered because:

1. You want CA
2. Texas and UCLA are peer schools so you should be considering $$ and Gtown is not worth an extra $60k

The real question is if Berkeley is worth the extra $60k for your interests.

Also, you should contact Berkeley's Financial Aid office and inquire about their LRAP requirements. While you may not qualify for IBR, you may still be able to get institutional assistance from Berkeley (I imagine they have some provisions to help students in your position).

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/LRAP_ ... arison.pdf

As it indicates in this description, you may be able to get onto their standard LRAP program. If this is the case, I'd definitely go with Berkeley as LRAP will help minimize the impact of the extra $60k

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby aesis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm

dowelldoinggood wrote:Assuming that doesn't bare much fruit, what do you all suggest? My gut says UCLA is the best option, but I keep have people telling me that my law school will be the first thing on my resume for the rest of my life, and getting to put Berkeley on top is a big effing deal.

Que piensan ustedes???


60k IMO is not enough to warrant turning down Berk for UCLA.

If you want CA PI then you need to go to Berk.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby bhan87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:36 pm

aesis wrote:
dowelldoinggood wrote:Assuming that doesn't bare much fruit, what do you all suggest? My gut says UCLA is the best option, but I keep have people telling me that my law school will be the first thing on my resume for the rest of my life, and getting to put Berkeley on top is a big effing deal.

Que piensan ustedes???


60k IMO is not enough to warrant turning down Berk for UCLA.

If you want CA PI then you need to go to Berk.


This.

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:49 pm

bhan87 wrote:First things first, Texas and Georgetown should not be considered because:

1. You want CA
2. Texas and UCLA are peer schools so you should be considering $$ and Gtown is not worth an extra $60k

The real question is if Berkeley is worth the extra $60k for your interests.

Also, you should contact Berkeley's Financial Aid office and inquire about their LRAP requirements. While you may not qualify for IBR, you may still be able to get institutional assistance from Berkeley (I imagine they have some provisions to help students in your position).

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/LRAP_ ... arison.pdf

As it indicates in this description, you may be able to get onto their standard LRAP program. If this is the case, I'd definitely go with Berkeley as LRAP will help minimize the impact of the extra $60k


Not only could Berkeley become relatively cheaper because of a better LRAP, but you also will have more opportunities to have a job period.

dowelldoinggood
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby dowelldoinggood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Ok, thank you all for your input. Certainly giving me more to consider/(make myself crazy over). It's so difficult to figure out the LRAP stuff and how much difference a better LRAP at Berkeley will have vs. more money up front from UCLA.

Any of you want to make an argument for UCLA? I'm especially interested in hearing from Epsteiners who chose between both and went with UCLA.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby sarahh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

bhan87 wrote:First things first, Texas and Georgetown should not be considered because:

1. You want CA
2. Texas and UCLA are peer schools so you should be considering $$ and Gtown is not worth an extra $60k

The real question is if Berkeley is worth the extra $60k for your interests.

Also, you should contact Berkeley's Financial Aid office and inquire about their LRAP requirements. While you may not qualify for IBR, you may still be able to get institutional assistance from Berkeley (I imagine they have some provisions to help students in your position).

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/LRAP_ ... arison.pdf

As it indicates in this description, you may be able to get onto their standard LRAP program. If this is the case, I'd definitely go with Berkeley as LRAP will help minimize the impact of the extra $60k


No for the class of 2013 and beyond, you have to do IBR to be covered by their LRAP.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/194.htm
You can still do IBR, but you won't get the public service loan forgiveness, which means you are screwed after 25 years if the tax code does not change.
UCLA says: "Starting with the graduating Class of 2011, UCLA's LRAP debt service for all applicants will be determined based on the IBR repayment regardless of the applicant's actual repayment plan." So I guess they will give you the money based on IBR, but you can do the standard plan. On their website, Berkeley says you have to do IBR, but maybe they would allow the same thing. I would call them and ask.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby bhan87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:17 pm

sarahh wrote:
No for the class of 2013 and beyond, you have to do IBR to be covered by their LRAP.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/194.htm
You can still do IBR, but you won't get the public service loan forgiveness, which means you are screwed after 25 years if the tax code does not change.
UCLA says: "Starting with the graduating Class of 2011, UCLA's LRAP debt service for all applicants will be determined based on the IBR repayment regardless of the applicant's actual repayment plan." So I guess they will give you the money based on IBR, but you can do the standard plan. On their website, Berkeley says you have to do IBR, but maybe they would allow the same thing. I would call them and ask.



According to that site for Class of 2013 beyond:
Qualifying employment is defined as greater than half-time work for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization or an agency of government in law-related employment. It includes but is not limited to prosecutors, public defenders, military JAG corps, legislative staff, and administrative agency staff that make substantial use of legal skills, for example, by requiring passage of the bar or otherwise drawing heavily on law school training. Positions with international NGOs or foreign governments meeting the above requirements can qualify for LRAP coverage. Non-tenure track academic positions at nonprofit educational institutions, including but not limited to clinical instructors and research fellows, can also qualify. Tenure track academic positions and positions in private firms, even if doing public service work, do not qualify. A preliminary review of prospective jobs by the LRAP Coordinator is available and encouraged.


You should ask about the specifics with the financial aid office

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Berkeley (sticker) v UCLA (60K) v Texas v Georgetown for PI

Postby sarahh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:28 pm

The issue is not coverage under the LRAP - the issue is that the work does not qualify for public service loan forgiveness under IBR. It will be a problem at any school whose LRAP requires IBR.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawcapture, merde_happens, TheSpanishMain and 15 guests