Is this a good choice???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jfb

Is this a good choice???

Postby jfb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Please guide me. I'm between Penn (39k), ucla (113k), and Nu (120k) and am leaning toward NU. All scholarship amounts are 3 year totals.

I am not sure what I want to do upon graduation but would like the opportunity to clerk and do biglaw for a couple years. I would also like to have a fighting chance of entering academia at some point in my career. I would prefer to work in either the northeast (boston or nyc) or cali. I will also be married by the time I start school, so keeping debt low is important to me. I am learning toward NU w/ 40k/year and no stips. Is this a good choice considering my other options and tentative career/location goals??

sonervous88

Re: Is this a good choice???

Postby sonervous88 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:34 pm

yes. good choice.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm

sonervous88 wrote:yes. good choice.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

No question.

shortporch

Postby shortporch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Speaking frankly, a "fighting chance" at academia should not be a serious factor in your consideration.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:06 pm

shortporch wrote:Speaking frankly, a "fighting chance" at academia should not be a serious factor in your consideration.

Yeah, you probably need to be in the top 10 students at either of these schools to have that chance. What I mean is that you should choose NU. It is a good choice.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Sentry wrote:

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Agreed. Whether you have a chance at academia is going to deal with your success as a law school student. Perhaps Penn and NU would give you a bit of a leg-up over UCLA, but I don't even know if that is the case. You'll need to do well and be on a journal (unless you become an expert in a field as a lawyer and get to academia via that route).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:26 pm

NU is a good choice for NYC. If you have ties to Boston or CA it is probably a decent enough choice for those too (though UCLA is probably a better bet purely for CA). None of these are going to give you more than a snowball's chance in hell at academia. Clerking is going to be tough as well, possible, but still rare (think 5-10% chance).

Take the 120k at NU for biglaw and accept that a clerkship will be very difficult and that academia will be nigh impossible.

jfb

Postby jfb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. The academia thing aside, I'm glad to see that it seems like NU would be the best option for me. Anyone else care to weigh in??

Also, just wondering not challenging, on what are you basing the conclusion that academia from NU would be close to impossible??

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:28 am

jfb wrote:Thanks for the replies. The academia thing aside, I'm glad to see that it seems like NU would be the best option for me. Anyone else care to weigh in??

Also, just wondering not challenging, on what are you basing the conclusion that academia from NU would be close to impossible??

Yes, NU is pretty clearly the best option here.

Academia is tough from any school, and extremely improbable from any school not named Harvard, Yale, or Stanford (and to a much lesser extent, Chicago). I'll dig up the numbers for you in a second, but I doubt more than a couple of students from NU enter into legal academia in a given year.

Edited: This is from 2008, but as you can see only 3 Northwestern alums were placed as law professors: http://lsolum.typepad.com/legaltheory/2 ... rsion.html.

1. Yale University-30
2. Harvard University-25
3. Stanford University-12
4. Columbia University-9, University of Michigan-9 (Tie)
6. New York University-5, University of California-Berkeley-5, University of Chicago-5 (Tie)
9. Georgetown University-3, Northwestern University-3, University of Virginia-3 (Tie)

Here are the numbers from 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 combined (ranked by % of applicants hired): http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... iring.html.

LAW SCHOOL-----TOTAL JD APPLICANTS 2006-08----JD APPLICANTS HIRED 2006-08-----% HIRED 2006-08
Yale------------------------ 97 ------------------------------ 49 ----------------------------- 51%
Stanford---------------------37 -------------------------------19 -----------------------------51%
Chicago---------------------28 --------------------------------12------------------------------43%
Illinois-----------------------8----------------------------------3-------------------------------38%
Harvard--------------------126---------------------------------47------------------------------37%
Minnesota------------------11---------------------------------4---------------------------------36%
Virginia----------------------40--------------------------------14--------------------------------35%
Northwestern----------------18--------------------------------6---------------------------------33%

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:55 am

bk1 wrote:NU is a good choice for NYC. If you have ties to Boston or CA it is probably a decent enough choice for those too (though UCLA is probably a better bet purely for CA). None of these are going to give you more than a snowball's chance in hell at academia. Clerking is going to be tough as well, possible, but still rare (think 5-10% chance).

Take the 120k at NU for biglaw and accept that a clerkship will be very difficult and that academia will be nigh impossible.

shortporch

Postby shortporch » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:00 am

For some reason, virtually every person throws out "academia" as one possible area of interest. There are something in the area of 150 to 200 academia slots every year. Many of them these days include individuals with a PhD (or sometimes an LLM) on top of the JD.

To put that in comparison, there are about 45,000 law school graduates each year. There are around 35-40 Supreme Court clerks each year. The summer associate classes for Wachtell, Cravath, and S&C in 2009 (combined) were around 250; the combined classes in 2010 were around 120.

Academia can't seriously be "one" of many alternative dream careers for most students. There are 2-3 Northwestern or Penn academics hired each year. Much more will turn on school performance, ability to publish, pursuit of an advanced degree, or alternative factors.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 am

Knock wrote:
jfb wrote:Thanks for the replies. The academia thing aside, I'm glad to see that it seems like NU would be the best option for me. Anyone else care to weigh in??

Yes, NU is pretty clearly the best option here.

Academia is tough from any school, and extremely improbable from any school not named Harvard, Yale, or Stanford (and to a much lesser extent, Chicago). I'll dig up the numbers for you in a second, but I doubt more than a couple of students from NU enter into legal academia in a given year.

Edited: This is from 2008, but as you can see only 3 Northwestern alums were placed as law professors: http://lsolum.typepad.com/legaltheory/2 ... rsion.html.

1. Yale University-30
2. Harvard University-25
3. Stanford University-12
4. Columbia University-9, University of Michigan-9 (Tie)
6. New York University-5, University of California-Berkeley-5, University of Chicago-5 (Tie)
9. Georgetown University-3, Northwestern University-3, University of Virginia-3 (Tie)

Here are the numbers from 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 combined (ranked by % of applicants hired): http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... iring.html.

LAW SCHOOL-----TOTAL JD APPLICANTS 2006-08----JD APPLICANTS HIRED 2006-08-----% HIRED 2006-08
Yale------------------------ 97 ------------------------------ 49 ----------------------------- 51%
Stanford---------------------37 -------------------------------19 -----------------------------51%
Chicago---------------------28 --------------------------------12------------------------------43%
Illinois-----------------------8----------------------------------3-------------------------------38%
Harvard--------------------126---------------------------------47------------------------------37%
Minnesota------------------11---------------------------------4---------------------------------36%
Virginia----------------------40--------------------------------14--------------------------------35%
Northwestern----------------18--------------------------------6---------------------------------33%

This is interesting...I assume that these statistics include those who have pursued other career paths prior to seeking an academic position? Regardless, there isn't much of a difference between the top schools - I would venture to guess that you need to do well where ever you go (few academic institutions want middling students, even if those students are from Yale). You'll need to hit it out of the park (slightly more so the farther you get down the prestige ladder).

In any event, I would agree that NO pre-law school student should choose a school based on academia prospects - it is simply too much of a gamble (especially when you're comparing schools as similar as NU and Penn).

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:59 am

NU

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 am

Dany wrote:
Sentry wrote:

See you in August!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”