Columbia vs. Chicago...OH GOD PLS HELP! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Columbia (161,000)
63%
Chicago (118,000)
37%

Total votes: 118

dkt4

Bronze

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago...OH GOD PLS HELP!

Post by dkt4 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 pm

60k is a lot of money and Chicago's a great school.

with that said, if you enjoy CLS, go there. whether someone else tells you that chicago is a good place is irrelevant, and 60k is not so much that you will regret it substantially.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Have you attempted to negotiate aid? It might not be too late to see if Columbia could offer you some money.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Question, what were your numbers, if you don't mind?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:
You have to admit Hyde Park is some weird suburb of hell though.
I do in fact considered it to be a suburb of Gary Indiana.
but midwesterners seemed nice? I got called 'hon' a lot...that was kind of weird but friendly I guess?
I love Chicago. Hyde Park's just not the greatest neighborhood. Not bad for 1L. You'll only be going out 2-3 times a week and you can afford to cab it to the north side hot spots.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Your poll has the money value reversed, fyi.
I think he's saying the COA for each school.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

I thought that was out of pocket cost. I'm really confused now.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:05 pm

ahduth wrote:
I thought that was out of pocket cost. I'm really confused now.
polls are coa for each school

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:06 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:Have you attempted to negotiate aid? It might not be too late to see if Columbia could offer you some money.
I did.... they said they wouldn't up my scholarship anymore. I also tried to get an extension on making my decision from Chicago but that didn't work either haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:00 pm

OP - I'm assuming you took into account Columbia's higher tuition and increased COL in NYC?
If the difference is really only 40k (meaning, Chicago only gave you 20k more than Columbia in aid), with the additional 20k being dependent on when you pay your loans off, I guess TCR is Columbia, considering you seem to want to be there as opposed to Chicago.

I personally would take Chicago, given that it's a free 40k and they are basically peer schools, but I could care either way if I were in Chicago or NYC. And it sounds like you def want to be in NY.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:60K is a fuck ton of money for a peer school. Law schools are mostly filled with the same type of people, they teach mostly the same thing, and I doubt you are going to have a significantly better time in CLS than UChi. You will regret not taking 60K when you are working, and you realize it'll take 2 years of extreme savings while working in big law to pay back 60K because your 0L boner for columbia.

Chicago is the objectively correct choice here.
It's not so clear that Chicago is the objectively correct choice here. I recall last academic year (i.e. fall 2009) 70% of all OCI participants landed something out of OCI at Columbia. How many people out of all OCI participants landed something out of OCI at Chicago? Who the fuck knows. I'd bet the numbers were objectively worse than at Columbia though. Furthermore, on a subjective plane, I don't know a ton about Columbia, but I do know a lot of socially awkward/incredibly weird gunner type people attend Chicago. Chicago is known for its competitive nature, and the school is proud of that. I vote Columbia.

dukey

New

Post by dukey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:Chicago is the objectively subjectively correct choice here.
FTFY - 43k (accounting for loan interest too, says OP) is obviously a large sum, but hey, some people really need that comfort environment to excel.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:32 am

So stuff like this UN externship... are you guaranteed to get into it, or is it going to be you and every other person at Columbia who thinks it'd be cool (a lot of people) applying and they pick like two?

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 am

kurla88 wrote:So stuff like this UN externship... are you guaranteed to get into it, or is it going to be you and every other person at Columbia who thinks it'd be cool (a lot of people) applying and they pick like two?
It would be my assumption that it is a pretty competitive program, but there is a seminar that goes along with it so I don't think its just one or two people. I think if I do well and apply every semester i am eligible, try to talk to the prof. etc that would give me a leg up on having this opportunity. But to me, that externship is also a broader example of the opportunities available in new york as opposed to Chicago.

I am also considering that more people are interested in international programs at Columbia, which is great because these things are already established, but maybe going to Chicago would help me to stand out more?

Does anyone know how much Columbia's HRIP program gives you for a stipend? http://www.law.columbia.edu/programs/so ... rip-basics I know Chicago is 5,000 + 1,000 for travel, but it sounded more competitive.

cyxdev17

New

Post by cyxdev17 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:So stuff like this UN externship... are you guaranteed to get into it, or is it going to be you and every other person at Columbia who thinks it'd be cool (a lot of people) applying and they pick like two?
It would be my assumption that it is a pretty competitive program, but there is a seminar that goes along with it so I don't think its just one or two people. I think if I do well and apply every semester i am eligible, try to talk to the prof. etc that would give me a leg up on having this opportunity. But to me, that externship is also a broader example of the opportunities available in new york as opposed to Chicago.

I am also considering that more people are interested in international programs at Columbia, which is great because these things are already established, but maybe going to Chicago would help me to stand out more?

Does anyone know how much Columbia's HRIP program gives you for a stipend? http://www.law.columbia.edu/programs/so ... rip-basics I know Chicago is 5,000 + 1,000 for travel, but it sounded more competitive.

Hey OP, what's your decision? I'm pretty much in the same situation as you (excited about Columbia but paying $50K more). I think I'm going to go with Columbia still. Irrational, maybe, but I'll take broke and happy. :D

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm

cyxdev17 wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

Hey OP, what's your decision? I'm pretty much in the same situation as you (excited about Columbia but paying $50K more). I think I'm going to go with Columbia still. Irrational, maybe, but I'll take broke and happy. :D
Haha I actually had to call in sick today because i still haven't decided. I think I've decided on Columbia based on perceived greater professional opportunities during the academic year, but I'm going to get away from the computer, go for a run, and clear my mind for a bit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cyxdev17

New

Post by cyxdev17 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

Haha I actually had to call in sick today because i still haven't decided. I think I've decided on Columbia based on perceived greater professional opportunities during the academic year, but I'm going to get away from the computer, go for a run, and clear my mind for a bit.
By the way, did you try to negotiate by email or phone? I sent them my Chicago offer beforehand, so I don't know if there's any point in trying to negotiate after the fact, when I'm sure they've already considered my Chicago offer.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:32 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:60K is a fuck ton of money for a peer school. Law schools are mostly filled with the same type of people, they teach mostly the same thing, and I doubt you are going to have a significantly better time in CLS than UChi. You will regret not taking 60K when you are working, and you realize it'll take 2 years of extreme savings while working in big law to pay back 60K because your 0L boner for columbia.

Chicago is the objectively correct choice here.
It's not so clear that Chicago is the objectively correct choice here. I recall last academic year (i.e. fall 2009) 70% of all OCI participants landed something out of OCI at Columbia. How many people out of all OCI participants landed something out of OCI at Chicago? Who the fuck knows. I'd bet the numbers were objectively worse than at Columbia though. Furthermore, on a subjective plane, I don't know a ton about Columbia, but I do know a lot of socially awkward/incredibly weird gunner type people attend Chicago. Chicago is known for its competitive nature, and the school is proud of that. I vote Columbia.
IIRC Chicago claimed ~70% too. I don't know why you'd assume they'd be objectively worse. Chicago always had baller placement.

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Post by YaSvoboden » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:55 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:Also, I have been working for a few years and have painstakingly saved up some money for law school. I know how hard I work for that money and I know how hard it was to save it on my meager salary. I paid off my undergrad loans by myself. I am not a complete moron about money and I do understand what 60k is which is why I am having such a difficult time with this decision.
Two things, then:

1) Is the idea of working ~10,000 hours to go to Columbia over Chicago worth it in your mind?

2) Are you confident enough that what you project your law school experience will be at each school correlates with what your experience will actually be?
Am I correct in reading that OP is going to make $6/hour out of either school? If that's the case I really think they should just forgo law school and aim for shift manager at McDonald's or something.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:35 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
FTFY

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:46 pm

616rewind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:TLS is full of a bunch of morons who've never seen 6K on a W2 let alone 60K. Anyone hand waving away that kind of money is crazy.
Yes. HP is objectively awful, though.
Edit: in re OCI figures, 67 percent at CLS, 69 percent at Chicago (easily a consequence of the size differential). These are peer schools. To insinuate otherwise is ridiculous.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:10 am

Columbia was my number one when I applied, but debt sucks and they are peer schools, so I'd go with Chicago.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:37 am

Flip a coin.

I know I did when I chose voted on this poll and my life couldn't be any better.

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:36 am

I picked Chicago with $$ over sticker at Columbia. I'm from NY and thought I wanted to "get out of the city for a few years." Wrong. I regret it and don't really care about the $50k+ I'm saving anymore. I haven't gone through OCI yet, and I do actually like the law school itself, but as far as life goes... Chicago blows. If you decide not to come here, don't regret it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”