The Final Battle: Cornell v. UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

Cornell w/75k - COA: ~$142,000
21%
UCLA w/90k - COA: ~$103,000
79%

Total votes: 29

NorCalBruin

The Final Battle: Cornell v. UCLA

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:22 pm

So, as a disclaimer, I'm already leaning pretty heavily towards one school, but I want to hear what other people think. It seems like TLS often digs up things that I haven't thought about. I really appreciate it, so thank you in advance.

Some general facts:
--Not sure that I want to practice biglaw, but would like the opportunity
--Probably want to end up in California (though I'm also open)
--I prefer warm weather, but don't have to have it
--I'm fairly outdoorsy (hiking, running, camping, etc.)

Cornell
--Pro's: Cornell has great BigLaw placement. It has more degree portability. I thought the facilities were pretty impressive. I was also impressed with the academic program, the current students, and the other prospectives at ASW. As an outdoorsy person, Ithaca was beautiful (Gorges, arguably).
--Con's: Cornell costs more. Ithaca is quite remote and it's extremely cold. There are more restaurants/bars/things going on than you might expect, but it's still a pretty small, lifeless city. It's far away from the friends, family, and world I know (California).

UCLA
--Pro's: I probably want to end up in California, and UCLA places well in California. UCLA costs significantly less than Cornell. UCLA has wonderful weather and a pretty campus. I thought the attitude and general demeanor of the students was a little happier and laid back than Cornell. Also, Los Angeles isn't perfect (I'm looking at you, traffic, COL, smog), but the Westside (including Westwood) is pretty great. Most of my best friends from college still live in LA. It's the safe choice--in the sense I know I'll like it because I've lived in the area before.
--Con's: UCLA's Big Law placement is weak compared to the T14. While I probably want to be in California, it would be nice to have the ability to go somewhere else, and UCLA's degree is less portable than Cornell's. There's also a "been there done that" phenomenon. Part of me thinks I should take this opportunity to do something completely different for three years.

bport hopeful

Re: The Final Battle: Cornell v. UCLA

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 pm

I voted UCLA, because of your west coast preference, but Ithaca is Gorges.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 pm

I voted UCLA because you're not sure you want biglaw and you seem to like Cali and have a nice base there. With 100k in loans, it will be very difficult, but you can pay them off without biglaw. 140k without biglaw starts to get into really scary territory.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:42 pm

I think UCLA because of Cali and warm weather. :)

mikunta

Postby mikunta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”