Columbia with $30K vs. Northwestern with $75K

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia with $30K or Northwestern with $75K

Columbia
75%
Northwestern
25%

Total votes: 55

jman77

Columbia with $30K vs. Northwestern with $75K

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm

So I have to decide whether or not to deposit at Northwestern tomorrow. I am still considering one other school, but that option is contingent on some things happening (not too optimistic at this point).

I would like to practice in Southern California after law school. I am also pretty debt averse. In addition to the difference in scholarships, I figure cost of living would be lower in Chicago compared to NYC. However, I seem to be under the impression that it would be easier for me to get back to SoCal from CLS.

Edit: I have visited both schools and liked CLS better. I also liked NYC better than Chicago (the fact that it was raining and foggy in Chicago during the ASW might have had something to do with that). I probably will end up in Big Law for awhile (I don't have much choice on this matter) regardless of which school I attend. But again, I am pretty debt averse. Is the difference in COA enough to justify picking NW over CLS?

I would appreciate your votes and more importantly, your thoughts. Thanks!
Last edited by jman77 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

camelcrema

Re: Columbia with $30K vs. Northwestern with $75K

Postby camelcrema » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 pm

We met at Columbia's ASW, so really the only reason I voted CLS is because I think you want to be there :)

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 pm

I envy your position. I have 90k from Northwestern and 0 from Columbia, same deposit deadline tomorrow. This kept me up for maybe an hour last night, but every single factor for me besides money swings in Columbia's favor. Literally every single factor. Think about the factors that favor CLS for you, and ask yourself is that worth 45k to you? (not just 45k now, but also 45k over your whole life because that's how long you'll have this degree, assuming you don't transfer)

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I picked CLS with a much larger $ gap between the two...Was it a good decision? We shall see...

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:02 pm

This is a no-brainer. Columbia all the way.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 pm

lakerfanimal: Did you try to negotiate with CLS? That's how I got the $30K, using my Northwestern offer, ironically. I did not have any other offers to leverage since I got WL'd pretty much everywhere between CLS and Northwestern. Still waiting to hear from NYU.

jtemp: I know, you turned down the Wigmore. Hehe. Gutsy move, man.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:06 pm

If you're actually debt averse you should go to a worse school with a larger scholarship.

Since you don't actually seem to be truly debt averse (seriously, the most debt averse option you are considering is going to leave you in nearly 150k debt?) I think you should take CLS considering you prefer it for various reasons and 150k debt at NU is still soulcrushing.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I probably understand the rationale for those who voted for CLS. Would any of those who voted for Northwestern mind sharing their reasons?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:07 pm

jman77 wrote:I probably understand the rationale for those who voted for CLS. Would any of those who voted for Northwestern mind sharing their reasons?

They saw a poll and like clicking buttons.

Edit: Columbia definitely has more prestige and thus a wider reach, making SoCal more attainable. Columbia will give you a far better chance at biglaw, so you don't have to bite your nails about being in the top 25%. Columbia has a location you prefer. If you had 100k or more from NU you might have a tough decision on your hands. As it is all signs point to Columbia as the better option.
Last edited by sgtgrumbles on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:08 pm

bk1 wrote:If you're actually debt averse you should go to a worse school with a larger scholarship.

Since you don't actually seem to be truly debt averse (seriously, the most debt averse option you are considering is going to leave you in nearly 150k debt?) I think you should take CLS considering you prefer it for various reasons and 150k debt at NU is still soulcrushing.

I do have a full scholly at WUSTL and $89K from Vandy, but almost everyone I've spoken with, including actual practicing lawyers, have advised me those schools are still not worth it considering my objectives. I wish I had some better options at lower schools, but my cycle has really been a weird one.

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:11 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
jman77 wrote:I probably understand the rationale for those who voted for CLS. Would any of those who voted for Northwestern mind sharing their reasons?

Edit: Columbia definitely has more prestige and thus a wider reach, making SoCal more attainable. Columbia will give you a far better chance at biglaw, so you don't have to bite your nails about being in the top 25%. Columbia has a location you prefer. If you had 100k or more from NU you might have a tough decision on your hands. As it is all signs point to Columbia as the better option.

Makes sense. I see from your LSN profile that you also got money from NU. I assume you've written that option off since you have NYU?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:

This. These polls are generally useless.

OP, I'd pick Columbia.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 pm

jman77 wrote:I do have a full scholly at WUSTL and $89K from Vandy, but almost everyone I've spoken with, including actual practicing lawyers, have advised me those schools are still not worth it considering my objectives. I wish I had some better options at lower schools, but my cycle has really been a weird one.

This is true, but saying you are debt averse (at least in my opinion) doesn't mean anything unless you have an option that is 100-120k debt or less. Above that and you are pretty much forced into biglaw/LRAP or bust.

Since you want SoCal and don't have an appreciable scholarship offer from UCLA/USC I say take CLS but realize that the debt you are forsaking your debt aversion for your SoCal desire.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 pm

jman77 wrote:lakerfanimal: Did you try to negotiate with CLS? That's how I got the $30K, using my Northwestern offer, ironically. I did not have any other offers to leverage since I got WL'd pretty much everywhere between CLS and Northwestern. Still waiting to hear from NYU.

Yeah I sent them offers from Duke and Cornell and I got 0 from CLS. Was yours need based? My EFC is more than 10k so I think that may have hurt me.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:20 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
jman77 wrote:lakerfanimal: Did you try to negotiate with CLS? That's how I got the $30K, using my Northwestern offer, ironically. I did not have any other offers to leverage since I got WL'd pretty much everywhere between CLS and Northwestern. Still waiting to hear from NYU.

Yeah I sent them offers from Duke and Cornell and I got 0 from CLS. Was yours need based? My EFC is more than 10k so I think that may have hurt me.

Not 100% sure, but their letter said it was a scholarship (actually, 2 separate ones - I negotiated their initial offer). That's actually another factor that draws me to CLS: they have been very responsive and positive to my negotiations; Northwestern just flat out said no, although they did explain the rationale.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:27 pm

jman77 wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:

Not 100% sure, but their letter said it was a scholarship (actually, 2 separate ones - I negotiated their initial offer). That's actually another factor that draws me to CLS: they have been very responsive and positive to my negotiations; Northwestern just flat out said no, although they did explain the rationale.

Wth haha. NW has been a lot nicer in terms of financial aid to me than CLS has been. Weird...

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
jman77 wrote:I do have a full scholly at WUSTL and $89K from Vandy, but almost everyone I've spoken with, including actual practicing lawyers, have advised me those schools are still not worth it considering my objectives. I wish I had some better options at lower schools, but my cycle has really been a weird one.

This is true, but saying you are debt averse (at least in my opinion) doesn't mean anything unless you have an option that is 100-120k debt or less. Above that and you are pretty much forced into biglaw/LRAP or bust.

Since you want SoCal and don't have an appreciable scholarship offer from UCLA/USC I say take CLS but realize that the debt you are forsaking your debt aversion for your SoCal desire.

The weird thing is that I got WL'd at USC and got the exact same money from UCLA that CLS has offered.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:37 pm

jman77 wrote:The weird thing is that I got WL'd at USC and got the exact same money from UCLA that CLS has offered.

Nothing came from haggling with UCLA or LOCI+haggling with USC?

I'm assuming you tried since you did it with CLS.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
jman77 wrote:The weird thing is that I got WL'd at USC and got the exact same money from UCLA that CLS has offered.

Just got WL'd at USC Monday, still considering whether to do the video LOCI thing. Believe me, I have tried with UCLA. They have been very responsive, just not positive. :D

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:19 am

So I've decided not to deposit at Northwestern today. Thank you too all who weighed in.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:06 pm

jman77 wrote:So I've decided not to deposit at Northwestern today. Thank you too all who weighed in.

Congrats on making the decision! Enjoy Columbia/NYC. (I'd have made the same call.)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 pm

bk1 wrote:

Really? UCLA is... confusing.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Dany wrote:
jman77 wrote:So I've decided not to deposit at Northwestern today. Thank you too all who weighed in.

Congrats on making the decision! Enjoy Columbia/NYC. (I'd have made the same call.)

Thanks! I initially regretted letting that money go in the immediate aftermath, but now I'm very happy with my decision.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm very debt averse, but a difference in 45K? I'd pick Columbia.

Edit: And it looks like you would as well. Congrats on your choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”