L&C vs. schools in LA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
summer937
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:41 am

L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby summer937 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 pm

If I consider big firm jobs, is Lewis & Clark really a bad choice? How would you compare it to lower ranked schools in LA (such as Chapman, Southwestern, etc.)? What about Loyola (Los Angeles)? Loyola recently jumped up a lot in terms of ranking, but I don't know how much I can count on it.

Also, if there is a chance that I would like to work in Northeast, still L&C can be a better choice than schools in 90-100's in east coast? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby RVP11 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Forget big firm jobs. You have less than a 5% chance at getting one from any of the schools you've named.

dvcook
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:06 am

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby dvcook » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Loyola has a great reputation in the CA/LA area...out of the schools you are looking at, you should def go there. Best chance for the best job.

summer937
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:41 am

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby summer937 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 pm

OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm

summer937 wrote:Also, if there is a chance that I would like to work in Northeast, still L&C can be a better choice than schools in 90-100's in east coast? Any thoughts would be appreciated!


Don't go to L&C and expect to land your first legal job in the Northeast.

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

summer937 wrote:OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?



why does no biglaw = no good job prospects? there are other good attorney jobs besides biglaw.

User avatar
fragged
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby fragged » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:03 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
summer937 wrote:OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?



why does no biglaw = no good job prospects? there are other good attorney jobs besides biglaw.


Because 22 year-olds think $150k and an office on the 50th floor = good job

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 pm

i mean, biglaw is a good job, but its represented as a much larger part of being an attorney on this board than it really is. I mean, 95%+ lawyers do not work in biglaw.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 pm

With these schools, location is more important. L&C gives you the best shot at the Northwest - other than that, of your choices I would go to Loyola, which has the best job prospects of the schools you've listed by a fair gap. No one in LA would recommend you go to Southwestern or Chapmen over Loyola absent some unique circumstances.

None of the schools you mentioned have strength in the Northeast. That doesn't mean you couldn't network on your own and make it happen, what it means is these schools will not make it happen for you or make it easier for you to find a job. I know Danteshek got an SEC internship on the east coast out of southwestern last summer for example. For federal gov. sometimes they like the geographic diversity you bring as a west coast school student to an east coast job, but the vast majority of employers will not be interested in you nor even heard of the law school you go to, when your talking about going from west coast to east coast w/ the schools yo've listed.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby RVP11 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 am

The Valkyrie wrote:
summer937 wrote:OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?



why does no biglaw = no good job prospects? there are other good attorney jobs besides biglaw.


...says the person laid off by her non-BigLaw firm because one partner had to bounce out.

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby The Valkyrie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 am

RVP11 wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:
summer937 wrote:OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?



why does no biglaw = no good job prospects? there are other good attorney jobs besides biglaw.


...says the person laid off by her non-BigLaw firm because one partner had to bounce out.



You may have a point, but the firm I was at was really a glorified solo operation, and it was a good job nevertheless.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: L&C vs. schools in LA

Postby Justathought » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:16 am

fragged wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:
summer937 wrote:OK, then knowing that none of those schools have good job prospects, how much does ranking matter? would you say it would be better off at L&C overall over 90-100 ranked schools in east coast?



why does no biglaw = no good job prospects? there are other good attorney jobs besides biglaw.


Because 22 year-olds think $150k and an office on the 50th floor = good job


While that may be true for many 22 year olds, biglaw is coveted because it is one way to service debt totals which can easily exceed 180k. Now, if you want public interest, debt levels matter less, but you better get PI, because if you don't, and if you also don't get biglaw, you will be neck deep in debt.

With that being said, IBR does make sticker at any school feasible, but still not a recommended course of action.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 3 guests