Texas vs. BU?? Help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
idratherbetraveling

Texas vs. BU?? Help!

Postby idratherbetraveling » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Trying to decide between BU ($) or Texas out-of-state tuition. I visited UT and loved it, but I've also previously lived in Boston and I like that city as well. Geography is a factor only in the sense that I want to have some geographic mobility (leave TX if I want or get out of New England if I want in 3 years).

My question is, which school will get me better job prospects? UT is much higher ranked and that would seem to bode well for applying to jobs, but from everything I've heard, BU has pretty decent career prospects as well. I would be paying approximately $20k more per year to go to UT, but if it gets me a job that pays $20k more per year, then I would be okay with that (let me know if I'm terribly misguided and I shouldn't be okay with that...)

Where should I go? #1 criteria is job prospects, #2 is finances, and #3 is geographic mobility upon graduation.

Whatever1

Re: Texas vs. BU?? Help!

Postby Whatever1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:48 pm

idratherbetraveling wrote:Trying to decide between BU ($) or Texas out-of-state tuition. I visited UT and loved it, but I've also previously lived in Boston and I like that city as well. Geography is a factor only in the sense that I want to have some geographic mobility (leave TX if I want or get out of New England if I want in 3 years).

My question is, which school will get me better job prospects? UT is much higher ranked and that would seem to bode well for applying to jobs, but from everything I've heard, BU has pretty decent career prospects as well. I would be paying approximately $20k more per year to go to UT, but if it gets me a job that pays $20k more per year, then I would be okay with that (let me know if I'm terribly misguided and I shouldn't be okay with that...)

Where should I go? #1 criteria is job prospects, #2 is finances, and #3 is geographic mobility upon graduation.

Job Prospects out of UT are great. Best school in Texas, so do well there and have your pick of jobs in Dallas or Houston. COL is cheaper in Texas so I think it's a wash. As far a mobility, might be easier out of BU. So I'd say first 2 criteria to UT, last one to BU.

Can't go wrong either way, honestly, but I'd go to UT if it were me. Undisputed best school in its state and I happen to love that state.

bk1

Re: Texas vs. BU?? Help!

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:54 pm

1. They are pretty close in terms of job prospects. UT will be better in TX, BU better in the northeast. Any edge that one of them might have is going to be marginal in these regard.

2. $60k is a big deal, but it really depends on exactly how much each will cost you (e.g. are you talking 40k debt vs 100k debt or 100k debt vs 160k debt?). You can't look at it like one of them will get you a job that will pay 20k/year more. Look at like, at each school you have a 30% chance of getting a job that pays 160k and a 70% chance of getting a job that pays 50k.

3. I would bet that neither is going to give you a long term leg up in geographic mobility and that that mobility will hinge more upon you, the connections you've made, and the jobs you've had. Immediately of course they place in different areas so UT will have you in TX and BU will have you in the northeast (Boston/NYC).

Honestly you should either decide whether you prefer to be in the northeast or TX immediately upon graduation, or if that is pretty close then follow the money and go to BU because everything else about these schools is pretty close.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”